- The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 27, 2006


Teen fatally shot in Southeast

A 16-year-old boy was fatally shot Monday evening in Southeast, D.C. police said.

Cequawn Brown, of the 1200 block of Bowen Road in Upper Marlboro, was found at 7:38 p.m. in the 5300 block of Astor Place Southeast.

He was the third teenager in two days to be killed in the District.

Anyone with information should call 202/727-9099.



Woman killed in hit-and-run

A woman was killed yesterday morning when she was hit by a car and dragged for more than a mile, authorities said.

The woman, 69, was walking with her husband on Crabbs Branch Way near East Gude Drive about 6 a.m. when she was struck by a vehicle — possibly a white box-type truck with four rear wheels, investigators said.

Detectives think the woman became entangled with the truck. Eventually her body became dislodged, but the driver did not stop. Police think other drivers might have struck the woman without realizing she was on the roadway.

Investigators are asking for help from any witnesses.


Slain man’s daughter to get $4.6 million

The 7-year-old daughter of a man who was fatally shot by a Prince George’s County police detective will receive more than $4.5 million under a settlement with the county.

A Prince George’s Circuit Court judge has approved an agreement that will provide payments to Nina Jones, the daughter of Prince Jones, until she is 40.

A civil jury in January found that Cpl. Carlton Jones, who is not related, was negligent in the death of Mr. Jones.

The county has now agreed to pay Nina’s share of a $2.5 million damage award to an insurance company, which will invest the funds and make payments to Nina for 33 years.

Cpl. Jones shot Mr. Jones after following him from Prince George’s County to a Northern Virginia neighborhood after confusing him for a suspect.

Cpl. Jones was cleared of criminal wrongdoing in probes by federal officials and police in Fairfax and Prince George’s counties.


Trial venue moved in guard slaying trial

The death-penalty trial of an inmate accused of killing a correctional officer in Hagerstown will be conducted in Howard County.

A Washington County judge has granted the change of venue request and has set aside the Oct. 23 trial date that had been set for the case.

Brandon Morris, 20, faces 36 counts, including three first-degree murder charges, in the January slaying of Officer Jeffery Wroten, 44, of Martinsburg, W.Va.

Officer Wroten was guarding Morris’ room at Washington County Hospital when he was shot in the head. Morris was serving an eight-year sentence at the nearby Roxbury Correctional Institution for assault, robbery and handgun convictions in Baltimore. He had been admitted to the hospital after having a sewing needle removed from his right side. Prosecutors contend the wound was self-inflicted.

Morris’ attorneys had argued that pretrial publicity and high local employment in the prison system would prevent Morris from getting a fair trial in Hagerstown.


Brother charged in stabbing, burning

The second of two brothers suspected in the slaying of their mother’s boyfriend was charged yesterday, Anne Arundel County police said.

Christopher Haarhoff, 20, of Halethorpe, was charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Anthony Fertitta. Mr. Fertitta’s burned body was found Feb. 22 near Southgate Old Mill Park in Millersville.

Matthew Haarhoff, 18, was charged with the same offense in March. Police said he and his brother killed Mr. Fertitta at their home in Millersville. Their mother, Cynthia McKay, 49, was charged in February as an accessory after police said she used bleach to clean up bloodstains.

Christopher Haarhoff already had been arrested in Hagerstown on unrelated charges. When he is released from prison in Hagerstown, Anne Arundel County police said he will be transferred into their custody.


Five indicted for selling fake IDs

A federal grand jury has indicted a Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration employee and four others for conspiring to make and sell fake driver’s licenses.

Prosecutors said that since January 2005, MVA worker Candace Green, 34, and Ana Maria Lorena Creque, 45, Hector David Elvir-Hernandez, 27, Henry Geovanni Romero-Nunez, 28, and Dennys Tome-Henriquez, 27, have sold more than 150 fraudulent documents.

All five were arrested yesterday after the indictment was unsealed.

Prosecutors said that Miss Green worked at the Beltsville MVA office and that the four others would meet nearby with applicants, who paid $2,500 to $3,800 for a license, and take applications to Miss Green.

Miss Green is suspected of receiving $1,300 for each license.


Man pleads guilty to burglary

A man has pleaded guilty to breaking into the gubernatorial campaign office of Mayor Martin O’Malley.

Tugboat operator Jason Yereance, 32, of Walpole, Maine, broke into the office last month in Baltimore’s Canton neighborhood. Police said it appeared he was drunk and looking for a bathroom, and police and campaign officials said nothing appeared to have been stolen.

Yereance entered a guilty plea Friday to fourth-degree breaking and entering, the office of the Baltimore state’s attorney said. There was insufficient evidence to go forward with burglary charges he also faced, the prosecutor’s office said.

Visiting Judge A. Gordon Boone Jr. sentenced Yereance to probation before judgment. That means that if he stays out of trouble, he can later ask to have his criminal record cleared.

Mr. O’Malley, a Democrat, is challenging Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., a Republican, in the November election.



Death row convict will appeal sentence

A man slated for execution Friday on charges he robbed, raped and killed an 88-year-old James City County woman will seek a stay of execution.

Jerry Terrell Jackson climbed into Ruth Wilma Phillips’ apartment in August 2001 through an open bathroom window. Police said he robbed her, sexually assaulted her and smothered her with a pillow.

Police linked Jackson to the crime four months later after his fingerprints matched a thumbprint on a scrap of paper in the dead woman’s wallet.

The Virginia Supreme Court upheld his death sentence in 2004. But now his attorney said Jackson is ready to begin the federal appeals process.

A spokesman for the Virginia Attorney General’s Office said the state will not oppose the request.


Three charged in explosives theft

Three persons have been charged with stealing explosives from a construction site.

Tazewell County Sheriff H.S. Caudill said officers found the explosives buried in a barn Saturday.

Derrick Williams, 25, Angela Dameron, 29, and Lacy Milam, 21, all are charged with breaking and entering, grand larceny, destruction of property and possession of explosives. They also face federal charges.

Workers earlier this month discovered that someone broke into a storage container at a construction site near a new state prison in Pocahontas.

The only items stolen were an undisclosed amount of construction explosives.

From wire dispatches and staff reports



Click to Read More

Click to Hide