- The Washington Times - Saturday, May 26, 2007

Lamont and Anthony Peterson both scored technical knockouts to remain undefeated last night, making a triumphant hometown return in an ESPN2 show at the D.C. Armory.

Lamont Peterson, competing in the 140-pound division, stopped veteran John Brown in the eighth round. Meanwhile, his brother Anthony Peterson (135 pounds) finished off Luis Ernesto Jose in nine rounds.

Throughout the fight, Lamont Peterson (21-0, nine knockouts) kept the pressure on Brown (23-13-1, 11 knockouts). He landed right hands repeatedly to Brown’s head and body. But Brown landed his own tough body shots and the occasional right hand, stopping Peterson from coming forward.

Referee Kenny Chevalier stopped the fight at 26 seconds in the eighth round when Peterson backed Brown up against the ropes and landed a series of hard shots that went unanswered.

“I feel good about putting on a performance in front of the hometown crowd, but it was not what I thought it would be,” he said. “It could have been better, but in the end I got the job done, and I got the victory.”

In the other co-main event, Anthony Peterson (23-0, 17 knockouts) used a brutal left hook to pound on Jose (27-5-2, 24 knockouts) before Jose’s corner rushed up to the ring to ask referee Malik Waleed to stop the fight at 1:36 of the ninth round. The younger Peterson successfully defended his North American Boxing Organization junior welterweight title.

“We came home to put on a show tonight, and that is exactly what we did,” he said. “Our fans, our friends, the city showed out for us, and we showed out for them.”

When asked about what his next fight may be, Anthony Peterson said, “I will fight anybody out there next. I am not ducking anybody, including Floyd. If he wants some, he can get some, too.”

Floyd Mayweather Jr. was at the show last night, just three weeks after his defeat of Oscar De La Hoya in the junior middleweight division.

In a super middleweight contest, Reginald Taylor (6-0, four knockouts) remained undefeated when he stopped John Owens (3-4, two knockouts) at 1:26 of the second round. Taylor had administered a severe beating to Owens, putting him on the canvas twice in the first round and once in the second before the fight was stopped.

Promoters said the crowd was 3,876.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide