- The Washington Times - Monday, September 4, 2006



Doctor found dead inside office

A 19-year-old man was being questioned by Montgomery County police last night after a psychiatrist was found dead inside his office yesterday afternoon.

The boy’s father took his son to a scheduled appointment at the office of Dr. Wayne S. Fenton, 53, in the 11500 block of Old Georgetown Road.

Afterward the father saw his son acting strangely outside the building, police said.

The father went into the office, found the doctor unconscious and called 911. The father then gave officers a description of his son, who was arrested in front of Luxmanor Elementary, not far from the office, police said.

The name of the suspect was not released.

Dr. Fenton was a division director at the National Institute of Mental Health.


Two poisoned by carbon monoxide

A man and a woman are recovering after they were hospitalized Saturday with carbon-monoxide poisoning.

The man, 55, was in good condition, and the woman, 90, was in serious but stable condition, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County fire department said.

They were using a generator in the basement to power their home after the electricity went out as the remnants of Tropical Storm Ernesto reached the county.

Lt. Alex Makris said gas-powered generators should never be used indoors. He said that the carbon-monoxide readings inside the house were incredibly high, and that the two victims were lucky that a neighbor came over to check on them Saturday afternoon.


Man missing after boat crash

A speedboat with two men aboard flipped and sank during a race on the Susquehanna River yesterday, and one of the men was still missing hours after the accident, officials said.

The 18-foot speedboat caught the wake of another boat during the race about 2:30 p.m. and flipped, witness Tim King told WBAL-TV.

“You could see the one guy getting off of the boat, but the other guy wasn’t able to get off and the boat went straight down,” Mr. King said.

The man who got off was rescued.

“The search operation changed to a recovery operation at 3:45,” said Lt. Keith Williams of the Water Witch Fire Company in Port Deposit. “We are still attempting to locate the stern and the victim.”

Diving teams from Havre de Grace and Middle River were assisting in the search.



Shooting suspects charged as adults

Two teens accused in a series of drive-by house shootings will be charged as adults, the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office said.

Both will be indicted later this month on charges of malicious wounding, multiple counts of shooting into an occupied dwelling and one count of arson.

The two 16-year-old boys are suspected of shooting at five homes on July 19.

Three other boys — ages 11, 16 and 17 — pleaded guilty last week in juvenile court to several burglaries, during which they stole the firearms used later in the drive-by shootings, the key to a Toyota Corolla that was used in the attacks and some computer equipment.

The three boys were not charged in the shootings. They will be sentenced this month.

During the shootings, which occurred about 1:30 a.m., a man was hit on Coventry Square. He is still hospitalized, police said. Homes were shot at on Coventry Square, Aster Terrace, North Argonne Avenue, Holborn Court and Margate Court.

The car was later found ablaze. Investigators think the shootings were carried out in retaliation after one of the two shooting suspects was kicked out of a gang.


City gets clearance for light-rail line

Norfolk has cleared six years of financial and technical reviews concerning the city’s proposed light-rail line.

The Federal Transit Administration said Saturday that it is convinced that the proposed 7.4-mile route is viable and should be built. Now federal, state and local officials need to find funding.

The agency notified congressional committees that it will approve the more than $232 million project for final design in 10 days, and local officials expect to receive the formal approval Sept. 11.

Construction could begin late next year, and the Norfolk line could begin moving passengers in late 2009 or early 2010. It is expected to carry 6,500 to 12,000 passengers per day.


Legal bills mounting in wrongful conviction

About $1 million in public funds will have been spent defending a former state police investigator involved in the case that wrongly sent Earl Washington Jr. to death row.

A jury awarded $2.25 million to Mr. Washington in May. They concluded that the late Curtis Reese Wilmore fed Mr. Washington details of a 1982 rape and murder in Culpeper to which the mildly retarded man falsely confessed.

Mr. Washington spent 9 years on death row and came within nine days of being executed in 1985 for the slaying of Rebecca Lynn Williams, 19.

Mr. Washington was pardoned in 2000 by Gov. James S. Gilmore III, after DNA testing implicated convicted rapist Kenneth Maurice Tinsley, 61. Tinsley — who is serving a life sentence for another rape — was indicted last month on capital-murder charges in Miss Williams’ death.

The governor’s office said a Richmond law firm has been paid more than $678,000 for representing Mr. Wilmore’s estate. A bill of about $300,000 more in fees is pending.


Man, 22, dies in motorcycle crash

A man was killed Saturday afternoon when his motorcycle crashed into a car that was backing out of a driveway.

Christopher Digiorgio, 22, was riding his 2006 Harley Davidson southbound on Walney Road when he struck the passenger side of a car driven by a Clifton-area woman, Fairfax County police said.

Mr. Digiogio, of Chantilly, died at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

The driver of the car was not injured.

Speed and alcohol were not factors in the crash, police said.


Power supply returning gradually

The power came back on gradually yesterday, a day after the remnants of Tropical Storm Ernesto moved north.

More than 37,000 were without power yesterday evening in southern parts of Virginia, with the Northern Neck hit the hardest.

Rob Gould, a spokesman for the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co., said that Anne Arundel County was its hardest-hit area by far and that many of the 1,500 outages that remained last night require “house-to-house restoration.”

About 1,000 customers remained without power in the District and its suburbs.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide