- The Washington Times - Sunday, May 14, 2006

GREENWICH, Conn. (AP) — James Keogh, a former executive editor of Time magazine who served in communication roles through the troubled years of the Nixon administration, died May 10 of respiratory failure. He was 89.

Born in Nebraska in 1916, he earned a bachelor’s degree from Creighton University in Omaha.

Mr. Keogh, who lived in Greenwich, joined the Nixon administration in 1969 as a special assistant to the president and became head speechwriter about a year later. He also was director of the U.S. Information Agency, which advocates U.S. interests abroad.

Mr. Keogh used the information agency’s Voice of America broadcasts to explain the Watergate scandal and President Nixon’s resignation, the New York Times reported yesterday.

“In explaining what is happening in this country as a result of the Watergate affair, we try to make the point to our overseas audiences that what they are seeing and hearing is this free and open society working out a problem,” he said in a speech in 1973.

Mr. Keogh began his journalism career in 1938 at the Omaha World-Herald. He was national affairs reporter at Time magazine in 1951 and eventually rose to executive editor. He was credited with design changes to the cover that continue to the present.

Before retiring in 1986, Mr. Keogh was executive director of the Business Roundtable, an association of chief executives, for 10 years.

He wrote two books about Nixon, “This is Nixon” and “President Nixon and the Press.”

Terence S. Kirk, 89,took pictures as POW

BURLESON, Texas (AP) — Terence Sumner Kirk, a former World War II prisoner of war who built a pinhole camera from cardboard scraps and used smuggled-in photo supplies to snap photographs of fellow malnourished Marines, died May 10 at his home after a heart attack. He was 89.

Mr. Kirk built the camera, although he could have been killed if Japanese soldiers found it, because he wanted to document the horrors the POWs endured during his four years in captivity. Mr. Kirk took eight photographs and managed to develop six.

He and other Marines walked out of the Fukuoko No. 3 prison in Japan in 1945 after soldiers announced that the war was over.

Mr. Kirk kept his secret for 38 years after signing a document with the War Department prohibiting prisoners held by the Japanese from telling their stories without government permission. His wife and children didn’t know he had been a prisoner of war.

But in 1983, convinced that the gag order no longer applied, Mr. Kirk released his memoirs and prison photographs in his book “The Secret Camera” and lectured all over the country about the Marines in the Japanese prison camps.

Born in Harrisburg, Ill., Mr. Kirk was one of seven siblings raised in an orphanage. He joined the Marines in 1937 and was later sent to China and assigned to a security detail at the U.S. Embassy. He was captured on the day the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

Mr. Kirk was awarded the Purple Heart in 2004, a six-decade delay because of bureaucracy.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide