- The Washington Times - Monday, June 4, 2007

Americans who filed their federal income tax returns in mid-April may think they are done with the Internal Revenue Service for the year. But some 3 million of them will soon be receiving “Dear Taxpayer” letters pointing out problems ranging from simple math errors to questionable itemized deductions.

There’s no need to panic, tax experts advise. Often the questions are easy to answer or misunderstandings easy to clear up.

“Don’t assume that just because you’re getting a notice that you’ve done something wrong,” said Eric Tyson, co-author of “Taxes 2007 for Dummies.” “You may not have made a mistake.”

He added that “a lot of the issues are fairly easily dealt with,” often by providing additional documentation.

That doesn’t mean the taxpayer should throw the letter in a drawer and forget about it, said Mr. Tyson, who suggested that a quick call to the IRS could resolve the issue “or at least get the process going.”

IRS spokeswoman Nancy Mathis said millions of notices go out in May and June each year based on the April tax filings. Last year, some 3.1 million notices were sent.

“It could be about an inaccurate Social Security number, or a deduction we don’t understand or that somebody subtracted wrong,” Ms. Mathis said.

If the return wasn’t signed, it will be mailed back with a cover letter for that signature before it’s processed, she added.

In addition, the IRS will send out more than 3 million copies of its CP 2000 Notice of Underreported Income this year.

These forms, which are based on 2005 tax-year filings, are more serious and generally propose changes to the individual’s tax return that result in more taxes due.

“In this case, there is a discrepancy,” Ms. Mathis said. “Basically, your return doesn’t match up with the information we have. We tell the taxpayer what that is and propose what the settlement might be.”

Mel Schwarz, a national tax partner with Grant Thornton LLP, an accounting firm headquartered in Chicago, said most taxpayers can handle the correction of simple errors on their own, directly with the IRS.

Mr. Schwarz did so himself last year.

“I wrote down my son’s name, which is the same as mine except for a different middle initial, and then I wrote down my Social Security number after his name,” he said.

The IRS disallowed the exemption for his son, recalculated the taxes due and sent a letter to Mr. Schwarz requesting payment.

Mr. Schwarz straightened out his error with a phone call to the IRS, he said.

Taxpayers who make similar calls should remember to keep track of the IRS worker’s name and employee number as well as the date “so if anything else comes up, you have a record to trace back to,” he said.

If taxpayers do have to correct their federal tax returns, they also need to take a second look at their state returns to make sure the error wasn’t repeated there, he said.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide