- The Washington Times - Sunday, May 20, 2007

PRINCETON, N.J. — Jeff Tambroni took the longest walk of his coaching career when he trudged from the locker room to the Princeton Stadium interview area after a quarterfinal loss two years ago.

Thanks to Max Seibald’s gritty play and John Glynn’s game-winning goal, the same stroll was far more enjoyable for the Cornell coach yesterday.

Glynn scored off a feed from Eric Pittard with 4.8 seconds left in overtime, sending the fourth-seeded Big Red to a 12-11 victory over No. 5 Albany and a trip to their first final four since 1988.

David Mitchell scored four goals, and Pittard added two goals and five assists for Cornell (15-0), which will meet Duke or North Carolina in the semifinals Saturday in Baltimore.

“It’s definitely great for the program,” Pittard said. “It’s been 20 years since we’ve been back to the final four. … We executed what we needed to. At times, it wasn’t the prettiest lacrosse, but in the end it was a win.”

Brett Queener made 14 saves for the Great Danes (15-3), who fell a game short of their first final four.

Seibald’s play was especially significant for the Big Red. The sophomore Tewaaraton Trophy finalist suffered a left foot injury in the first round, and there were ceaseless questions about his availability throughout the week — so much so that Seibald admitted he quickly grew weary of them.

He authored a superb all-around performance, scoring two goals and adding two assists to help Cornell eliminate an early 3-0 deficit — its first three-goal hole of the season. Seibald also stabilized the Big Red’s faceoff situation, going 6-for-13 to ignite a tight offense.

His most significant play came in overtime, when he chased down Albany’s Tyler Endres from behind with 22 seconds left and poked Endres’ stick to force a turnover. Glynn then brought it downfield and slipped it to Pittard, who found Glynn from behind the cage for the winner.

“I was screaming, ‘Let’s go, let’s go, 10 seconds,’ ” Glynn said. “I just got through, my guy slipped and the rest is history.”

Cornell took an 11-9 lead with 8:40 left, but Merrick Thomson converted on a rebound minutes later to slash the deficit in half. Albany’s Jordan Levine beat goalie Matt McMonagle (12 saves) with 17.8 seconds left to send it to overtime.

“That’s the way the game’s meant to be played, folks — up and down the field, fast breaks, no slowing down, no holding onto the ball …,” Albany coach Scott Marr said. “All week we said we’re playing our twin, and it played just like I thought it would.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide