- The Washington Times - Monday, September 18, 2006



Equipment missing at Fort Detrick

Records show that about $420,000 worth of equipment has been reported lost or stolen from Fort Detrick during the past three years.

About one-quarter of items reported missing within the Fort Detrick garrison were computers and monitors.

Fort Detrick spokesman Scott Woosley said many items reported as lost could still be at the military post, but unaccounted for because of administrative errors. He said personnel should have kept better track of equipment.

Fort Detrick officials said they have no reason to suspect that any data was compromised because of the missing computers and laptops, based on investigations completed after each item was reported lost or stolen.

The Frederick News-Post received the data about the missing items through a Freedom of Information Act request for a list of items with a retail value of at least $50 reported lost or stolen at Fort Detrick since Jan. 1, 2003.


Drug-gang leader gets 14 years

A Salisbury man was sentenced in federal court after pleading guilty to buying and selling drugs.

Paul Apostolopoulos, 36, was sentenced Friday in U.S. District Court to 14 years in prison and five years of supervised release.

Apostolopoulos was convicted of conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute heroin and cocaine, and conspiracy to engage in money laundering, as well as transportation of stolen goods while on pre-trial release, U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein said.

U.S. District Judge Richard D. Bennett also ordered Apostolopoulos to forfeit property and other assets, including Pesto’s Bar and Grill in Salisbury, totaling more than $500,000.

Two other members of Apostolopoulos’ gang — Dominick Apostolopoulos, 31, and Andres Morales, 38 — have been sentenced to 70 months and 144 months, respectively.

Wendy Apostolopoulos, 37, and Michael Holl, 41, will be sentenced this month and Christopher Llinas, 40, will be sentenced next month. All three have pleaded guilty.


Bodies found in field remain unidentified

Two bodies found in a field Saturday remain unidentified.

A man walking his dog near Boyer Road found the first set of remains, and police discovered the second a few hundred feet away as they combed the area with search-and-rescue dogs.

Both bodies were found on top of the ground and badly decomposed.

State police spokesman Maj. Greg Shipley said the age, race, sex and manner of death of the victims is not clear.

Ted Dawson of Aberdeen said he is afraid that one of the bodies is that of his stepdaugh-ter, Jennifer Blankenship, 25, who disappeared in early June.

The body of Sheila A. Turner was found in the same area June 2. No link between the three deaths has been made, police said.

The Harford County Sheriff’s Office said it is investigating that possibility. Investigators are also trying to determine why four bodies have been found within a five-mile radius since June — including three within a quarter-mile of each other.


Prison on lockdown after four stabbings

Jessup Correctional Institution remained on lockdown yesterday after four inmates were stabbed in the latest violent incident in a Maryland prison.

The inmates were stabbed at about 9:20 p.m. on Friday in a recreation room, said Maj. Priscilla Doggett, spokeswoman for the correction division. She said prison officials think eight inmates, including the four who were injured, were involved. She said several handmade weapons were recovered. No one has been charged.

Four inmates were hospitalized. Three of them were returned to the prison Saturday, and the fourth was held for observation, Maj. Doggett said.

Maryland’s prison system has come under scrutiny after a series of violent incidents, including the killings of two corrections officers and three inmates this year. Friday’s stabbings came 10 days after a corrections officer was stabbed by an inmate in the same Anne Arundel County facility.

In July, Officer David W. McGuinn was fatally stabbed by two inmates at the Maryland House of Correction, also in Jessup. Officer Jeffrey A. Wroten was fatally shot in January while guarding an inmate from the Hagerstown prison at a Washington County hospital.

This month, state officials pledged more than $5 million to strengthen prison security by adding more surveillance cameras; buying new safety equipment, such as stab-proof vests; and replacing aging prisoner transport vehicles.

“We absolutely have some real concerns about safety, and the administration is well aware of that,” said Ron Bailey, executive director of American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Council 92. “I understand they have a plan that entails new security technology, but technology isn’t going to run itself. You need manpower.”



Frat house evacuated after gas leak

A carbon-monoxide leak forced the evacuation of a Roanoke College fraternity house yesterday morning.

Fire department officials responded to the Sigma Chi house at 1 a.m. after a resident called campus safety because the carbon-monoxide alarm was going off, said Teresa Gereaux, a spokeswoman for the college.

Campus officials evacuated seven persons. There were no injuries.

Residents were awakened by a detector installed after a deadly leak in a dormitory two months ago.

On July 14, the Rev. Walter Vierling, 91, died when carbon monoxide filled the college’s Sections dorm building, where he and others were staying with a Lutheran conference and college preparatory program.

It sent 114 persons to two hospitals.

Fire officials later tied the leak to a clogged flue in the boiler system.


Murder suspect captured in New York

U.S. Marshals captured a Fairfax man wanted in the death of a 21-month-old boy who was in the care of his wife, Fairfax County police said.

Mohammad Ahmad of the 6400 block of Silver Ridge Circle was taken into custody about 1:30 p.m. Friday at a hotel near LaGuardia Airport in New York City.

Mr. Ahmad faces a murder charge in the Sept. 12 death of Myles Simon, who died of blunt-force trauma, police said.

The baby sitter, a 21-year-old woman, left the home to run an errand, leaving Myles and three other children in the care of her husband. When she returned to about 40 minutes later, she found the child unresponsive and called 911.

Mr. Ahmad will be extradited back to Virginia, police said.


Final OK expected for Ike memorial site

The site chosen for a memorial to President Eisenhower has cleared a hurdle, with final approval expected this week.

Planners are now working on a design concept for the four-acre site across the from the Mall that will pay tribute to the nation’s 34th president.

Earlier this month, the National Capital Planning Commission unanimously approved the memorial location near the National Air and Space Museum.

The Commission of Fine Arts is expected to endorse the site Thursday.

While there is no design yet, the memorial commission is committed to a landscaped, plaza-style memorial, given its urban setting, executive architect Dan Feil said.

He said the memorial would capture different facets of Mr. Eisenhower’s career as supreme commander of the Allied forces in Europe during World War II, president of Columbia University in New York and U.S. president.

Completion is expected within about five years.

From wire dispatches and staff reports



Click to Read More

Click to Hide