- The Washington Times - Saturday, May 12, 2007

AVALON, Calif. (AP) — Cooler weather aided firefighters yesterday as they battled to surround a 4,200-acre wildfire in the rugged, unpopulated interior of Santa Catalina Island while the resort’s main town returned to life as the blaze’s threat eased.

The fire was a little less than halfway contained and was expected to be encircled by Tuesday evening, Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Andrew Olvera said. One home and six businesses burned Thursday but no one had been seriously injured.

Nearly 4,000 evacuated residents had started returning to the island.

“We have a sense of duty to the town to bring it back to normal,” delicatessen owner Rick Miller said as he unloaded supplies from his van. “People get hungry, and it doesn’t hurt to see businesses open and calm restored.”

Fog and highs in the 60s diminished the threat of the fire spreading. It was isolated in the back country of the 76-square-mile island, more than 20 miles off the Southern California coast.

The fire appeared to have been ignited by contractors working on antennas at a radio station in the island’s interior, Avalon Fire Chief Steven Hoefs said.

Bill Agresta, chief engineer at station KBRT-AM, said three contractors had been cutting steel antenna cable with a gas-powered circular saw Thursday when the fire ignited.

Mr. Agresta said he saw a small blaze and ran inside the station to call 911. By the time he returned, it had moved several hundred feet downhill and engulfed the contractors’ tool truck.

Elsewhere, smoke from a mammoth wildfire in the Southeast closed sections of two major highways yesterday. Crews were still battling a wildfire in Georgia and northern Florida that had burned 212,000 acres — or more than 330 square miles — since lightning ignited it a week ago.

Florida officials closed a 35-mile stretch of Interstate 75 from the Georgia-Florida state line to Lake City, Fla., as well as a 40-mile stretch of I-10 yesterday morning because of near-zero visibility from smoke. Georgia authorities closed the southbound lanes of I-75 for about 15 miles from Valdosta, Ga., to the state line.

Several accidents had occurred on the two highways, emergency management officials said.

The fire, which started in the middle of the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, took just six days to grow larger than a separate wildfire that had burned 124,000 acres of Georgia forest and swampland in more than three weeks.

In Georgia, the fire posed a threat to the town of Fargo, where about 380 people live about eight miles west of the Okefenokee Swamp. Occupants of about 15 homes were urged to leave as a precaution because of the smoke and ash.

About 600 residents evacuated late Thursday from about 160 homes in north Florida were still unable to return home yesterday, said Jim Harrell, of the Florida Division of Forestry.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide