- The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Mick, Marty team up

Martin Scorsese, fresh off his long-awaited best-director Oscar for “The Departed,” will team up with Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger to make a rock film, Agence France-Presse reports.

Mr. Scorsese will develop the project, titled “The Long Play,” with screenwriter William Monahan, who won the best-adapted-screenplay Oscar Sunday for “The Departed.” Mr. Jagger will finance the movie — which follows the lives of two friends in the rock world from the 1960s until today — through his film production company, Variety reports.

Mr. Scorsese and Mr. Jagger have worked together before. The filmmaker recently directed a Rolling Stones documentary after doing the same with music legend Bob Dylan in 2005.

New ‘Trek’ for Abrams

J.J. Abrams, creator of the hit TV series “Lost” and “Alias,” has been picked to direct the 11th installment of the “Star Trek” film franchise, Paramount Pictures announced Tuesday.

Mr. Abrams, who also directed the action flick “Mission: Impossible III” starring Tom Cruise, will begin filming the latest “Star Trek” adventure later this year, AFP reports. The sci-fi film is due out in late 2008, the studio said.

“Star Trek” began as a television series in 1966 and celebrated its 40th anniversary last year. According to Paramount, the 10 “Star Trek” films have grossed more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

Bad week for Diddy

Sean “Diddy” Combs was accused of battery at a Hollywood hotel the day of the Academy Awards, police said Tuesday.

Police took a report from someone who accused Mr. Combs of battery at the famed Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on Sunday, Officer Jason Lee, a police spokesman, told Assocated Press. The hotel is across the street from the Kodak Theatre, the site of Sunday’s Oscars ceremony. Mr. Combs, 37, was in town for Academy Awards events.

Officer Lee didn’t release more details, but the celebrity news Web site TMZ.com reported that the complaint was filed by real estate agent Gerard Rechnitzer, 27. According to a document posted on the site, Mr. Rechnitzer was punched shortly after 2:30 a.m. Sunday on the right side of his face by someone who had talked to Mr. Rechnitzer’s girlfriend. Meghan Prophet, Mr. Combs’ publicist, declined comment.

Meanwhile, a British court yesterday ruled that Mr. Combs had breached an agreement with a London-based record producer not to use the alias “Diddy” in Britain, Reuters reports.

In a written ruling from England’s High Court in London, Judge David Kitchin said Mr. Combs had advertised himself as Diddy in a song on his latest album, “Press Play,” violating a deal reached last year with London-based Richard “Diddy” Dearlove. Mr. Combs has promised that the offending lyric, “mainline this Diddy heroin,” will be removed from the song “The Future” when it is performed in Britain from now on.

Christie on the mend

Former supermodel Christie Brinkley is recuperating from back surgery at a Manhattan hospital, her publicist, Marcia Horowitz, said yesterday. She is expected to be released tomorrow.

Miss Brinkley, 53, hurt her back during a ski trip in Aspen, Colo., in December “and [it] worsened in the past few days,” Miss Horowitz told AP.

Compiled by Robyn-Denise Yourse from wire reports.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide