- The Washington Times - Thursday, April 19, 2007


Doctor sentenced for Medicare claims

A federal judge yesterday sentenced a prominent longtime District-based AIDS doctor to five months in prison for a scam that netted him more than $150,000 in phony Medicare claims.

Larry Bruni, 55, claimed he injected a blood thinner called Reteplase into one patient more than 100 times, according to court records. It almost always is given just once to heart-attack victims.

Prosecutors said that easily would have killed the patient, but investigators later determined the claims were bogus.

Bruni, one of the District’s leading AIDS doctors in the 1980s, also ordered his two Afghan hounds to bite investigators when they arrived at his home in upstate New York in 2005 to seize his computer.

U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton also ordered Bruni to pay $154,832 in restitution and serve three years of probation.

Prosecutors said the fraud happened from October 2001 to March 2003.

Circulator bus crashes into building window

An office building was evacuated yesterday in the Georgetown area after a bus crashed through a window.

Fire department spokesman Alan Etter said a D.C. Circulator bus slammed into the Harris Building in the 3300 block of Whitehaven Street Northwest after colliding with a minivan. The building is used by Georgetown University.

Mr. Etter said a woman was inside the building suffered minor injuries when she was hit by debris.

Mr. Etter said that about 200 people were cleared from the four-story brick building, but that there was no serious structural damage.



Cross-dressing man forces school lockdown

Anne Arundel County police spent yesterday looking for an attempted murder suspect who caused a lockdown at two Glen Burnie area schools.

Police said a man apparently dressed in women’s clothing entered North County High School about 10 a.m. He told police he was there to visit a female student, and when the officer found the student, she said she wasn’t expecting any visitors.

Police said they went back to the lobby to question the man, but he was gone. Other officers were called to the scene and nearby Hilltop Elementary School also was locked down.

After interviews, police determined that the man likely was Antonio Moore, who is a suspect in an attempted murder in Brooklyn Park on Saturday.

Police said a man hit Teiko Johnson in the face with the butt of a gun and tried to force him into the trunk of his car. Mr. Johnson was injured but was able to flee.

Then, police said the man thought to be Mr. Moore forced Michael Francis into the trunk of his car, shot him and drove off with Mr. Francis in the trunk. Mr. Francis has not been found.


Rock flies off truck, kills toddler

A 3-year-old Frostburg area girl died from injuries she suffered in a freak accident Monday afternoon while riding in her father’s pickup truck.

Police said a large rock apparently fell from a dump truck, bounced on the road then smashed through the windshield of the pickup truck as it traveled on Vale Summit Road west of Cumberland.

Emmaline McKenzie died late Monday night at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

Police said the girl was in a child safety seat when she was struck. Authorities say her father, Ronald McKenzie, tried but could not prevent the truck from being struck by the rock.

Troopers said efforts to find the dump truck were unsuccessful.


Woman abducted, raped by three men

Montgomery County police are hoping the public can help them find three rape suspects in the abduction of a woman on Georgia Avenue in Wheaton on Sunday night.

About 7:45 p.m. near Randolph Road, an 18-year-old woman said she was approached by a man with a handgun who demanded money. She was forced into a small dark-colored compact car and raped by three men.

She was released along Avery Road near Southlawn Lane in Rockville about 90 minutes later, police said.

The woman offered detailed descriptions of two men involved in her attack.

The Montgomery County CrimeSolvers program is taking tips on the case at 866/411-TIPS.


State orders fixes at wastewater plant

The Maryland Department of the Environment has issued a corrective order in the aftermath of last month’s chlorine release at Frederick’s wastewater-treatment plant.

The plant released 400 pounds of chlorine March 15. No one was injured, and the plant blamed the release on operator error.

The order issued last week requires the facility submit a plan to prevent future occurrences. The plant has 30 days to submit the plan to state regulators.


Homeless man sought in beating death

Anne Arundel County police are searching for a suspect in the slaying of a homeless man.

Police said the suspect, Allan Clark, 22, is also a homeless man.

Police found the body of Michael Evans, 53, slumped over an air-conditioning unit at a homeless shelter the morning of April 5.

An autopsy revealed he died from blunt-force trauma injuries.

According to police interviews, Mr. Clark and Mr. Evans got into a fight that led to Mr. Evans’ death.

Mr. Clark is charged with second-degree murder, first-degree assault and robbery.


Sex offender planned trip with three boys

Baltimore County police arrested a registered sex offender who was planning a trip to Florida with three boys.

Richard Morris, 24, was arrested Friday. He is charged with sexual abuse of a minor and third- and fourth-degree sex offenses. He already has been convicted on child sex charges.

The grandfather of one of the boys interrupted the trip when police said he learned Morris was a registered sex offender. When police arrived at his home on Deer Park Road, they said officers found suitcases packed.

The police investigation also revealed that he invited grade-school boys to his house and that they slept in his bedroom. Police said one boy told them about sexual contact he had with Morris.

Morris was released from custody after posting bail. Police said they want the public’s help in finding possible victims or additional information.



Eagle triplets thrive at botanical garden

A set of month-old eagle triplets at the Norfolk Botanical Garden have gotten a clean bill of health.

Officials from the Center for Conservation Biology at the College of William & Mary said the two males and one female are growing nicely, are free of parasites and disease and appear “in really good condition.”

The eaglets received a thorough examination Tuesday. They had their beaks, feet and talons measured and blood sampled. The eagles also were weighed and banded to keep tabs on their whereabouts.

This is the fourth year that a pair of bald eagles has mated in an 800-pound nest of sticks and twigs about 80 feet up in a huge pine tree at the city garden.

It is also the second-straight year that the parents have bred triplets, a rarity for the federally protected species.

The eaglets likely will attempt their first flight about Memorial Day.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide