- The Washington Times - Saturday, May 19, 2007


Attack victim dies from head wound

Metropolitan Police say a Northwest man died Friday night after he was found unconscious a day earlier.

Police spokesman Sgt. Joe Gentile said David F. Harris, 54, was found Thursday night at about 9:30 behind 7304 Blair Road NW suffering from apparent head trauma.

Sgt. Gentile said Mr. Harris had been outside with a number of other people when he was attacked.

“At some point, a subject struck him,” Sgt. Gentile said. “He fell to the ground. By the time police got to the scene he was unconscious.”

Mr. Harris, who lived on the block where he was found, was transported to a local hospital. He died Friday at 10:27 p.m.

Police want anyone with information in the case to call 202/727-9099. Sgt. Gentile said there is a reward of up to $25,000 for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in the case.



Three teens hurt in car crash

Three teenagers were hospitalized yesterday, one in serious condition, after a one-car crash in Germantown.

Montgomery County police said the crash happened shortly after 6 a.m. on Middlebrook Road between Ridgecrest Drive and Waring Station Road. A Buick Century ran off the road, hitting a curb, then a tree in the median.

The driver, Reginald Primas, 18, of Germantown, was flown to a hospital. Two passengers in the back seat, Melvin Phillips, 18, and Ambrah Thomas, 17, both from Germantown, were also taken to a hospital. Their injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

Two of the teens attend Northwest High School and the third attends Clarksburg High.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation, but police think the driver may have fallen asleep.


Frederick man killed in forklift accident

A Frederick man died Friday after the forklift he was operating overturned.

Maryland State Police say Leonard Testerman, 48, was flown by helicopter to R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he later died from his injures.

Police said Mr. Testerman was operating a Lull Highlander forklift on private property at the time it overturned, about 3 p.m.


Stolen guns belonged to SWAT officer

Two guns stolen recently from the trunk of an unmarked police car belonged to a member of the Frederick SWAT team, police said.

A Colt M4 carbine .223-caliber automatic weapon and a black Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun were stolen Tuesday, along with ammunition and other police equipment including a bulletproof vest and Kevlar helmet.

Sheriff’s Cpl. Jennifer Bailey told the Frederick News-Post that police have no suspects in the case.

“Any time police equipment, including firearms, is stolen, it is cause for concern because we have to be concerned that it could fall into the wrong hands,” Cpl. Bailey said.

Frederick Police Chief Kim Dine said Friday the officer whose vehicle was burglarized remains on full-duty status despite accusations that he left his car containing police equipment unlocked, a violation of city police policy.

Chief Dine did not name the officer.

“Even if he left the car unlocked, he still was the victim of a crime,” he said.


Principals warned on supplying records

City school principals could face disciplinary action — even firing — if they don’t do a better job providing student records, according to warning letters sent by the school system.

About 120 principals received warning letters after a January audit revealed that missing and incomplete records are a widespread problem. The audit found incomplete records for 21 percent of the special-education students who had dropped out by 11th grade.

Another audit two years ago found missing health records for more than 1,300 students.

Baltimore City schools Interim CEO Charlene Cooper Boston told the newspaper that accurate records are a priority for her because of the system’s recent history.

“The state has directed that we have improvement in our records, so I’m following through,” she said.

The administrative union of Baltimore City public schools — which represents principals, vice principals and other top administrators — is challenging the warning letters.

“The state and courts have to understand that we have a very transient population,” said Jimmy Gittings, president of the union. “But my concern is the tone and the threats to the principals. That was disrespectful and makes no sense at all.”



Explosives found at ex-Marine’s house

A former Marine is behind bars after C-4 and other explosives stolen from a military base a decade ago were found in the home where he used to live.

James Oscar Dorries, 42, of Stafford, Va., was charged with three felony counts of possessing explosive devices.

Sheriff’s Maj. David Decatur said 3 pounds of C-4 and other items stolen from the Quantico Marine Corps base in the 1990s were in a shed behind the home. Officers also found electric blasting caps, a live military smoke grenade, various booby-trap devices and other items.

Maj. Decatur said Mr. Dorries no longer lived at the home because of an April incident involving an assault on a family member.

More charges are expected. Mr. Dorries is being held without bond at the Rappahannock Regional Jail.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide