- The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 6, 2006


Stray bullet hits boy at amusement park

HOT SPRINGS — A stray bullet hit a boy on an amusement park ride, penetrating his wrist in what police said appeared to have been a freak accident.

It will be nearly impossible to tell who fired the shot Monday and from where, police Cpl. Tom Winton said.

The .22-caliber bullet struck the 11-year-old while he was riding the Old No. 2 Logging Co. Log Flume at Magic Springs & Crystal Falls.

Michelle Anne Lamb told police her son was in the seat behind her on the ride Monday evening when she heard him yell “ouch.” She said she saw the bullet sticking in his wrist and pulled it out. The boy’s name was not released.

Emergency medical technicians treated the boy at the park, said Dan Aylward, Magic Springs president and general manager. No one else was injured, he said.


Governor vetoes ‘bias’ textbook bill

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger yesterday vetoed a bill that would have barred schools from using textbooks and materials that “reflect adversely” on homosexuals, bisexuals and transgender persons.

Mr. Schwarzenegger, who was urged to veto the bill by conservative groups, said the measure’s language was vague and California’s education code already prohibits discrimination in schools.

State Sen. Sheila Kuehl, an open homosexual who sponsored the bill, called the veto “inexplicable.”


High court elects first female chief

DES MOINES — The state’s highest court elected its first female chief justice Tuesday.

Marsha K. Ternus, 55, of Des Moines, will succeed Louis Lavorato, who plans to retire at the end of the month. Iowa becomes the 16th state to currently have a female chief justice.

“I am honored by the opportunity to serve as chief justice and appreciate the confidence my colleagues have placed in me,” Justice Ternus said.

Justice Ternus was appointed to the Iowa Supreme Court in 1993 by Gov. Terry Branstad, a Republican. Her current term expires Dec. 31, 2010.


Plane crash survivor regains awareness

LEXINGTON — The sole survivor of a plane crash that killed 49 persons near Lexington last week asked family members from his hospital bed, “Why did God do this to me?” But he hasn’t mentioned the crash, a close family friend said yesterday.

James Polehinke, who was the flight’s co-pilot, can move only his head, and tears often well up in his eyes, said Antonio Cruz, Mr. Polehinke’s mother’s boyfriend. He said the 44-year-old pilot had only regained consciousness on Tuesday.

According to federal investigators, Mr. Polehinke was controlling Comair Flight 5191 when the regional jet took off from a too-short runway at Lexington’s Blue Grass Airport, crashed and caught fire in a nearby field on Aug. 27. He was pulled to safety from the broken cockpit, but everyone else aboard the plane died in the crash and fire.


Girl, 5, rescued after tossed in lake

SPRINGFIELD — Fishermen rescued a 5-year-old girl who was thrown into a lake before dawn yesterday, and divers searched the water for another potential victim before determining the child’s mother was safe.

The girl, whose name was not released, had told investigators her assailant told her that her mother was dead.

“She told the investigator that the suspect said he’d killed the mother and put her in the lake,” Greene County Sheriff’s Capt. Jim Barber said.

Investigators later found the mother safe on land and reunited her with the little girl, who was in a Springfield hospital.

Investigators were looking for a man who they think took the girl during the night while she was being watched by a baby sitter and threw her into McDaniel Lake north of Springfield. Mr. Barber said the suspect’s vehicle had been found but he declined to release further details.


Baseball game sets record for length

ALLIANCE — Talk about extra innings.

A baseball game that began at 10 a.m. Saturday in Alliance ended Sunday at 4:05 p.m. That’s 30 hours and five minutes between the first pitch and the final out.

Forty players, ranging in age from 18 to 44, rotated in and out of the 84-inning game with the hope of setting a Guinness World Record for the longest baseball game.

The record stands at 25 hours, set in Canada nearly three years ago.

Alliance organizers tried to beat the record last year, but that game ended at 24 hours, 16 minutes.

This year’s game was won by the Alliance Times-Herald Dragons, which beat the WESTCO Knights by a score of 120-114.


Man pleads guilty to starving children

CARSON CITY — A man accused of locking two of his stepchildren in a bathroom and starving them for several years pleaded guilty Tuesday to false imprisonment and abuse charges.

Tomas Granados, 33, faces up to 20 years in prison on the first count and up to 15 years on the second count.

Granados’ sentencing was set for Oct. 24. Also charged in the case are the children’s mother and grandmother, who are scheduled to enter guilty pleas next Tuesday.

The children told deputies that they were locked in an apartment bathroom and starved during much of the past five years. When found Jan. 19, the 16-year-old girl weighed about 40 pounds and her 11-year-old brother weighed about 30 pounds.

Three other children in the home, ages 9 to 17, attended school in Carson City and appeared to be healthy. They were placed in state custody.


23 persons hurt in bus crash

NEW YORK — A city bus and a tractor-trailer crashed near the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge during the morning rush hour yesterday, injuring 23 persons.

None of the injuries from the Staten Island crash was thought to be life-threatening, NYC Transit said.

The crash happened about 8 a.m. near the bridge’s toll plaza, NYC Transit spokesman Charles Seaton said.

The cause of the crash was under investigation, Mr. Seaton said.


Formerly conjoined twin has surgery

SALT LAKE CITY — Doctors at Primary Children’s Medical Center performed additional surgery yesterday on 4-year-old Kendra Herrin, who was separated from her twin sister, Maliyah, last month in a 26-hour operation.

Kendra Herrin started showing signs of a bowel obstruction that doctors think may have been caused by scar tissue.

From wire dispatches and staff reports



Click to Read More

Click to Hide