- The Washington Times - Sunday, May 7, 2006



Cause of shock death being investigated

A Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. spokeswoman said yesterday the company’s equipment did not touch a fence in Druid Hill Park that was electrified, leading to the death of a 14-year-old girl.

The girl was fatally shocked Friday about 8 p.m. as she leaned on the fence to stretch before a baseball game. A preliminary report stated a BGE wire was on the fence. The girl’s teammates saw her put her foot on the fence, and the next thing they knew she was on the ground, said a Baltimore City Fire Department spokesman. The girl was treated by paramedics, then taken to Sinai Hospital where she was pronounced dead.


Cycles, car crash closing Beltway

A crash involving several motorcycles and a car yesterday afternoon closed part of the Capital Beltway for more than two hours, according to the Maryland State Police.

Investigators said the driver of a car lost control and hit at least four motorcycles traveling in a pack on the Outer Loop near Branch Avenue. Two persons were flown to hospitals with serious trauma, and two others were hospitalized with less serious injuries.


Postal worker arrested in bomb threat

A U.S. Postal Service worker was arrested yesterday in connection with a bomb threat that forced the evacuation of two charter buses and the closure of the Capital Beltway for 90 minutes.

The woman, whose name was not released, called a passenger aboard a bus carrying other postal workers from Merrifield, Va., to Atlantic City, N.J., and said there was a bomb aboard, said a Maryland State Police spokesman.

Police stopped the bus in Silver Spring, searched it and found nothing dangerous, the spokesman said. The highway was closed from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. for the investigation. Passengers continued their trip about three hours later.

Investigators traced the call to the U.S. Postal Service center in Merrifield, and postal inspectors made the arrest, the state police said. Charges against the woman were pending. The Postal Inspection Service did not return a phone call seeking information.


Officer shoots, kills drug suspect

An Annapolis police officer Friday night fatally shot a drug suspect who had wrestled away a gun from a state trooper, according to officials.

The incident started about 10:30 p.m. when the trooper tried to arrest the man after watching what looked like a drug transaction. The man got back into his car and drove off, dragging the trooper, who had his arm caught in the door.

The car crashed, and the man fled. The trooper found him again, and the man tried to get inside the cruiser. As they struggled, the man went for the trooper’s gun, and a shot was fired. The suspect got the gun away from the trooper as the Annapolis officer arrived on the scene. The Annapolis officer tried to get the gun back, then shot the suspect as he attempted to point the gun toward the trooper, police said.



Scout camp opens in Prince William

The Boy Scouts opened a new camp yesterday in Prince William County.

The facility is designed specifically for Cub Scouts and is on the site where Walt Disney had tried to build a theme park before selling the land to the Boy Scouts in 1997 for $1.5 million. Officials had hoped for a facility closer to the District so younger scouts could also go camping. The next-closest one to the District is a three-hour drive to Goshen, Va. The $17 million camp covers more than 350 acres and will offer such activities as fishing, hiking and swimming. It also includes a 600-seat dining hall.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide