- The Washington Times - Monday, October 9, 2006


Northeast firedis places 41 persons

A fire in a row of townhouses in Northeast late yesterday afternoon displaced 41 persons and sent a column of smoke into the sky that could be seen for miles. One person was seriously injured.

The fire in the 2200 block of 15th Street Northeast affected eight apartments. Fire department officials said the cause of the blaze was children playing with candles.

Among those forced from their homes were 25 to 30 children, the Red Cross said.

The Red Cross put up the residents in hotels last night.



Man fatally stabbed at detention center

An inmate fatally stabbed at the Baltimore Detention Center on Friday morning was identified yesterday as a 19-year-old from Baltimore.

Another detainee was wounded, a spokeswoman for the Division of Pretrial Detention and Services said.

The slain inmate was identified as Stephon Nicholson. He was found stabbed in his cell along with Kevon Gantt, 19, who was treated for stab wounds at a hospital and released.

The detention center remain-ed on lockdown yesterday.

The two men were assigned to different cells but were found covered in blood in the same cell. Officials said there was no indication of a disturbance.

The detention center holds people with sentences of less than a year.


Fake grenade at BWI prompts evacuation

Suspicious items in a traveler’s checked luggage prompted authorities to evacuate an area of Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport yesterday afternoon.

Cpl. Pamela Thorne of the Maryland Transportation Authority Police said the luggage belonged to a man who works for a company that provides realistic training for Marines. She said the items that caught screeners’ attention were an empty can of tear gas, a belt with hollowed-out bullets and a fake hand grenade.

The Delta Airlines baggage area was evacuated briefly after 3 p.m. when the items were spotted as the luggage was X-rayed.


Man fatally shot in apartment

A man was found fatally shot in an apartment Friday night, Prince George’s County police said.

Police found William McArthur Kittrell, 22, of the 2200 block of Calvert Street, lying in the hallway of an apartment building in the 1900 block of Erie Street about 8:20 a.m. He had a single gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said there are no suspects at this time.


Pedestrian killed along I-95

A pedestrian was fatally struck on Interstate 95 south of Caton Avenue on Saturday night, Maryland State Police said.

At about 9:30 p.m., police began receiving calls from motorists reporting that something was strewn across the highway on northbound I-95 between exits 49 and 50.

The race and sex of the victim are unknown because of the severe damage to the body.

Investigators said the pedes-trian might have been in the middle lanes of the interstate. Police think the person was struck numerous times, because of the severity of the injuries.

Police closed the Baltimore Beltway ramps to northbound I-95 until evidence was collected.

Anyone who might have witnessed the incident should contact state police at 410/686-3101, Ext. 0.


Teen arrested in BB shooting

A 15-year-old student has been arrested on charges of shooting six students at Pikesville High School with a BB gun Wednesday, Baltimore County police said.

Police are looking for another student who might have helped the 15-year-old in the shooting that left six boys with minor injuries.

Detectives recovered the gun beneath a bush on school grounds later that day.

The 15-year-old was arrested late Thursday night and charged as a juvenile with six counts of first-degree assault, six counts of second-degree assault and possession of a deadly weapon on school grounds.

The teen, whose name was not released, was released to the custody of his mother.

There is no known connection between the victims and the suspect.



Nuclear reactor shut down

One of two nuclear reactors at Surry Power Station remained shut down yesterday after two electrical trans-formers that provide backup power to the plant quit working.

Unit Two was shut down about 6 p.m. Saturday after steam blew out some sheet metal, which landed on a power line that serves one of the backup transformers, said Richard Zher, a spokesman for Dominion Resources Inc., the Richmond-based power company that owns the plant. Officials were not sure what caused the second transformer to shut down, Mr. Zher said.

The first reserve electrical transformer was repaired, and Dominion was working on the second, Mr. Zher said yesterday. A third transformer was not affected.

Backup diesel generators kicked in when the two transformers shut down.

Mr. Zher said Dominion was investigating what caused steam to blow out the siding in a building where cold water is turned into steam, which powers a turbine that creates electricity through a generator.

“Once we have made that determination and resolved any problems, we will restart the reactor,” Mr. Zher said.

“No one was injured, and it didn’t cause any threat to public health or safety,” Mr. Zher said.

Surry’s two nuclear units provide 15 percent of the electricity in Dominion’s service area.


Community remembers fatal police shooting

More than 200 people turned out yesterday at the Sully District police station for its annual open house.

This year’s event was a chance to remember the events of May 8 — when a mentally ill teenager shot three officers, killing two, before he was fatally shot by officers.

Det. Vicky O. Armel, 40, was the first Fairfax officer in the department’s history to be slain while on duty. Officer Michael E. Garbarino, 53, died of his injuries nine days later.

For the station’s 120 workers, yesterday’s open house — which also included balloons and a chance to shake the hand of McGruff the Crime Dog — helped them to express gratitude for the outpouring of support they received after the attack.

Lt. Cynthia McAlister, the station’s assistant commander, said police hoped to show the community that they are stronger than ever.


Game warden rescued from flooded road

A helicopter crew rescued a game warden who was stranded in his car on a flooded road Saturday afternoon, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

Game Warden Jerry Bar-wick, of the Virginia Depart-ment of Game and Inland Fisheries, was stuck near Route 10 on the border of Isle of Wight and Surry counties.

A rescue swimmer was lowered to the vehicle and helped Mr. Barwick out of his vehicle.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide