- The Washington Times - Friday, February 9, 2007

ATLANTA (AP) — A former Coca-Cola secretary who was convicted of conspiring to steal trade secrets from the beverage giant was ordered to jail yesterday because of concern she could be a flight risk.

U.S. District Judge J. Owen Forrester told Joya Williams that her behavior since her arrest in July showed she “would do anything to avoid going to jail.”

“You have utter disregard for the law,” Judge Forrester said during the two-hour hearing in federal court. “I could not trust you on your word.”

Williams, 41, who had been free on bond pending sentencing, was immediately taken into custody. She posted a $3,000 bond after her arrest in July, according to court records.

It wasn’t immediately clear whether she would receive the money back now.

She faces up to 10 years in prison for conspiring to steal trade secrets from Atlanta-based Coca-Cola Co. and sell them to rival PepsiCo. Inc. The sentencing for Williams and two co-defendants who pleaded guilty to conspiracy — Ibrahim Dimson and Edmund Duhaney — is set for May 23.

Williams’ attorney, Janice Singer, has said she will appeal the verdict.

Federal prosecutors filed papers Tuesday asking for the immediate jailing of Williams after investigators found clothing, prescription medication, papers and other personal items in her Mustang after a fire that destroyed her apartment a week ago. The fire, which started in Williams’ apartment but was ruled accidental, occurred just 90 minutes after she was found guilty in federal court in Atlanta.

Judge Forrester chastised Williams for lying on the witness stand and to federal investigators on several occasions, and said her credibility was a problem throughout the trial.

He also was concerned that she sent threatening text messages to former boyfriend Sedrick Wilson after he declined her requests that he lie under oath.

“This is a federal court, and in federal court, we don’t play,” the judge said.

U.S. Attorney Byung J. Pak said that Williams told fire investigators that she was “high as a kite” from mixing prescription medications with an entire bottle of cough medicine before the verdict last week. Mr. Pak said Williams also lied to fire investigators several times about her whereabouts when the fire started.

He also pointed to threatening text messages Williams sent to Mr. Wilson after he declined her requests that he lie on the witness stand.

“In stressful situations, she is proven to act unpredictably,” Mr. Pak told the judge.

Ms. Singer called the government’s assertion that her client is a risk to the community and a risk of flight “more than offensive.”

“She has met all of the conditions of her bond,” Ms. Singer told the judge.

She pointed to witness testimony that Williams’ car was “junky” and always full of clothing and other items. She said Williams had no intention of fleeing after the fire because she left her keys and cell phone in her apartment.

Ms. Singer declined to make further comment after the hearing.

After the judge’s decision, Williams’ tearful family and friends huddled in the hallway outside the courtroom talking quietly.

Several family members and friends declined to comment.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More

Click to Hide