- The Washington Times - Tuesday, October 17, 2006


Man indicted in Capitol breach

A federal grand jury yesterday indicted a Silver Spring man accused of running into the Capitol last month with a loaded handgun after driving through a construction entrance.

Carlos A. Greene, 20, was indicted on felony charges including assaulting a police officer, destroying government property, firearms offenses and drug trafficking.

The security breach was described as one of the worst in recent memory at the Capitol.

Mr. Greene, who was on probation in Maryland, was arrested Sept. 18 after he led police on a car chase, smashed into a wall then ran into the Capitol.



Investigators search mayor’s home

Investigators from the Maryland State Prosecutor’s Office have searched the home of Myles Spires Jr., part of an investigation into the spending of town money while he was mayor.

Investigators were seen taking boxes out of Mr. Spires’ home Monday, said Andrea McCutcheon, acting president of the Forest Heights Town Council.

The council suspended Mr. Spires last month after accusing him of obtaining town funds for personal and outside use and exceeding his authority in awarding contracts for town business.

Mr. Spires has disputed accusations of wrongdoing and said the town funds he received were travel advancements and reimbursements. State prosecutor Robert A. Rohrbaugh yesterday would not confirm or deny that an investigation is under way.

Mr. Spires’ suspension came less than a year after the Town Council ousted his predecessor, Joyce A. Beck, over assault charges that were later dismissed in court.


Condo buildings evacuated after roof collapse

Two condominium buildings were evacuated last night after water build-up on the roof caused ceilings and walls to collapse.

Building inspectors examined 26 units in the two buildings at the Park Terrace Condominiums on Veirs Mill Road, Montgomery County authorities said

Fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said roofers made improper preparations for yesterday’s rain, and large amounts of water built up on the roofs.

Debris fell on an 8-year-old girl, who was taken to the hospital for a checkup and was expected to be OK.


Fire leaves families homeless

Montgomery County arson investigators are trying to determine the cause of a fire that heavily damaged a part of a garden-style apartment complex yesterday.

The blaze broke out about 3:30 a.m. in the 1900 block of East-West Highway at the Rosemary Village Apartments.

Montgomery County fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said the fire began in a terrace-level unit. Twelve apartments were evacuated, and the building sustained about $200,000 in damage. Three or four families were temporarily displaced by the fire.

Montgomery County police arrested a man at the scene on an unrelated trespassing charge.


Two teens charged with bomb threats

Two students at Northeast High School have been charged with phoning in a series of bomb threats that prompted the evacuation of the school, Anne Arundel County police said yesterday.

The boys, ages 17 and 16, have been charged with making false statements concerning a destructive device and disruption of school activities.

The threats were called in Oct. 5 — among a glut of threats in the wake of the fatal shootings three days earlier of five girls at a one-room Amish schoolhouse in Pennsylvania.


Psychiatrist sentenced for defrauding Medicare

A psychiatrist will spend a year in home detention for billing Medicaid for services that were never provided, the state attorney general said yesterday.

Oparaugo Ihentuge Udebiuwa, 47, of the 400 block of West Central Avenue in Davidsonville, was sentenced to three years in prison with all suspended except 12 months to be served in home detention.

Baltimore Circuit Judge Lynn K. Stewart also ordered Udebiuwa to pay $32,000 restitution to the Medicaid program and to pay a penalty of $64,000.

Udebiuwa also will serve three years’ probation, which will be supervised until full restitution is made and unsupervised thereafter, Attorney General J. Joseph Curran Jr. said.

Udebiuwa’s practice is on Park Heights Avenue in Baltimore.

He pleaded guilty in June to five counts of misdemeanor Medicaid fraud for billing for services that he did not provide and for longer visits than he had actually provided. Occasionally, he billed for 17- to 18-hour workdays when he was in the office for only three hours.


Driver found in pond dies of injuries

A woman who was rescued last week when her sport utility vehicle became submerged in a pond has died of her injuries, authorities said.

Kelsie Esworthy, 18, died late Sunday night, the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office said.

Miss Esworthy was driving south on Shookstown Road at Gambrill State Park last Wednesday night when she struck a guardrail, went airborne, struck a tree and landed in the water.

Her two passengers were found standing on top of the SUV. Police pulled Miss Esworthy from the SUV, and bystanders helped pull her out of the pond.

The rescuers performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and Miss Esworthy was taken to University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.


New crime lab completed

State police officials yesterday announced the completion of a new crime lab that will significantly increase the efficiency of DNA analysis.

Police said the lab will be a resource not only for troopers but for law-enforcement agencies statewide now that all felons convicted in Maryland are required to submit a DNA sample for inclusion in a database.

The new laboratory has been operating since March, although equipment is still being installed.


Penalties dropped in harassment case

Disciplinary actions against seven members of the town fire company accused of harassing a black colleague have been dismissed after the man refused to attend a hearing.

The firefighters had faced punishment ranging from suspensions to probation, an attorney for the Taneytown Fire Company said.

Their accuser, Pernell Hammond, 32, a former firefighter and emergency medical technician who joined the Taneytown Fire Company in March, resigned in July after he said he was informed a nickname given to him was an acronym for a racial slur. He had been the department’s only black member.

The firefighters were told Oct. 2 that their punishments had been dismissed because Mr. Hammond said he would not attend an appeals hearing, Michelle Ostrander, the fire company’s attorney, told the Carroll County Times.

Mr. Hammond told the paper that he decided not to appear after receiving a letter advising him not to bring an attorney to the hearings and that he is considering a lawsuit against the company.

He said he has yet to receive an apology from the fire company and plans to move out of the county.



Businesses reopen after flooding

The city’s downtown reopened Monday, a week after flooding forced the retail district to close for the second time in seven years.

The Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency sent in teams to look at homes and businesses to determine whether to request federal disaster assistance, VDEM spokesman Bob Spieldenner said. The Small Business Administration also had a representative on hand, he said.

“We don’t see widespread damage, but for folks affected, it was definitely bad for them,” Mr. Spieldenner said.

Teams also were assessing flood damage in Isle of Wight and James City counties and in Poquoson, he said.

City Manager Rowland “Bucky” Taylor said the damage estimate so far in Franklin was $5 million. About 70 businesses — down from earlier estimates of 120 — and 35 homes had at least some damage, Mr. Taylor said.

Downtown had been closed since Oct. 9 because of flooding from the rain-swollen Blackwater River.

The city allowed business owners and residents to enter downtown for several hours Sunday afternoon to check their property.

With all the water from the flooding gone, downtown reopened for good at 6 a.m. Monday, and people set to work cleaning up and hauling items outside to air out.

“Everything seems to be working pretty doggone smoothly,” Mr. Taylor said. “There are some eager beavers.”

Flooding from Hurricane Floyd in September 1999 damaged or destroyed all of the 182 businesses downtown and about 100 homes in Franklin.


Coast Guard searching for missing fisherman

Coast Guard crews searched yesterday for a fisherman who apparently fell overboard from a fishing boat about 40 miles off the coast of Chincoteague.

The 44-year-old man was reported missing about 4 a.m. from the fishing vessel Lady Annie, home-ported in Hayes, Va.

The man did not have a life vest, the Coast Guard said.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide