- The Washington Times - Sunday, September 17, 2006



Inmates stabbed in prison fight

The Jessup Correctional Institution was put on lockdown late Friday night after three inmates were stabbed in a fight.

Maj. Priscilla Doggett, spokeswoman for the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, said the fight started at about 9:20 p.m. in a recreation room.

She said no staff members were injured and that the inmates were evaluated, then sent to nearby hospitals for further evaluation and treatment.


Apartment building finally demolished

Crews yesterday began tearing down the 100-year-old Rochambeau apartment building in the city, following a series of campaigns and legal efforts to save it.

The building is owned by the Archdiocese of Baltimore and is next to the Basilica of the Assumption.

The archdiocese wants to build a prayer garden on the site.

week, the state’s highest court refused to hear an appeal by preservationists hoping to block the planned demolition.

The demolition is expected to last until this afternoon and cause delays on Charles Street, a major north-south thoroughfare.


Sheriff’s deputy charged with arson

A deputy with the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office has been charged with arson for setting his girlfriend’s vehicle on fire, police reported.

Authorities said Sgt. Randy Dorsey, a 12-year veteran, has been placed on administrative leave with pay as a result of his arrest Friday.

Deputy State Fire Marshal W. Faron Taylor said the arrest stems from the Sept. 2 burning of a 2005 Chevrolet Blazer owned by Elizabeth Anderson.

Sgt. Dorsey was arrested after investigators noticed he had burn injuries consistent with those created by a fire started with ignitable liquid.

The deputy fire marshal said the motive has not been established and that the investigation is continuing to determine whether other people were involved.


BWI concourse closed for suspicious item

A section of the Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport was temporarily closed yesterday morning because of a suspicious item.

An airport spokesman said a section of Concourse A was closed for about 30 minutes while authorities investigated the item that was found in a piece of checked luggage. He said the item was removed for further investigation.

The item was found shortly after 9 a.m., prompting the federal Transportation Security Administration and Maryland Transportation Authority police to investigate. A spokesman for the state agency said last night that the item was found to be not dangerous.


Police buy back 337 guns for $16,700

The Metropolitan Police Department bought back more than 300 weapons yesterday from area residents at the 1st District station on Fourth Street Southwest, the 6th District station on 42nd Street Northeast and the 7th District station on Alabama Avenue Southeast.

Sgt. Joe Gentile said 337 weapons were collected, at a total cost of $16,700.

Residents of the District, Alexandria, Arlington, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties were eligible to participate.

The department paid $100 for assault weapons and automatic or semiautomatic pistols; $50 for revolvers, derringers, rifles and shotguns; and $10 for BB or pellet guns.

Similar programs in 1999 and 2000 resulted in the recovery of more than 6,200 firearms. Through the first eight months of this year, the department has recovered more than 1,600 guns, a 3 percent increase over the same period last year.

From wire dispatches and staff reports



Click to Read More

Click to Hide