- The Washington Times - Thursday, May 25, 2006


Resuscitated chicken dies; egg hatches

ARKADELPHIA — The exotic chicken that was saved from drowning by mouth-to-beak resuscitation more than three months ago has died, her owner said.

Boo Boo, the chicken who was revived after she was found floating face down in the family pond in February, died recently, said owner Jackie Calhoun. The fowl’s story was featured on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and the Animal Planet network.

“She had seizures,” Mr. Calhoun said. “I’ve come to the conclusion that’s what put her in the pond in the first place.”

In February, Mr. Calhoun said he removed the chicken from the water and his sister, Marian Morris, blew into its beak, causing its eyes to pop open. The chicken, who was named Boo Boo because she was easily frightened, lived to lay three eggs before dying, Mr. Calhoun said. Until then, Mr. Calhoun said, he didn’t know whether the bird was male or female.

“We incubated one of her eggs, and it hatched,” Mr. Calhoun said. “The chick has black-and-white markings, like Boo Boo’s.”


Student charged in explosive-device stunt

FAIRBURN — A ninth-grader at a private school was arrested and accused of taking an explosive device to school.

A teacher found the device Monday under bleachers at the football field at Landmark Christian School during field-day activities, Police Capt. J.T. Rogers said.

School Headmaster Matt Skinner said school officials alerted authorities after the device was found. About 600 students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12 were evacuated.

The student, who as a juvenile was not identified, was charged with bringing an explosive device on campus and faces jail time and up to $20,000 in fines if convicted. The student placed the device under the bleachers as a joke, Mr. Skinner said. “He indicated he was a little surprised by the reaction,” the headmaster said.


Court upholds ban on aerial advertising

HONOLULU — The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld Honolulu’s ban on aerial advertising, rejecting an appeal by pro-life advocates who said the rule restricted their free speech.

The federal court said the law was a reasonable restriction. The Center for Bio-Ethical Reform contended it had a right to fly 100-foot-long banners over Oahu displaying abortion images.


Deer attack three on campus

CARBONDALE — A year after the normally docile creatures attacked seven persons on a university campus here, the deer have turned bullish again.

Three persons were attacked by deer within minutes of one another Tuesday on a footpath at Southern Illinois University, police said yesterday. One doe probably was responsible for all three attacks, said Todd Sigler, the school’s public safety chief.

One worker needed stitches for a gash on the forehead; another suffered cuts, bruises and a sprained wrist; and a student was left with a scratched jaw. Two of the victims sought treatment.

The incidents this week occurred earlier in the fawning season than the attacks last year, which officials attributed to a combination of protective motherly instinct, squeezed habitat and, in some cases, people trying to approach fawns. There was no indication that anyone hurt Tuesday had provoked the deer, Mr. Sigler said.


Pakistani convicted in subway bomb plot

NEW YORK — A Pakistani immigrant was convicted yesterday of charges that he plotted to blow up one of Manhattan’s busiest subway stations in retaliation for the mistreatment of prisoners at Abu Ghraib in Iraq.

A federal jury in Brooklyn deliberated two days before convicting Shahawar Matin Siraj of conspiracy and other charges. He faces up to life in prison.

The defense had sought to portray Siraj, 23, as an impressionable simpleton who was lured into a phony plot by a paid informant eager to earn his keep. Prosecutors disputed that assertion, arguing that even if it was not the defendant’s idea to bomb a subway station, no law-abiding person would have gone along with it.

Siraj and another suspect in the plot, James Elshafay, were arrested a few days before the 2004 Republican National Convention carrying crude diagrams of their target — the subway station in Herald Square, a dense shopping district that includes Macy’s flagship department store. Elshafay immediately agreed to cooperate with the government.

Authorities said Siraj had no affiliation with known terrorist organizations. Instead, he caught the attention of the informant, Osama Eldawoody, and an undercover police officer with his anti-American rants at an Islamic bookstore where he worked.


Abduction suspect found dead

MINOT — The search for a 3-year-old girl resumed yesterday when the body of the man who authorities suspected took her was found after an apparent suicide.

Leigh Cowen, 22, was found Tuesday inside a van on a gravel road at Upper Souris National Wildlife Refuge, police Capt. Al Hanson said. Mr. Cowen appeared to have killed himself by carbon monoxide poisoning, Capt. Hanson said.

There was no trace of Reachelle Smith, who was last seen May 16, when she was put to bed at her home at night.

Authorities said Mr. Cowen lived with the girl’s aunt, who is her legal guardian. He had told the woman that the 3-year-old was staying with his mother. Police later learned that Mr. Cowen’s mother did not know the girl’s whereabouts and issued an Amber Alert.

Reachelle’s mother and aunt tearfully pleaded yesterday for her safe return. They said the girl has asthma and needs treatment for it.


Valedictorian cited for disrupting event

NASHVILLE — A high school valedictorian who interrupted his graduation ceremony to try to deliver the speech traditionally given by the student body president has been cited for disorderly conduct, his father said.

Chris Linzy, 18, grabbed the microphone as his name was called out Friday with the rest of his classmates and said about two sentences before he was cut off and removed from the ceremony.

After meeting with Gallatin High School Principal Rufus Lassiter on Monday, the student’s father, David Linzy, said he thought the situation was resolved with letters of apology to the school’s faculty and the school board. But the principal then “went down and swore out an arrest warrant,” Mr. Linzy told the Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only the student body president speaks during the school’s graduation ceremony. Chris Linzy said Monday that he thought he should have given a speech.

“I was the valedictorian, and I was the one who achieved the most,” he said.

David Linzy said his son was scheduled to appear in court on June 12.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide