- The Washington Times - Thursday, September 7, 2006


Road closings planned for immigration rally

Police will suspend parking and close several roads near the Mall in anticipation of large crowds during an immigration rally today.

The rally will begin at 4 p.m. on the Mall. Starting at 6 p.m., demonstrators will march north on Third Street Northwest, east on Constitution Avenue, south on First Street, north on Fourth Street and end back on the Mall. Police will close and reopen those roads as marchers clear the intersections.

Demonstrators will urge Congress to pass a bill to grant legal status to illegal aliens.

The event is organized by the National Capital Immigration Coalition.

A demonstration against Iran also will necessitate road closures near the National Cathedral, police said.

Woodley Road between Wisconsin Avenue and 34th Street will be closed from 3:30 to 9 p.m. A closure is planned for 4 to 9 p.m. on Wisconsin Avenue between Massachusetts Avenue and Woodley Road.

Parking along both stretches, and on Garfield Street between 34th Street and Massachusetts Avenue, is suspended from 1:30 to 11 p.m.

Man pleads guilty to theft of $100 bills

A former Bureau of Engraving and Printing employee pleaded guilty to stealing more than $67,000 in uncut sheets of $100 bills and trying to launder the money through slot machines.

David C. Faison, 56, of Largo, was caught after casinos in Delaware, West Virginia and New Jersey noticed that the bills did not contain government seals or serial numbers. Surveillance video showed him feeding bills into slot machines, playing for a while, then cashing out for new bills.

On the job, Faison distributed currency paper within the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

Authorities said they found sheets of $100 bills in a roll of Christmas wrapping paper in the closet of his bedroom when they searched his home earlier this year.

Faison faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced Jan. 12. He also must pay about $37,000 in restitution.

Lobbyist sentenced for embezzlement

An assistant at a District-based lobbying firm was sentenced yesterday to nearly three years in prison for stealing $893,913 from the company in 2004 and 2005.

Anna M. Anderson, 28, of Woodbridge, Va., worked as a bookkeeper for Global USA Inc. in 2004. Authorities said that was when she began wiring money into bank accounts belonging to her and her fiance. She was sentenced to 34 months in prison.

The stolen money funded a lavish lifestyle for Anderson, including a $40,466 Mercedes-Benz, a $33,296 engagement ring and a $10,000 Christmas party, court records show.

She pleaded guilty in federal court.

Anderson was serving probation on a previous felony-embezzlement conviction in Virginia at the time of the theft, prosecutors said.



Inmate charged in stabbing of guard

State corrections officials have charged an inmate in an attack on a correctional officer Tuesday.

Alvin Reeves, 21, was charged yesterday with attempted murder, assault, carrying a deadly weapon, reckless endangerment and other charges.

Authorities said Reeves attacked a correctional officer at the Jessup Correctional Institution on Tuesday morning as inmates were taken to breakfast. The officer was stabbed in the upper torso and was taken to a hospital. The wounds are not life-threatening.

Officials said the facility remained on lockdown yesterday and a full search is under way.

Reeves is serving a 16-year sentence for attempted murder and faces life plus 111 years in prison if convicted of all the new charges.


Police identify body found 8 months ago

Howard County police have identified the body of a homicide victim found in a wooded area in January.

DNA testing shows the body is that of Anber Gumercindo Juarez-Sanchez, 18, of Silver Spring. He had been missing since August 2005.

His skeleton was found Jan. 7 by hunters off Mission Road near Concord Drive.

Police said they cannot release information about the cause of death.


Officers identified in two shootings

Prince George’s County police have identified the officers involved in two recent shootings.

Officers Robert Lee and Bruce Bowen fatally shot Anthony Johnson, 25, on Monday in Capitol Heights after Mr. Johnson pulled a loaded handgun. The officers were attempting to stop Mr. Johnson after reports that he had threatened employees of a nearby grocery store with a gun.

Late Sunday at a grocery store in Clinton, police said, Officer Curtis Gouldin shot a man after he ran toward him, ignoring orders to stop and show his hands. Witnesses told Officer Gouldin that the man had been involved in a shooting in the parking lot.

The man was shot in the wrist and was treated at a hospital. He has not been identified.

Officers Gouldin and Lee are two-year veterans of the force. Officer Bowen has been with the force for one year. All three have been removed from street duty while the department investigates the shootings.


Jury awards damages in girl’s death

The parents of a high school student who died after she collapsed in a classroom have been awarded $300,000 each by an Allegany County jury.

Cora Houdersheldt and David Sines had sued the Allegany County Board of Education, saying its failure to have automated external defibrillators and school personnel trained in their use and in cardiopulmonary resuscitation led to Kelly Sines’ death.

Kelly, 16, was in science class on April 12, 2002, when she got up to turn in a test paper and collapsed, said Greg Smith, who was principal at Beall High School.

Her death was caused by cardiac arrhythmia, a change from the normal rate or control of the heart’s muscle contractions, the state medical examiner found.

Mr. Smith said an emergency medical technician on staff began working on Kelly at 1:45 p.m., eight minutes after she collapsed. The delay caused or contributed to her death, her parents said.

Under state law, Maryland high schools were to have automated external defibrillators in place, and to have a trained person present at all school-sponsored athletic events, by July 1 this year.


Ex-teacher sentenced in molestation case

A former Boonsboro Middle School teacher was sentenced to 4 years in prison yesterday for molesting a female student 22 years ago.

Robert Merle Haines Jr., 47, of Annapolis, was ordered to avoid contact with the victim, attend psychological treatment and register as a sex offender. Washington County Circuit Judge John H. McDowell also ordered Haines to be placed on 3 years of supervised probation after his release from prison.

Haines pleaded guilty in June to one count of child sexual abuse, an offense with a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison. In return for his guilty plea, prosecutors dropped charges of second-degree rape and molesting three other girls during the 1983-84 school year.


Hospital trial hinges on unlocked window

An attorney for the family of a woman who fell to her death from a fourth-floor hospital window told a jury yesterday that she should have been more closely watched and placed in a more secure environment.

But defense attorneys said neither Frederick Memorial Hospital nor Dr. Ernest Clevinger, the neurologist who admitted Oksana Kalynowsky, 84, for care, could have foreseen the threat she posed to herself, based upon her behavior on the day she died.

About 14 hours after arriving at the hospital in August 2003, Mrs. Kalynowsky, who had Parkinson’s disease and dementia, was found dead on the roof of the main entrance — three stories below her room’s open window.

The hospital has since implemented a policy requiring that patient windows be locked.

Mrs. Kalynowsky’s twin daughters, Irene Kirilloff of Frederick and Nina Platt of Stevenson, are seeking $100,000 in damages, but their attorney said he will ask for “substantial” additional compensation for the family’s loss.

The trial in Frederick County Circuit Court is expected to run through next week.


Man sentenced in fatal shooting

A Parkville man who killed a restaurant owner after an argument has been sentenced to life in prison.

Judge Roger W. Brown sentenced William R. Langley, 49, to life in prison plus 20 years for shooting Nae Chun Pak, 46, the owner of a South Baltimore carryout restaurant in the 600 block of Cherry Hill Road.

Langley placed a food order at Mr. Pak’s restaurant on Oct. 3, and the two began arguing. Langley had his money returned and left, but returned a short time later to shoot Mr. Pak in the head.



Venue change denied in missionary slaying

The Oct. 31 trial of a man accused of killing a Mormon missionary and wounding another will not be relocated, a judge has decided.

Attorneys for James R. Boughton Jr., 19, had asked a Circuit Court judge for a change of venue, arguing that their client cannot receive a fair trial in the region because of press reports. Prosecutors disagreed.

Judge Frederick H. Creekmore Sr. ruled that the defense had not shown that any reports were inaccurate or intemperate.

Mr. Boughton is accused in the Jan. 2 fatal shooting of Morgan W. Young, 21, of Bountiful, Utah, and the wounding of Joshua Heidbrink, 19, of Greeley, Colo.

Mr. Heidbrink testified at a hearing in June that he and Mr. Young were going door to door evangelizing when they heard a shot and saw a man running toward them. The man shot him, then he saw Mr. Young on his knees looking up at the shooter, heard a pop, then saw Mr. Young fall forward. He did not identify the shooter at the hearing.


Students, grads protest college’s coed move

Students, alumnae and faculty members appealed to Randolph-Macon Woman’s College’s board of trustees yesterday to delay its planned vote Saturday on admitting men to the 115-year-old institution.

A series of speakers addressed a crowd of about 200 that gathered in front of Smith Hall to protest the board’s expected decision to make the school coed.

“Here we can be ourselves as loud as we like, as strong as we are. We are women, hear us roar,” Carolyn Bell, a 1975 graduate and English professor at the college, said to cheers.

Anne Haley, a senior and chairwoman of the Coalition to Preserve Women’s Education, said she knew the board likely would vote in favor of coeducation. “That doesn’t mean when that vote comes we’re going to stop fighting,” she said.

From wire dispatches and staff reports



Click to Read More

Click to Hide