- The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 18, 2007


Two persons injured in early morning fire

An early morning fire yesterday injured two persons, fire officials said.

Fire department spokesman Alan Etter said a man and a woman were found just inside the door of a third-floor apartment and taken to a hospital for treatment.

The blaze broke out about 1 a.m. in a three-story apartment building in the 600 block of Morton Street Northwest.

Fire investigators said a general fire alarm in the building was working at the time of the blaze. Investigators are trying to determine whether smoke alarms in apartments worked properly.

Two shot in accident outside White House

Two Secret Service officers were injured yesterday in an accidental shooting in a security booth at the southwest gate of the White House.

Secret Service spokeswoman Kim Bruce said one officer was injured in the leg and the other received a shrapnel wound in his face. The gun involved was a government-issued weapon, she said.

Both officers were taken to nearby George Washington University Hospital. Their injuries did not appear life-threatening, Miss Bruce said.

The Secret Service Office of Inspection will conduct a review.


Metro asks riders to take service survey

Some Metrorail riders received survey cards as they walked through transit stations yesterday.

Transit agency staffers will hand out more than 300,000 of the cards over the next five weeks in an effort to find out how customers feel about service.

General Manager John B. Catoe Jr. said he hopes to use the cards for planning purposes.

The questionnaires are being distributed in all 86 stations on weekdays until midnight.

The postage-paid, self-addressed cards can be mailed back or dropped off in collection boxes near the station managers’ kiosks.



Man gets probation for distributing sex DVD

A Chesterfield County man has pleaded no contest to producing a homemade sex DVD that was copied and placed on vehicle windshields along a suburban Richmond corridor.

David Feltmeyer, 33, was sentenced Monday to a 90-day suspended jail term and 30 hours of community service after entering an Alford plea to a single misdemeanor count of “knowingly producing an obscene exhibition.”

With the Alford plea, Feltmeyer didn’t admit guilt but acknowledged the prosecution had evidence for a conviction.

Feltmeyer was arrested last month. Police said he used his computer to make numerous copies of an 18-minute DVD that contained intimate moments between him and his former girlfriend.

Copies of the DVD were randomly placed on vehicle windshields in February.

The DVDs included the former girlfriend’s name, address and phone number. Police said men began calling the woman or showing up at her house.


Teacher sentenced for rape, molestation

A retired Virginia teacher who pleaded guilty last month to molesting a girl numerous times in Ohio and Virginia was designated a sexual predator yesterday in Ohio and sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Ohio officials said Jonathan Utin, 65, had agreed to accept the designation and prison sentence when he pleaded guilty to eight counts of rape and eight counts of gross sexual imposition last month.

Utin, a middle school science teacher in Blacksburg from 1968 to 2003, also had been a gymnastics coach, Sunday school teacher and swim club manager. He was indicted in September, a month after a 12-year-old Ohio girl told police that Utin molested her.

Utin was arrested in Blacksburg and was questioned by police from Middletown, Ohio. Police said that during that questioning, Utin confessed that he had molested children over three decades.

He also was fined $20,000.



Traffic stop nets thousands in drug money

A traffic stop led to the arrest of a wanted Virginia man and the seizure of nearly $59,000 in suspected drug money, authorities said.

The Wicomico County Sheriff’s Department said Christopher Smallwood, 30, of Suffolk, was wanted on outstanding warrants in Somerset County. He was a passenger in the car that was stopped Sunday for driving erratically on Route 13.

Most of the money was found in tightly wrapped bundles in a freezer bag in a lock box. Police said neither Mr. Smallwood nor the driver claimed ownership of the cash.

The driver, a 36-year-old woman from Hampton, Va., was released without formal charges while the criminal investigation continues.


Prosecution rests in gang trial

Federal prosecutors in Greenbelt yesterday presented the last of nearly 80 witnesses in the trial of three men accused of racketeering and murder as members of the MS-13 street gang.

Jose Cruz “Piranha” Diaz, 27, of Lanham; Omar “Duke” Vasquez, 28; and Henry “Homeboy” Zelaya, 20, could be sentenced to life in prison if convicted.

Their defense is set to begin today.

The three defendants are among 22 persons who were indicted last year. Two were found guilty in November after a six-week trial, and eight have pleaded guilty.


Missing man found pinned under tree

A missing Laurel man was found alive under a fallen tree.

Max McCord was reported missing Monday night by his fiancee. Kirstin Luke told police that Mr. McCord took his dog for a walk after lunch and never returned. She came home and found the dog in their yard.

A police helicopter was used in the search because police were concerned that Mr. McCord may have fallen into the swollen Little Patuxent River near his home.

About 8 p.m., police said the helicopter crew found him in a wooded area pinned under a tree that was brought down by high winds.

Mr. McCord was transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore after firefighters used chain saws to free him. Police said he has serious injuries.


Road-rage shooter sentenced to 30 years

A Baltimore man was sentenced to 30 years in prison for shooting at another driver who would not get out of the passing lane.

Jimmie Lee Johnson, 36, was sentenced Monday in Washington County Circuit Court for the June 19 shooting on Interstate 70. A jury convicted him in February of attempted second-degree murder, handgun violations, marijuana possession and other offenses.

Johnson had argued during his trial that he fired at Kyle Hitchcock in self-defense, emptying his 9 mm handgun, after Mr. Hitchcock made an obscene gesture and uttered a racial slur.

Police said three bullets hit Mr. Hitchcock’s car but neither he nor his passenger was hurt.


Probe finds no favor for mayor’s daughter

The Ocean City Police Department said an internal investigation has concluded that a politician’s daughter didn’t get special treatment when she was excused after a traffic stop.

The probe found, however, that a departmental policy requiring the notification of top police officials about the traffic stop was not followed.

The investigation involved the 2005 stop of Kellie Meehan, the daughter of Mayor Rick Meehan, who was then a member of the Town Council. The probe began after the Salisbury Daily Times received an unsigned document that said police noticed she was inebriated and called her father to come pick her up without filing any charges.

The findings corroborate Mr. Meehan’s recollection that the call was made as a precaution, not because police suspected that his daughter was too drunk to drive.


Two teens blamed for toddler’s burns

Two teenagers were charged with breaking into a school and pouring drain cleaner on playground equipment, which later caused serious chemical burns to a 2-year-old boy using a slide, Baltimore County police said.

The two unidentified 16-year-old boys were charged Monday night with reckless endangerment and second-degree burglary and released to their parents. A school resource officer learned about the first juvenile, which police said led them to the second, who was arrested later.

The industrial-strength drain cleaner was removed from a storage facility at Victory Villa Elementary School. The drain cleaner, which has a high concentration of sulfuric acid, was splashed over the school’s playground equipment, police said.

Two-year-old Peyton Potochney used a slide at the playground Saturday, suffering second- and third-degree burns, mostly on his legs.


Man gets 3 life terms for ‘05 triple murder

A Baltimore judge has sentenced a city man to three consecutive life sentences without parole in a 2005 triple murder.

Derrick Taylor, 27, was sentenced for shooting Nathan Gulliver, 49, Antwon Arthur, 38, and Steven Matthews, 36. The three men were killed in January 2005 at a drug and alcohol recovery house.

Taylor will serve another 60 years after the life sentences for three counts of using a handgun in a violent crime.

Corey McMillon is schedules for trial this week on the same charges. He already is serving a life sentence for an earlier murder.


Miners trapped after wall collapse

Rescue crews were working yesterday to reach two coal miners possibly buried beneath 75 feet of rock and dirt from a collapsed wall of an open pit mine in the Western Maryland mountains, an emergency management official said.

A team went into the pit shortly before 6 p.m. to assess any additional instability in the mine wall, said Richard L. DeVore, Allegany County director of emergency services.

“Basically, there are still two unaccounted-for employees and some vehicles that we believe are buried within the pile of debris, which is upwards of 75 feet tall,” Mr. DeVore said.

He said high-powered lights would likely be brought in to enable crews to work through the night, if necessary.

The first call about the collapse at the Tri-Star Job No. 3 mine near Barton came at 10:05 a.m. The mine spans the Allegany-Garrett county line, and the collapsed wall is in Garrett County.

Mr. Devote said the section of wall that came down was about 300 feet long and 60 feet high.

From wire dispatches and staff reports.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide