- The Washington Times - Monday, May 14, 2007

The weekend drive-by shooting in which seven young men and boys were wounded has filled District Heights residents with anger and frustration

“It was crazy,” a 17-year-old girl, who declined to give her name said yesterday. “I heard the gunshots. I saw the car go down here with the gun in the air. I know most of the people who got shot.”

The shooting occurred at about 5 p.m. Saturday in the 6800 block of Atwood Street. The wounded residents, 12 to 22, were treated at hospitals for gunshots in their feet, legs and arms.

About four hours later, the Prince George’s County Police Department found a vehicle that might have been used by the assailants. Investigators also found a rifle inside the vehicle that fit the description of the one used in the attack.

However, some witnesses who saw the vehicle on television news said it was not the one used by the shooter, a driver and two passengers.

“It wasn’t the right car,” said Glenn Edwards, 17, who said it was a burgundy Lincoln Mark VIII.

“Regardless, they should get caught,” said Bobby Allen, 27, a carpenter handyman, who since 1982 has lived in the apartment complex near where the shooting occurred. “I hope the police do their job.”

Mr. Allen also said robberies occur “all the time” in the neighborhood.

Police say the shooting might be a carryover from a physical fight at a nearby McDonald’s a few nights earlier. Yesterday, police said that they have no new information and that no arrests have been made.

Witnesses said the shootings abruptly ended a quiet afternoon in which many residents were outside enjoying the spring weather.

“They shot little kids. It was like what you see on TV. People were on the ground. Bullets in them,” said Trina, 23, who also declined to give her last name.

Tommas McBud, 17, a resident on Atwood Street for three or four months, said, “I was out here. It was a catastrophe.”

Glenn Edwards said many residents were near the grassy area between two apartment houses. He was there to celebrate the birthday of his girlfriend’s niece.

“Everybody was out here having fun,” he said, and nobody paid much attention when the car stopped at the bus stop sign.

“They circled around two times. Then they stopped, and the dude put on a white mask. It was a light-skinned dude. There was four in the car. All the windows were down. I was close to getting shot. There was a dude behind me who got shot.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide