- The Washington Times - Friday, March 30, 2007


Crew saves four from fire

Two emergency medical technicians are being hailed for alerting residents of a Northeast home to an overnight fire.

The ambulance crew was returning to their station on Rhode Island Avenue Northeast from Providence Hospital about 11 p.m. Wednesday when they saw a fire burning on the outside of a store in the 2300 block of Fourth Street Northeast.

The crew contacted emergency dispatchers to send an engine company to the scene, but the blaze was threatening an adjacent row house.

D.C. fire department spokesman Alan Etter said when the firefighters were unable to get someone to respond at the door of the home, they threw rocks at the second-story window.

Two men and two women who were on the home’s second floor were alerted as smoke began seeping through the walls of the home from the burning store. They escaped without injury.

Region gets grant for equipment

Fire officials yesterday displayed rescue equipment for responding to disasters or terrorist attacks that was purchased with $54 million in Homeland Security grant money.

Officials used some of the money to buy eight mobile units for refilling firefighters’ oxygen tanks. The units look like firetrucks and can each refill up to 70 tanks an hour.

Arlington County Fire Chief James Schwartz, who heads the fire chiefs committee of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, said authorities struggled to keep firefighters supplied with air on September 11.

The new equipment also includes seven ambulance buses. They can each accommodate 20 patients on stretchers, plus health care providers.



Police respond to child’s call for help

Waynesboro police responded to a home after a neighbor saw a toddler yelling for help outside a window.

Police said they found a 1-year-old in a crib and a 2-year-old alone amid trash and the smell of feces and urine Tuesday evening.

The parents of the children, 22-year-old Jason Bosserman and 25-year-old Misty Marie Mullins Bosserman, were seen leaving the home 10 minutes before police were called to the scene.

Officers changed the 1-year-old’s diaper and said the baby had severe diaper rash and urine burns.

Police said they found drug paraphernalia on a kitchen table, within reach of the toddler.

The parents are free on bond after being charged with felony child neglect. Child protective services took custody of the children.


City pulls support for Civil War weekend

The city of Suffolk said it won’t sponsor the annual Civil War Weekend this year for financial reasons.

The weekend, traditionally held in April, will be held this weekend and has been renamed the History & Heritage Weekend.

Last year, members of the national group Sons of Confederate Veterans pulled out of the city-sponsored Civil War Weekend because former Mayor Bobby Ralph refused to sign a proclamation marking April Confederate History & Heritage Month.

The city spent $5,700 on the Civil War Weekend last year.

Dennis Craff, a city spokesman, calls the city’s decision “budgetary.”

Organizers said the lack of city support won’t have a large effect.


Mother must surrender newborn until trial

A judge has ruled that a pregnant woman accused of killing her infant daughter must give up her newborn to the state when it is born.

Isle of Wight Circuit Judge Rodham Delk ruled Wednesday that Sykeethia Towns must surrender the child until her trial on charges of killing a 6-month-old daughter in 2004 is concluded. The baby is due June 15.

A second child, a boy born last year, was taken from her by child protective services.

Miss Towns has pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of her first child and asked for a jury trial.

Judge Delk released Miss Towns on a $10,000 bond and said a trial date would be set after the baby is born. The judge said he was releasing Miss Towns on bond because of her high-risk pregnancy, caused by hypertension, and because she has no criminal record.



Police find remains in woody area

Baltimore County police are trying to identify skeletal remains found Monday afternoon.

The remains of a woman were found in a narrow woody area of the 3100 block of Persimmon Tree Court.

Police think the remains had been in the woods for a long time and said they have no reason to think they belong to Deysi Benitez, the missing mother of four children found dead Monday in Frederick.

The remains were sent to the medical examiner for an autopsy.


Teen attacked while protecting child

Cambridge Police said four students were arrested after purportedly beating up a teenager who tried to protect a younger child on a bus ride home from school.

Lt. Wayne Bromwell said those arrested were an 11-year-old girl from Mace’s Lane Middle School and three Maple Elementary School students, a 10-year-old girl, an 8-year-old girl and an 8-year-old boy.

They are charged as juveniles with second-degree assault and have been released to their parents’ custody.

Lt. Bromwell said a 14-year-old Cambridge South Dorchester High School student tried to protect a younger student during an argument on March 21.

The four students who are charged then purportedly attacked the teenager, an assault Lt. Bromwell said lasted several minutes. He said the victim’s parents saw her condition when she got home and called police.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide