- The Washington Times - Wednesday, January 10, 2007



Officers won’t face charges in killing

Four Anne Arundel County police officers involved in the fatal shooting of a Glen Burnie teenager won’t face criminal charges, prosecutors said yesterday.

The May 14 shooting happened after a traffic stop on Arbutus Road in Pasadena. Salisbury University freshman Justin Fisher, 18, was shot five times after he charged at officers after refusing repeated orders to drop a pair of scissors, police said.

Mr. Fisher’s mother had called police to report that her son was threatening himself and his girlfriend and that he had a history of psychotic episodes.

The decision not to prosecute the officers came after grand jury testimony from witnesses. Police, however, said an administrative investigation is continuing.

An attorney for Mr. Fisher’s family said the family plans to sue the county and the officers.


Restaurant owners plead to tax charges

Four Maryland residents who owned a restaurant in the District pleaded guilty yesterday to falsely reporting their income, federal prosecutors said.

The four family members — Konstantinos Stamoulis, 70; John Stamoulis, 40; George Stamoulis, 42, and Maria Stamoulis, 36 — pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court.

The four deposited money from the day’s receipts at the Kostas Cafe into their personal accounts without reporting it to the Internal Revenue Service. Prosecutors said they kept back several hundred dollars every day from 1999 through 2002.

They were charged with failure to report income from the restaurant at 1201 New York Ave. NW. They will be sentenced in April.



Court battle likely over church property

Episcopal leaders said they won’t renew a 30-day agreement halting discipline against two Northern Virginia parishes that left the American denomination in a conflict over views on homosexuality.

The decision not to renew the agreement, which expires next Wednesday, likely will prompt a court battle over millions of dollars in property held by Truro Church in Fairfax and the Falls Church parish.

“We are required by the standstill agreement to give seven days’ notice whether that agreement is going to be renewed,” said Patrick Getlein, secretary of the diocese. He said officials would meet after next Wednesday to determine the next step.

“It’s premature to speculate on what might happen,” he said. “We don’t know.”

Leaders of the churches, with more than 4,000 of the 90,000 members of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia, expressed disappointment with the diocese’s decision.

“We urge the diocese and the Episcopal Church to return, with all the Christian charity each of us can muster, to the important work of reaching amicable settlements,” said the Rev. John Yates, rector at Falls Church.

Several Virginia congregations voted last month to part ways with the Episcopal Church, citing disagreements with the U.S. denomination’s liberal views on homosexuality. They will align with the Convocation of Anglicans in North America, which was established by conservative Anglican Archbishop Peter J. Akinola of Nigeria.

Virginia diocesan leaders responded by announcing plans to lay claim to church property.

About 90 percent of Falls Church parishioners and 92 percent of Truro members supported cutting ties with the Episcopal Church.


Multiple-vehicle crash closes Interstate 81

A section of Interstate 81 in southwestern Virginia was closed for about 3 hours yesterday after at least 10 tractor-trailers and other vehicles crashed on the highway that had become slick with snow.

No serious injuries were reported from the accidents shortly after 11 a.m., but four hours later, state police Sgt. Michael Conroy said traffic was backed up for at least six miles.

Most of the crashes were caused by drivers failing to slow down once the highway became covered with snow, Sgt. Conroy said.

Police reported clusters of accidents near the 42-mile marker near Marion and south of it close to Chilhowie.

Sgt. Conroy said that at least six tractor-trailers overturned, but that the scene was so chaotic that police could not immediately determine how many vehicles were involved.


Man gets 30 years in CD party slaying

A Fredericksburg man was sentenced to 30 years in prison yesterday in the fatal stabbing of a teenager at a dance party one year ago.

Marvin M. Parker, 18, pleaded guilty in October to second-degree murder in the January 2006 slaying of Baron P. Braswell II, 16, a junior at Courtland High School.

Defense attorney Charles C. Cosby contended that Parker was heavily influenced by the violence-laced rap lyrics playing at a CD-release party at a motel attended by more than 100 teenagers.

Spotsylvania Circuit Judge Ann Hunter Simpson sentenced Parker to the maximum 40 years in prison but suspended 10 years.

“We’re delighted that the judge saw fit to impose a sentence that was commensurate with the crime,” the victim’s father, Baron Braswell, said.

The younger Braswell was a star football player at Courtland and planned to attend college. His teammates dedicated this past season to him.

Four Fredericksburg teens were convicted of a misdemean-or assault and were ordered to perform community service.


Ricocheting arrow lodges in boy’s head

A 14-year-old boy was wounded after an arrow ricocheted off a tree and lodged in his head near his eye, authorities said.

James City County Fire Department District Chief Buster Canaday said the boy — with the arrow still in his head — was flown Monday afternoon by helicopter to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. He told the Daily Press newspaper that crews called for the helicopter so the boy would not be subjected to a bumpy ride.

Chief Canaday said the arrow appeared to be between the boy’s nasal cavity and his eye. He said that the fiberglass arrow had a blunt tip and that the boy was in stable condition. He said he was “quite certain he will be OK.”

Officials did not identify the teenager but said he had been playing in the woods with friends when the accident happened.


Hiker could face charges after search

Charges may be filed against a Warrenton man who was the focus of a search in Shenandoah National Park last week.

Park public information officer Karen Beck-Herzog said park officials are reviewing the case with the U.S. attorney’s office to determine whether to file charges against Leo Joseph Leger, 35.

The search for Mr. Leger ended Friday at a house in Madison, W.Va. Park rangers and search-and-rescue teams looked for him for three days.

Mrs. Beck-Herzog said that upon questioning, Mr. Leger admitted to traveling at night and taking cover during the day to evade searchers.


Man found dead in parole building

A man was killed in an attack yesterday morning in a busy section of historic Old Town.

He was identified as Kareem Timmons, 29, who had been indicted this month on felony cocaine possession charges and had previous convictions for minor property crimes, court records show. His body was found bleeding in the lobby of the Virginia Department of Probation and Parole on South Washington Street at about 10:30 a.m.

A 27-year-old friend of the victim was charged with murder last night.

The homicide was the city’s first this year. Five persons were slain in Alexandria in 2006.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide