- The Washington Times - Sunday, September 24, 2006

DISTRICT

Breakaway archbishop installs married bishops

An African archbishop who wants to make celibacy optional for priests yesterday installed four married men as Roman Catholic bishops.

The Archdiocese of Washington did not consider the installations valid, spokeswoman Susan Gibbs said. “This means nothing within the church,” she said.

Archbishop Emmanuel Milingo — whose marriage to a woman chosen by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon scandalized the Roman Catholic Church — performed the ceremonies at a Capitol Hill church.

Installed were the Revs. George Augustus Stallings Jr. of the District, Peter Paul Brennan of New York, Patrick Trujillo of Newark, N.J., and Joseph Gouthro of Las Vegas.

The four men claim affiliation to the breakaway Synod of Old Catholic Churches.

While Father Milingo, 76, would have needed Vatican permission to make the ordinations licit, Father Stallings said no such permission is required to make them valid under the canon.

Father Milingo, 76, has said the head of the Vatican’s Congregation for Bishops has demanded he send a letter of repentance by Oct. 15 to Pope Benedict XVI or face “canonical suspension,” which would bar him from ordaining priests, leading Mass and performing other sacraments.

Shooting suspect held without bail

A 17-year-old charged with shooting another teen outside Cardozo High School last week will remain in jail at least until his next court appearance tomorrow.

Eugene Huff is charged as an adult with assault with intent to commit murder. Police said he shot a 10th-grader in the right leg Thursday afternoon. The student was released from the hospital and is in good condition.

Mr. Huff turned himself in Friday and was accompanied to a police station by D.C. Council member Marion Barry, Ward 8 Democrat, who said he helped out because the teen did not trust police.

The teen’s attorney asked a judge Saturday to release him to the custody of his mother or a D.C. anti-violence group, but the judge turned down that request.

MARYLAND

BLADENSBURG

Man fatally shot at party

A man was fatally shot early yesterday at a party, Prince George’s County police said.

Sekayi Gamal Hutton, 27, of the 4200 block of 58th Avenue, was shot at 4:19 a.m. at a party in the 4900 block of 56th Avenue.

Officers found Mr. Hutton lying in the driveway with multiple gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators said an argument started between the Mr. Hutton and another person as Mr. Hutton left the party and tried to get into his vehicle. The other person fled after the shooting.

Immediately after the shooting, two persons were detained, investigators said. It was later determined they were not involved.

BALTIMORE

Poll puts O’Malley ahead of Ehrlich

Poll results published yesterday show Baltimore Mayor Martin O’Malley leading Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. in the race for governor.

The poll said Mr. O’Malley, a Democrat, has a 6 percentage-point lead among likely voters — 50 percent to the Republican incumbent’s 44 percent.

That is about the same margin Mr. O’Malley held in July. But it is a much smaller advantage than the double-digit leads he held last year before Mr. Ehrlich began campaigning in earnest.

The statewide survey of 815 likely voters was conducted Sept. 15 to 18. for the Baltimore Sun by Potomac Inc. It has a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

UPPER MARLBORO

County seeking more poll workers

Prince George’s County elections officials are trying to find more people who can be trained to work with the state’s high-tech voting equipment.

The county was slow to transmit the results of the Sept. 12 primary, partly because some data cards were not quickly collected and some machines were not properly secured.

Technicians did not show up at some precincts, and untrained workers from a county technology help desk filled in for them.

Interim elections administrator Robert J. Antonetti Sr. said the county needs more skilled people to work at the polls and count the votes.

Mr. Antonetti’s predecessor, Robin Downs Colbert, resigned in June because of frustration with the technology. She said she and her colleagues warned county and state officials there were not enough resources.

BALTIMORE

University offers freshmen free tuition

The University of Baltimore will give every freshman a one-year scholarship in 2007.

The Baltimore Sun reported yesterday that the one-time scholarship will cover all out-of-pocket tuition and fee expenses.

The plan is designed to attract students to the school’s first freshmen class in three decades, the newspaper said.

The university is changing from a school serving only junior and senior undergrad-uates and graduate students to a school that offers a full four-year undergraduate education.

University officials said they are hoping for an initial enroll-ment of 100 to 130 freshmen.

Officials hope most students also will qualify for federal financial aid grants, cutting the college’s burden in half.

VIRGINIA

NEWPORT NEWS

Guns ban in libraries stirs debate

A ban on weapons inside public libraries is getting attention from a group that has said the ban violates state law.

A small sign at the entrance of a public library makes it clear that shouting, sleeping and chewing tobacco — and weapons — are prohibited.

But the Virginia Citizens Defense League has informed the City Council that a firearm ban in the city’s libraries breaks a Virginia code that prevents cities or its agencies from making rules on carrying guns in public places. Exceptions include courthouses and schools.

If the City Council settles on a compromise that would not allow guns in the library, the defense league’s director said the group likely will file a lawsuit.

PORTSMOUTH

Catamaran capsizes; six onboard rescued

The Coast Guard rescued six persons, including three children, yesterday after a catamaran capsized twice off the Little Creek jetties.

A person who saw the sailboat capsize from a nearby condominium window called for help about 3:40 p.m. A rescue boat responded, and three children and one adult were pulled from the water. The boat’s owner stayed behind to try to fix the catamaran.

The Coast Guard crew returned after receiving word the boat had capsized again in rough seas and rescued the owner and a good Samaritan who had jumped off a passing boat to help him.

The three children — ages 13, 9 and 8 — were treated for mild hypothermia and released.

A fishing boat passing by towed the boat to a marina.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide