- The Washington Times - Thursday, March 9, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) — Police have targeted a bouncer in the gruesome slaying of a graduate student who disappeared after last call at the bar where he worked.

Imette St. Guillen, a Manhattan criminal justice student, was raped, strangled and suffocated by someone who stuffed a sock in her mouth and wrapped her head with packaging tape.

Her naked and bound body was found dumped on the side of a service road in Brooklyn on Feb. 25.

The bouncer, Darryl Littlejohn, has a criminal career that spans more than 20 years and has featured colorful aliases, including John Handsome. He once robbed a bank of more than $60,000 during a blizzard, but he has never been accused of a sex crime.

Mr. Littlejohn, 41, has not been charged in the death of Miss St. Guillen, 24, but in recent days, investigators have grilled him about the case and spent hours combing the bar, his Queens home and his van for evidence.

Mr. Littlejohn remained in legal limbo on Wednesday — held for a parole violation — as New Yorkers awoke to find his mug shot plastered across tabloid front pages.

Police said Wednesday that they were awaiting the results of forensic testing they think could solve the crime, but refused to elaborate. As a felon, Mr. Littlejohn’s DNA would be on file, which would allow authorities to try to match it with DNA from the body or potential crime scenes.

Police spokesman Paul Browne said only that the department was continuing to examine evidence.

Miss St. Guillen, a student at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, was last seen alive at the Pioneer Bar, where a manager recalled instructing Mr. Littlejohn to remove the patron at the 4 a.m. closing time after she lingered too long over a drink. The manager said he overheard the two arguing before they exited a side door.

Mr. Littlejohn shouldn’t have been working at the bar because the job kept him out past his 9 p.m. parole curfew. Officials say they only knew about a second job he had at a mortgage company.

He once held up a Long Island bank with two men at gunpoint in December 1995 amid a snowstorm.

“It’s tough enough in good weather, and you’re doing it in a blizzard,” one parole commissioner marveled at a 2004 hearing.

Mr. Littlejohn said he had learned to “think before reacting to anger” through counseling. But the board denied his parole, telling him, “Your violent and out-of-control behavior shows you to be a menace to society.”

Mr. Littlejohn was freed two months later in July 2004, after serving enough time to qualify for conditional release.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide