- The Washington Times - Sunday, May 28, 2006


Angry youths rampage, force U.N. evacuation

DILI — Youths with machetes, slingshots and spears rampaged across East Timor’s capital yesterday, attacking people, burning houses and deepening a crisis that has sent thousands fleeing in terror despite the deployment of foreign troops.

Australian troops patrolled streets on foot and in armored vehicles and roared overhead in Black Hawk helicopters trying to calm the city. The soldiers disarmed one group of 40 young men, but other gangs were on the loose.

With chaos spreading, the United Nations said it would relocate employees’ families and nonessential staff to Darwin, Australia.

The violence, which began last week with attacks on police stations by unemployed soldiers, had so far killed at least 23 persons and injured dozens.


Medicine ordered for bird-flu outbreak

KUBU SIMBELANG — The World Health Organization put the maker of the global stockpile of the anti-bird-flu drug Tamiflu on alert for the first time after human-to-human transmission was suspected in Indonesia, officials said yesterday.

The organization said that a precautionary 9,500 doses from a separate WHO reserve, along with protective gear, were flown into Indonesia on Friday, but the shipment was not expected to be followed by movement of the global stockpile.

The Geneva-based organization put Swiss drug maker Roche Holding AG on alert hours later, said Jules Pieters, director of WHO’s rapid-response and containment group.


Rival militia sent back to streets

GAZA CITY — The Hamas-led government sent its private militia back into the streets of Gaza yesterday, a day after withdrawing the force to help calm an increasingly bloody standoff with forces loyal to President Mahmoud Abbas.

Hamas officials said the move wasn’t meant as a provocation, but Mr. Abbas’ Fatah movement said the deployment raised the chances of new fighting.


Suu Kyi to remain under house arrest

RANGOON, Burma — Nobel Peace Prize-winning pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi will remain under house arrest for another year, a Burmese official said yesterday.

The extension of a six-month detention order by the nation’s ruling junta, not yet officially announced, came despite international pressure and kept Burma at odds with the United States and most Western nations.

Mrs. Suu Kyi, 60, has spent about 10 of the last 17 years in detention. She was most recently taken into custody on May 30, 2003, after her motorcade was attacked by a pro-junta mob as she made a political tour of northern Burma.


Michael Jackson thanks loyal fans

TOKYO — Michael Jackson made his first public appearance since being acquitted on child-molestation charges, choking up as he thanked Japanese fans at an award ceremony yesterday.

“I’m honored to be in Japan again, and I’m very happy to be among the Japanese people because I love them very much,” Mr. Jackson said in a brief appearance at MTV Japan’s “Legend Award” ceremony at Yoyogi Olympic Stadium. “Thank you for your loyalty.”

Mr. Jackson, 47, has been living in the Middle Eastern kingdom of Bahrain since his June acquittal on child-molestation charges in California.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide