- The Washington Times - Sunday, November 12, 2006



Community mourns slaying of teenager

More than 250 people gathered to mourn the loss of a 17-year-old Baltimore girl who was stabbed to death near a light-rail stop last week, the latest example of the dangers many inner-city youths face because of troubled schools, inadequate work opportunities and high crime.

Nicole Edmonds was stabbed after midnight Tuesday, while walking away from the light-rail stop on West North Avenue with her younger brother Marcus, who was not injured. They were on their way home from working fast-food jobs in Linthicum. Three men and a woman jumped them.

“So many people around Baltimore city are calling this a senseless act,” brother Quentin Edmonds, 24, said to the mourners Saturday, as he described his own struggle to understand her killing.

“The act may be senseless, but her death is not meaningless.”

The Baltimore Sun reported that 20 persons 17 or younger have been killed this year in Baltimore. Last year, 13 juveniles were killed — the lowest number since 1984.

To her family and friends, Nikki was hardworking and caring, with a bright future.

“She was a real good friend,” said Shyteak Lawrence, 16, who read a poem at the service that he wrote, titled “If There be Pain.”

Fearing for her safety, Nikki’s parents withdrew her last year from Frederick Douglass High, one of the city’s most troubled schools, in favor of home- schooling.

Because she could not find a job close to her home, Nikki and her 16-year-old brother, Marcus, took jobs at a Wendy’s in Linthicum, which required about a one-hour commute each way. It was on that commute home that she was killed.

Police said four persons followed the siblings off the light rail and into the night. Two men held her brother down, while another man and woman chased her and stabbed her.

Authorities said the assailants were teenagers or young adults. Police said detectives were pursuing leads in the investigation.


MTA officer kills robbery suspect

A Maryland Transit Administration police officer killed a robbery suspect Saturday night at the Reisterstown Plaza Metro station, the site of three previous robberies in the past two weeks, police said.

Undercover MTA officers were at the station when they witnessed a robbery about 7 p.m., MTA Police Capt. David Marzola said.

An officer approached and identified himself. When the suspect pulled a handgun, the officer drew his gun and fired, killing the man, Capt. Marzola said.

Police were searching for two others thought to have been involved in the robbery. The robbery victim wasn’t hurt.

The officer will be on administrative leave while the shooting is investigated.



Two hurt in crash of small plane

Two persons were seriously injured yesterday when the single-engine plane they were in crashed into a tree during takeoff at the Williamsburg Jamestown Airport.

Chief Eldridge “Buster” Canaday of the James City County fire department said the pilot and a passenger were taken to Virginia Common-wealth University Medical Center in Richmond after the plane crashed about 11:30 a.m.

Their names were not released.

Chief Canaday said the Piper Cherokee Lance 180 crashed about 1,500 feet from the end of the runway.

He said the plane was registered to St. Petersburg, Fla.-based Engenius Inc. The plane was headed for ST. Petersburg when it crashed.

It was so rainy and windy that Capt. Canaday said he was surprised a plane was attempting to take off.

Officials haven’t determined the cause of the crash.


After brief vacation, emu returned home

An emu that wandered into a Stafford County home Thursday was retrieved by its owner.

The 4-foot-tall bird showed itself into the house after a man opened the front door to see why his dogs were barking.

The clawed bird lounged in the living room and rummaged through the kitchen for 30 minutes before animal control officials arrived.

The emu was taken to a farm for safekeeping before being claimed Saturday.

Mike Null, the county’s animal-control officer, said the emu traveled about four miles from home. Its owner told him that he had had problems with people coming onto his property and leaving the gate open.

Emus are native to Australia. They cannot fly, but they can run up to 30 mph in short bursts, making them difficult to catch.


60-mph winds cause accidents on I-77

Three tractor-trailers and a truck hauling a trailer overturned on Interstate 77 near Fancy Gap Mountain yesterday because of high winds, state police said.

The accidents all happened between 3:30 and 8 p.m. in Carroll County near the North Carolina border, Sgt. Michael Conroy said.

At least three persons were taken to the hospital, but Sgt. Conroy said none of the injuries appeared to be serious.

The National Weather Service issued a high-wind advisory for the area, estimating winds up to 60 mph.

The Virginia Department of Transportation warned motorists of the conditions on message boards along I-77 and nearby I-81 and via the 511 traffic and travel information system.

“It’s not all that uncommon to have our signs lit up about something at Fancy Gap,” said Chuck Lionberger, a VDOT spokesman. “That’s an area that’s known for wind and fog issues.”

But Sgt. Conroy said it was unusual for wind to cause so many accidents.

“I’ve never seen it like that,” he said.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide