- The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 22, 2007


Walk-by shootings wound four teens

A walk-by gunman wounded four teenagers Sunday night on a playground in Northeast.

Police were called at 8:22 p.m. to the 500 block of Edgewood Street, a few blocks north of Rhode Island Avenue, Lt. David Taylor said.

Bullets grazed the back of a 15-year-old boy and the arm of a girl, pierced the leg of a young man and slightly injured another youth. Three victims ran about two blocks to Sixth and Evarts streets. None was seriously hurt or hospitalized.

Several drive-by shootings have occurred lately, enabling police to search for vehicles by color and design. This time, police had only a vague description of the shooter.

Stabbing victim remains hospitalized

A critically injured woman told police yesterday that she was mystified when a man slashed and stabbed her early Sunday.

“She gave us an account of what happened,” said Capt. C.V. Morris, of the Metropolitan Police Department’s Violent Crimes and Homicide Branch. “Everything was fine until about 4 a.m. when he attacked her.”

Shung Lee of New York remains hospitalized for treatment of cut and stab wounds to her neck and upper body.

The suspect, Koh Chong, 26, also remains hospitalized with similar wounds thought to be self-inflicted. He is charged with assault with intent to kill, and kidnapping while armed. Capt. Morris said Mr. Chong will be jailed when released from the hospital.

Miss Lee called police at 6:35 a.m. Sunday from a fifth-floor apartment at 1234 Massachusetts Ave. NW, although police said she was bound with duct tape when they found her. She was transported to a hospital and taken immediately into surgery.

Police searched the entire 10-story building. They found more blood and Mr. Chong in a restroom on the top floor.



Boater finds body near Bay Bridge

A recreational boater found a body in the water about a mile north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on Sunday, Maryland Natural Resources Police said.

The boater radioed the Coast Guard after finding the body, said Sgt. Kenneth B. Turner, a spokesman for the Natural Resources Police. The Coast Guard alerted the police agency at 11:23 a.m.

The body was transported to the Baltimore medical exam-iner’s office, Sgt. Turner said.

The victim has not been identified, and Sgt. Turner would not say whether the victim was male or female.

There were reports in March of someone seen jumping from the bridge, but no body was found. The Maryland Transportation Authority investigates such incidents.


Agreement reached on youth justice center

The Justice Department and the state of Maryland have reached an agreement to address civil rights concerns at the Baltimore Juvenile Justice Center, months after federal investigators discovered staffing shortages and inadequate behavior-management plans.

The state Department of Juvenile Services and the Justice Department scheduled a press conference for today to announce the settlement, said Beth Blauer, a spokeswoman for the state agency.

The report also criticized the state-run center because the assault rate was 47 percent higher than the national average for such facilities. It also criticized the facility for failing to adequately protect youths against suicide and for shortcomings in providing adequate mental health treatment and other services.

The report was based on findings from inspections in fall of 2005.


City gets tougher on overgrown weeds

The city of Salisbury has issued 127 letters to people whom they think have violated a tougher “weeds and obnoxious growth” ordinance.

Salisbury recently amended its weeds ordinance to cut down on overgrowth, which can be a fire and health hazard. The new rule caps growth at 8 inches, down from 10 inches.

Recently, the Department of Neighborhood Services and Code Compliance appropriated $9,000 so it could cut grasses and bill property owners for the mowing.

The first corrective-action letter issued in a calendar year gives property owners 10 days to correct the violation, but on the 11th day, the city has the right to contract out the job of mowing the grass and tell the owner to pay for it.


Speed-camera fines slated for school safety

Fines collected from Montgomery County’s new speed cameras will go to improving pedestrian safety at public schools.

County Executive Isiah “Ike” Leggett and other officials announced yesterday that the first $25,000 in fines each year will go to school safety programs. Some of the money will go toward educating students about pedestrian and vehicle safety, Mr. Leggett said.

Mr. Leggett said that it was unfortunate that the money will continue to roll in from these fines because it is a sign that people are ignoring the warnings and still speeding.

The announcement comes after two bad accidents in Germantown over the weekend.

A 13-year old was killed Saturday afternoon when he got off a bus on Route 118 and ran across the road, and three teenagers were seriously hurt earlier in the day when their car jumped a curb and smashed into a tree.


3 hurt in shootings that may be related

Three men were wounded in weekend shootings that the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office thinks are related.

Deputy 1st Class Jose Rivera was on patrol about 11:40 p.m. Saturday when he noticed a crowd of about 200 outside the Discovery Community Center.

There he found a male lying on the ground with a gunshot wound to the head, Cpl. Jennifer Bailey said.

The victim was flown to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

About 11:55 p.m., two other men arrived at Frederick Memorial Hospital with gunshot wounds, police said. The victims’ names and conditions were not released.

Lawrence Holmes, who organizes a youth group at the center, said the people had crowded the area for what looked like a party.

Richard Kelly, who lives nearby, said he heard gunshots, then saw at least six young men fleeing in a light green car about 11:30 p.m.


Motorcycle accidents leave 1 man dead

One man was killed in the first of two motorcycle accidents Sunday night on the northbound Jones Falls Expressway, north of Guilford Avenue, the Baltimore Fire Department said.

Authorities said a man lost control of his bike, crashed into a jersey wall and was ejected. The bike burst into flames, and the man died at the scene.

Moments later, a motorcyclist traveling behind him lost control of his bike as he came upon traffic stopped at the crash scene. He was not hurt.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide