- The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 6, 2006


FedEx donates to MLK memorial

FedEx announced yesterday that it will donate $1 million to help build a permanent memorial to Martin Luther King next to the Tidal Basin.

The donation brings the total raised to more than $64 million.

The announcement came one week after General Electric donated the same amount.

Officials have said they need $66 million to obtain building permits for the site. They have not yet chosen a contractor. The project is estimated to cost $100 million.

The 4-acre memorial will sit across the Tidal Basin from the Jefferson Memorial and north of the memorial to former President Franklin D. Roosevelt. In the center will be a 30-foot statue of King called the “Stone of Hope.”

Most of the memorial’s funding has come from large corporate sponsors.

Illegal aliens plan rally for legal status

More than a half-million illegal aliens and their supporters are expected to rally tomorrow on the Mall for legislation that will help them achieve legal status, organizers said.

Protesters also will call on Congress to end deportations that split families.

The stage will be set up at Third Street Northwest between Constitution and Independence avenues. The rally begins at 4 p.m. Organizers said last week that they planned to end with a march along Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House.

Metro will run trains at more frequent intervals starting at 2 p.m. and is advising regular commuters to leave work early or late and to avoid transferring trains if possible.

Police also expect delays to rush-hour traffic.

Traffic accident kills one, injures three

A traffic accident in Southeast on Sunday that killed one woman and injured three persons came after an attempt to pull over the car in Prince George’s County, D.C. police said yesterday.

Prince George’s County officers tried to stop a 1997 Lincoln Continental on Suitland Road about 4 a.m.

The driver — Bruce Mayo, 31, of the 300 block of 50th Street Northeast — refused to stop and sped into the District, police said. He was not pursued.

Once in the District, the car struck two utility poles, trees and then a fence causing the vehicle to flip over in the 3800 block of Suitland Road Southeast.

The front-seat passenger, Sheilisha Jackson, 18, of the 7200 block of Strawberry Place in Bryans Road, Md., was pronounced dead at the D.C. medical examiner’s office.

The two rear-seat passengers — Derrick Washington, 29, of the 1400 block of Dandy Street Northeast, and Janee Reed, 19, of the 700 block of Crawford Street in Oxon Hill — were thrown from the car. They and the driver were hospitalized.



Guard stabbed at prison

A correctional officer at Jessup Correctional Institution was attacked by an inmate yesterday morning as inmates were being taken to breakfast, authorities said.

The officer was stabbed in his upper torso about 6:15 a.m. and was taken to a local hospital. The wounds are not life-threatening.

Officials arrested the inmate and recovered a homemade weapon. Charges against the inmate are pending.

Another correctional officer, David McGuinn, 42, was stabbed and killed at the nearby Maryland House of Correction in July. At least two inmates there were wounded last month in stabbings involving other inmates.


Jogger found dead a Secret Service agent

A man found dead at Fairland Recreational Park on Monday morning was a U.S. Secret Service employee, the Secret Service said last night.

Michael Earl Cothran, 28, of the 3300 block of Parkford Manor Terrace in Silver Spring, was found unresponsive in the parking lot about 8 a.m. by passers-by who called Maryland National-Capital Park Police. Mr. Cothran had been jogging in the park on Greencastle Road earlier in the morning, investigators said.

He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Preliminary results from the medical examiner’s office in Baltimore did not indicate foul play, but the cause of death has not be determined, police said.


Man denied bail in psychiatrist killing

A teenager charged with killing a psychiatrist who was a federal health official during a weekend office visit was ordered held without bond during a court hearing yesterday.

Vitali A. Davydov, 19, of North Potomac, admitted beating Dr. Wayne S. Fenton, 53, in the face with his fists, according to charging documents filed in District Court. Mr. Davydov, who was undergoing treatment for schizophrenia, is charged with first-degree murder.

Mr. Davydov will undergo a psychological evaluation and could be transferred to a state mental health institution, said Constantine Lizas, a Montgomery County prosecutor handling the case.

Dr. Fenton met with Mr. Davydov on Saturday and had set up an appointment for later this week. But after Mr. Davydov became angry while discussing his medication for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, another session was hastily arranged for Sunday.

When Mr. Davydov and his father arrived for the Sunday afternoon appointment, Dr. Fenton told the father that he would tell Mr. Davydov that it was important to take medication. Dr. Fenton also said he would try to encourage him to take the medication with a shot, not orally.

A short time later, Mr. Davydov’s father saw his son leave the office with blood on his hands and shirt, and called 911. Dr. Fenton was declared dead on the scene.

Dr. Fenton saw patients at his private practice that were considered severely disturbed and was considered one of the nation’s experts on treating schizophrenia. He also was an associate director at the National Institute of Mental Health.


Divers find body after fatal boat crash

Divers yesterday recovered the body of a man missing since a speedboat crash on the Susquehanna River on Sunday. He was still strapped into the boat he was racing, authorities said.

Paul Sohn, 49, of Grasonville, was participating in the annual “Ragin’ On the River” race at Port Deposit when his Jersey skiff broke into several pieces and sank. His son, Timothy, 15, survived the crash.

Sgt. Ken Turner of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Police said volunteer divers from the American Power Boat Association, which sponsored the race, helped in the search.

Sgt. Turner said Mr. Sohn’s boat was ripped apart when it hit a wave caused by another boat. The front of the skiff “sort of split open like a banana peel,” Sgt. Turner said, and sank to the river floor within seconds.


Woman cited in fire at historic house

A Clear Spring woman has been charged with second-degree arson in the fire last week that damaged a home once owned by Williamsport’s founder, state fire investigators said.

Lauren France, 18, was arrested Sunday and is free on bond, the state fire marshal’s office said.

Authorities said she is the daughter of the last tenant of the house. The town agreed in 2001 to allow Patricia France to live there rent-free in exchange for a promise to make improvements to the property. She was evicted last year after the town said most of the work was not done.

The fire caused $150,000 in damage.

The unoccupied Springfield Farm house was thought to have been built in the 1700s and was once owned by town founder Otho Holland Williams. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Crews clear sand from boardwalk

Public works crews worked extra shifts over the holiday weekend to clear the sand left on the city’s boardwalk by Tropical Storm Ernesto’s winds.

The sand was piled high enough to cover some benches.

Public Works Superintendent Bruce Gibbs said it was the worst he has seen in 30 years of service.

Crews used bulldozers, street sweepers and shovels to put the sand back on the beach. Mr. Gibbs said the job should be complete by today.



Part of Bay closed to shellfish harvesting

The state Department of Health announced yesterday that the Virginia section of the Chesapeake Bay south of Smith Point will be closed to shellfish harvesting until Saturday because of Tropical Storm Ernesto.

“We watch shellfish beds for contaminants after major storms to ensure the seafood harvest does not contain harmful substances,” said Robert B. Stroube, the state health commissioner.

Officials said that high tides and heavy rainfall might have washed animal waste and sewage into the Bay, contaminating shellfish.

Eating shellfish harvested from the Bay could cause gastrointestinal illness including hepatitis A, officials said.


Baby sitter, boyfriend sentenced in abduction

A live-in baby sitter and her boyfriend who abducted a 3-month-old baby girl from her Virginia Beach home last year were sentenced yesterday to serve four months in jail.

But Ashley Long, 21, and James Snyder, 33, were freed because they already served that much while awaiting trial.

A Virginia Beach Circuit Court judge sentenced each to six years in prison, then suspended all but four months. The pair have been free on bond since June, when they pleaded guilty to felony charges of conspiracy and abduction.

In March 2005, Long and Snyder took an infant named Cheyenne from her home in Virginia Beach and fled to North Carolina.

After a two-day search, police caught up with the pair at a shelter in Charlotte. The couple told authorities that Cheyenne’s father had given them permission to do “whatever was necessary to keep the girl safe.”

The father was denied custody of Cheyenne after the baby was found. He had been charged with parole violation and a drug count.


ODU student drowns while canoeing

Police recovered the body of an Old Dominion University graduate student who drowned Sunday while canoeing in a canal.

Police divers recovered the body of Karthik Leelavinothan, 26, of India, on Monday afternoon.

Police said Mr. Leelavinothan was canoeing when he ran into trouble and the craft overturned. His life jacket came off when he hit the water. He had trouble swimming and went under.

Chesapeake police said the body of an unidentified male also was found Monday in the Elizabeth River, and might have been in the water for several days.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide