- The Washington Times - Monday, October 9, 2006

PARIS (AP) — Airbus Chief Executive Officer Christian Streiff resigned yesterday after a little more than three months as head of the troubled European plane maker and parent company EADS named one of its own co-CEOs to replace him.

European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co. said Louis Gallois will succeed Mr. Streiff in the top job at Airbus while continuing in his current role as joint head of the Franco-German defense group.

Mr. Streiff’s departure deals a fresh blow to crisis-hit Airbus. The plane maker, which stunned investors in June by doubling the A380’s production delay to one year, doubled it again this month to two years and said the holdups would wipe $6.1 billion off EADS profits over four years.

Mr. Streiff took over as Airbus CEO just over three months ago, replacing Gustav Humbert, who was ousted with EADS co-CEO Noel Forgeard as a result of the A380 production crisis.

EADS didn’t say in the release announcing Mr. Streiff’s resignation why he was leaving.

In an interview for yesterday’s edition of the French daily Le Figaro, Mr. Streiff said he had not been allowed the “necessary operational powers” to do the job effectively and welcomed as “a step in the right direction” the combination of the Airbus and EADS roles.

Mr. Streiff, a 52-year-old former Saint-Gobain executive, drew up a cost-cutting turnaround plan for Airbus that got strong support from EADS directors, but he clashed repeatedly with the board over how the plan should be implemented and how much control he would exercise, according to three officials familiar with the discussions.

Mr. Streiff wanted to report to the parent company every quarter and have final say on Airbus appointments, while senior EADS executives demanded closer oversight, according to the officials, who asked not to be named because the discussions were confidential.

Since the creation of EADS in 2000, Airbus managers have answered to a separate chief executive at the parent company as well as their own. The A380 production delays, which came to management’s attention belatedly, have been blamed partly on the blurred reporting lines between EADS and its commercial jet unit.

Those lines should be clearer as a result of the changes announced yesterday. EADS’ German co-CEO Tom Enders will no longer have direct managerial responsibility for Airbus, the statement said, leaving Mr. Gallois as sole boss. EADS owns 80 percent of Airbus and is tightening up supervision of the civil jet unit as it acquires the remaining 20 percent from Britain’s BAE Systems PLC.

Mr. Streiff upset the political balance underpinning EADS and unnerved German politicians and trade unions by suggesting that work on the A380 could be transferred to France from Germany and the A350 XWB, a planned rival to Boeing’s 787, also built in France.

The German government has suggested it may take a stake in EADS if carmaker DaimlerChrysler AG pares its own 22.5 percent holding. “We must prevent everything from going the way of the French,” German Defense Minister Franz Josef Jung was quoted as saying yesterday by weekly Der Spiegel.

Earlier yesterday, Mr. Gallois met with French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and Finance Minister Thierry Breton, and a spokesman for President Jacques Chirac said the head of state was following the situation closely. Restructuring at Airbus is on the agenda for Thursday’s Franco-German summit, when Mr. Chirac and Chancellor Angela Merkel are to meet in Paris.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide