- The Washington Times - Wednesday, October 18, 2006


Donations keep animal sanctuary open

KEENESBURG — A sanctuary for tigers, lions, bears and other carnivores said it will stay open after all, citing a surge in donations since it announced in August that it would have to close.

The Wild Animal Sanctuary said its managers also were motivated to stay open by a realization that it would be impossible to find new homes for most of the 150 or more animals.


Baby missing; social worker slain

HENDERSON — Police found a social worker beaten and stabbed to death in a western Kentucky home and issued an Amber Alert for the 10-month-old boy whom the woman had taken to the house for a visit with his mother, authorities said yesterday.

The child’s mother, Renee Terrell, 33, of Henderson, did not have custody of her developmentally disabled son, police said. She and her boyfriend, Christopher Wayne Luttrell, 23, were missing yesterday and were thought to have the child.

The child had been taken from his mother when he was 13 days old because of neglect, police said.

Police were called Monday afternoon when the social worker didn’t return to work after taking the baby, Saige Terrell, to visit his mother, said Henderson Police Sgt. Dwight Duncan.

The social worker was identified as Boni Frederick, 67, of Morganfield, who worked for the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services.


Heavy rains flood parts of state

NEW ORLEANS — Houses and roads flooded in northern Louisiana after the area received the most rain it has gotten in a single storm since Tropical Storm Allison in 1989, authorities said yesterday.

One of the hardest-hit areas was Grayson, a town in north-central Louisiana’s Caldwell Parish, which received 17 inches of rain between Sunday evening and yesterday morning, according to the National Weather Service.

Rainfall totals ranged widely across the state, from roughly an inch in New Orleans and 5 inches at Alexandria, in Central Louisiana, to nearly 11 inches at Toledo Bend dam, at the Texas-Louisiana border, the weather service reported.

The stormy weather — heavy rains and stiff winds — was spawned by a system that was a combination of tropical moisture and strong atmospheric disturbance, meteorologist Tim Destri said.


Woman convicted in daughter’s infection

BOSTON — A woman whose teenage daughter nearly died from an infection caused by a bellybutton piercing was convicted yesterday of endangering the girl’s life by failing to seek medical attention until she was gravely ill.

The girl developed an infection last year after piercing her own navel and inserting a ring.

Prosecutors said Deborah Robinson, 39, watched for several weeks as her 13-year-old daughter dropped from 115 pounds to 75 pounds, became incontinent and grew so weak that she could not get off the couch.

The girl suffered extensive organ damage from an infection that ravaged her body. For nearly a week, doctors were unsure whether she would survive. But after a series of operations and weeks of rehabilitation, she made a full recovery.

A jury convicted Robinson of wantonly and recklessly permitting substantial bodily injury to a child. She is scheduled for sentencing Oct. 26 and could get up to five years in prison.


Grouse befriends rural county family

DALOL — At least one family in rural Roseau County won’t be dining on grouse. Willie Krzoska and his wife, Martha, say they’ve been befriended by a grouse who showed up on their deck in April.

They have pictures showing “Birdie” on Mr. Krzoska’s lap. The bird even likes to ride with him.

“When I start up either the four-wheeler or lawn mower, she comes at me,” Mr. Krzoska said.


Police chase suspect to hospital, shoot him

BOWLING GREEN — Police chased a theft suspect into a hospital emergency room and fatally shot him after he threatened to harm a patient, authorities said yesterday.

Officers began chasing Daniel J. Rice, 30, Monday night after a pickup truck was reported stolen from a convenience store in this northwestern Ohio city, police Lt. Tony Hetrick said.

With police following him, Mr. Rice drove into the parking lot of Wood County Hospital and ran into the emergency room, when he stood over one of the two persons in a treatment room and threatened to kill him, Lt. Hetrick said.

A State Highway Patrol trooper tried to stop Mr. Rice with a stun gun, but the shock wasn’t effective, Lt. Hetrick said. Mr. Rice then reached into his waistband, and a Bowling Green officer shot him in the side, Lt. Hetrick said.

Mr. Rice, who lived in Nappanee, Ind., did not have a weapon, Lt. Hetrick said. No one else was hurt.


Chemical spill shuts down turnpike

TULSA — A chemical spill yesterday morning at the Port of Muskogee forced the evacuation of about 250 workers and residents and shut down part of the Muskogee Turnpike. No injuries were reported.

Jimmy Moore, emergency management director of Muskogee, said a plume caused by sodium chloride mixing with fluoride went up from the port at about 11:30 a.m., but it wasn’t clear how it had occurred.

The port, about 50 miles southeast of Tulsa on the McClelland-Kerr Navigational system, provides access to rail, road and river transportation.


Man convicted of strangling girlfriend

PHILADELPHIA — A man who authorities say strangled his pregnant girlfriend because she would not get an abortion was convicted yesterday of murder and sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Stephen Poaches, 27, was found guilty after a nonjury trial in the slayings of 24-year-old LaToyia Figueroa and the child she was carrying. He gave up his right to appeal, and prosecutors agreed not to seek the death penalty.

Miss Figueroa had been missing for more than a month when a detective acting on a tip followed Poaches to a parking lot where he had hidden her body. He apparently was trying to move the body.

Poaches told police that he choked Miss Figueroa after she struck him in the face and shoulder during an argument in his apartment.


Lost hikers located by cell-phone camera

KNOXVILLE — Two hikers lost in a heavily wooded area got out alive thanks to their cell phone — not the phone itself, but the camera part.

A man and a woman, whom authorities did not identify, alerted emergency workers at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday that they had lost their way on a hiking trail in the House Mountain State Natural Area in east Knox County.

Knox County Sheriff’s Office used a helicopter to search for the pair, but pilot Tony Chamberlain was unable to locate them with an infrared device that detects body heat because of the heavy foliage.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide