- The Washington Times - Friday, September 29, 2006

BAGHDAD — The brother-in-law of the new judge presiding over Saddam Hussein’s genocide trial was killed and his nephew was wounded in a shooting yesterday in Baghdad, the latest deadly violence linked to proceedings against the former Iraqi leader.

It was not immediately clear whether Kadhim Abdul-Hussein and his son, Karrar, were targeted because they were related to Judge Mohammed Oreibi al-Khalifa, a Shi’ite Muslim who took over the Saddam trial last week, or if it was another of the sectarian attacks that have been plaguing Baghdad.

During Saddam’s first trial, three defense lawyers were killed, and in July, Saddam and three other defendants refused food to protest lack of security for lawyers and conduct of the trial.

Yesterday’s attack in the predominantly Sunni neighborhood of Ghazaliyah came a half-hour before the weekly ban on vehicular traffic in the capital that has been instituted to try to prevent suicide bombings on the Muslim holy day.

Later, the Cabinet put an immediate ban on all vehicular and pedestrian traffic in Baghdad through tomorrow morning, said Haider Majeed, spokesman for Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. He refused to say why.

Mr. al-Khalifa had been deputy to the original chief judge in the trial, Abdullah al-Amiri, who was removed on accusations he was too soft on Saddam. Among other things, Judge al-Amiri had angered Kurdish politicians by declaring in court that Saddam was “not a dictator.”

The trial, Saddam’s second, began Aug. 21. He and six co-defendants face genocide charges for their roles in a bloody crackdown on Kurdish rebels in the late 1980s. The defendants could face the death penalty if convicted.

In a further sign of sectarian violence, authorities found 10 bodies bearing signs of torture, apparently victims of death squads.

Police said the corpses of seven men and one woman were all found in east Baghdad neighborhoods, blindfolded with their hands and legs bound. Two more corpses, riddled with bullets and also bound, were pulled from the Tigris River in Suwayrah, 25 miles south of Baghdad. They showed signs of torture, said Maamoun al-Ajili, an official with the Kut morgue.

In the troubled city of Baqouba, 35 miles northeast of Baghdad, three bodies were discovered in a house and weapons were found in a mosque, police said.

Sixty suspected insurgents were taken into custody in the operation conducted by the Iraqi army and police.

A traffic policeman was killed and two civilians injured in a bombing in downtown Baghdad, police said. Insurgents used what is becoming an increasingly common technique — detonating one bomb to attract attention, then detonating a second bomb when people come to look, police said.

In Anah, about 160 miles northwest of the capital, two Iraqi soldiers were killed and two injured when a roadside bomb hit their convoy.

U.S. troops raided the Baghdad home of Adnan al-Dulaimi, head of the largest Sunni bloc in parliament, detaining his guard, Mr. al-Dulaimi said.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide