- The Washington Times - Monday, October 30, 2006


Man arrested in impersonator case

A man was arrested yesterday in a series of crimes in which men impersonating police officers used fake badges to rob, abduct and sexually assault their victims, D.C. police said.

Caliss Johnson, 41, of no fixed address, was arrested without incident at about 2:30 p.m. in the 3000 block of Naylor Road Southeast, Capt. Michael Reese said. Mr. Johnson is being held on charges of kidnapping while armed in two of three recent cases.

Mr. Johnson has been charged in the Thursday robbery in the 3000 block of M Street Northwest, and the Friday offense in the 1300 block of Fourth Street Northeast.

The investigation into a third incident Sunday in the vicinity of 13th and K streets Northwest is ongoing, police said.

The women in all three cases reported being fondled.

Additional charges against Mr. Johnson are pending, police said.


Free cab rides offered for Halloween

In an effort to keep drunken drivers off the road tonight, free cab rides will be offered by area cab companies, Washington Regional Alcohol Program officials said.

The “SoberRide” program will begin tonight at 8 and run through 4 a.m. throughout the Washington area.

During the eight-hour period, area residents can call a toll-free number (800/200-TAXI) and get up to a $50 fare for free.

Nationwide, more than three times as many people are killed by drunken drivers during Halloween than on New Year’s Eve, officials have said.



Father pleads guilty in infant twins’ deaths

A father pleaded guilty yesterday to second-degree murder in the deaths of his month-old twins, who suffered malnourishment and fractures of the ribs and skull.

Nathaniel Broadway, 26, pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree murder before jury selection was to begin in his trial, prosecutors said.

The state will seek 50 years with all but 30 years suspended at sentencing, scheduled for Jan. 10, the state’s attorney’s office announced.

The mother of the children, Sierra Swann, 17, previously pleaded guilty to two counts of child abuse resulting in death and agreed to testify against Broadway.

The teenager lived with her twin daughters and their father in an abandoned house with no electricity or plumbing.

The twins were found dead in May 2004.


Homecoming fight leaves four injured

One person was stabbed and three others hurt during a fight after a homecoming night dance organized by a Frostburg State University football player, police said.

The Saturday night dance at Maplehurst Country Club was not part of the official homecoming festivities, university spokeswoman Elizabeth Medcalf said.

Frostburg city police said the unidentified stabbing victim and three persons who had been hit by bottles or other objects were taken to hospitals for treatment. All four were hurt during a large disturbance reported at about 2 a.m. Sunday in the country club parking lot, police said.



Teen pleads guilty in fatal stabbing

A Fredericksburg teenager pleaded guilty yesterday to second-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of a football player from a rival school.

Marvin M. Parker, 18, entered an Alford plea in the Jan. 20 stabbing of Baron P. Braswell II, 16, a student at Courtland High School in neighboring Spotsylvania County.

The plea means Parker did not admit guilt but conceded prosecutors had sufficient evidence to convict him.

At his sentencing in January, he could receive up to 40 years in prison.

Parker, who was 17 at the time, told detectives that he became frightened when a melee broke out during a CD release party and that Baron ran into or fell onto a knife that Parker was holding.

Parker’s trial on a first-degree murder charge was scheduled to start yesterday.


Teens plead guilty in drive-by shootings

Two teens who were charged as adults have pleaded guilty in Loudoun County Circuit Court to charges stemming from a series of drive-by shootings this summer.

Eric Pang, 16, and Israel Trevilla, 17, were found guilty of malicious wounding, five counts of shooting into an occupied dwelling and one count of arson.

The two Sterling boys shot at five homes on July 19, striking one man who was sleeping in his home on Coventry Square.

Police think the shootings were retaliation when one of the teens was kicked out of a local gang.

In August, three other juveniles pleaded guilty for several burglaries that were related to the shootings, but none of them were involved in the shootings.

Pang and Trevilla could face up to 80 years in prison. They are scheduled to be sentenced in January.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide