- The Washington Times - Sunday, May 27, 2007



Two men stabbed in fight on street

Three men were assaulted — two of them stabbed — during an altercation early yesterday morning, Frederick police said.

Two groups of people walking in the 100 block of North Market Street got into a verbal argument about 1:15 a.m. Police said it turned physical when a man from one group hit a man from the second group in the face and then stabbed two others with an unknown object before running off.

One man received a deep wound to his right leg, and the other received a minor stab wound to the upper left arm. All three injured men were taken to Frederick Memorial Hospital where they were treated and released.

Anyone with information about the suspect is asked to call Detective Jay Levine at 301/600-1238.


DUI suspected in fatal crash

A suspected drunken driver was critically injured and his passenger killed in a crash Saturday night in Wicomico County that injured six other persons, state police said.

A trooper tried to pull over a Pontiac Sunfire GT that was driving erratically about 8:15 p.m. at the intersection of Route 13 and Hayward Avenue. Instead, the driver took off at speeds of more than 100 mph and hit two cars, sending both off the road and overturning one, police said.

The passenger in the Pontiac was pronounced dead at the scene, but police have not been able to identify him. The driver told troopers that he did not know the man.

Six persons in the other two vehicles also were taken to Peninsula Regional Medical Center, where they were treated and released.

Police think the driver, who gave police several names and was carrying no identification, was under the influence of alcohol and is in the country illegally. He remains under police guard at the hospital.


Police using Taser kill man at house

An officer used a Taser on a man, killing him after the man became combative Saturday afternoon, county police said.

Prince George’s County police were called to a domestic dispute in the 6800 block of Greig Street at about 3:30 p.m.

The officers tried to take the suspect to the hospital on an emergency psychiatric petition. He became combative, however, and they used a Taser to subdue him.

Police say that the man died two hours later at a hospital. They did not release his name.

One officer involved in the incident was placed on routine administrative leave.


Prayers offered for house fire victims

An intense blaze in a row house claimed six lives Tuesday, and seven others are recovering from their injuries.

At the Ark Church yesterday, there were songs and prayers for the survivors and those who died.

Among the survivors are a 43-year-old woman who was burned over 40 percent of her body, a 27-year-old man who went into cardiac arrest and later regained his pulse, a 4-year-old girl who jumped and was burned, and a 3-year-old girl who suffered burns and smoke inhalation.

The Rev. J.L. Carter said of the survivors that once they get through their physical healing, they will need spiritual healing, too.

Mr. Carter and his church are among the groups helping to support the victims’ family members, both spiritually and financially.



Bodies of two men found in car’s trunk

The bodies of two Richmond men were found in the trunk of a car last week.

Sheriff Tony Lippa identified the men as Willie D. Smith, 22, and Jamal Nasir, 23.

Mr. Nasir owned the Lexus that was found parked in a private driveway between Carmel Church and Bowling Green about 7 p.m. Thursday. The resident of the home called authorities, who found the bodies.

There was no sign of forced entry to the car or the nearby home, Sheriff Lippa said. It was not clear whether the killings occurred in Caroline County or elsewhere. Sheriff Lippa said he was waiting for the state medical examiner’s office to provide information about the cause of the deaths.

The sheriff said the men had not been shot, but there was some blood in the trunk. Caroline and Richmond police detectives are working together on the investigation.


Memorial trees being replaced

Several trees planted decades ago in memory of those from the community killed in World War I are being replaced after years of storm damage and disease.

The Kiwanis Club planted 41 elm trees along two avenues on the fourth anniversary of Armistice Day in 1922 in honor of the men who were either killed in combat or died from wounds or disease during their enlistment.

After an elm disease devastated the original batch, willow oaks were replanted in their place around 1929, said Richard Drazenovich, director of the Danville Public Works.

Since then, 16 trees have been either uprooted by storm damage — including one that crushed a minivan in January 2006 — or succumbed to disease and root damage.

Public Works began a few weeks ago cutting down five diseased trees, and in the fall when the trees go dormant, the agency will replace all 16 with large pin oaks, Mr. Drazenovich said.

He said the remaining trees will be assessed annually to see whether they need to be replaced.

The Kiwanis put up bronze plaques in front of each tree, but some are missing, covered up by roots or damaged by weather and other tests of time. The remaining plaques will be put back onto the curbs.

“The new trees will be a more fitting memorial,” said Kerry MacFarland, who added that the trees were one of the reasons she bought her house along Mount Vernon Avenue.

She soon realized the trees needed to be replaced.

“We will miss the trees, but they have reached the end of their lives,” she said. “It’s a beautiful memorial, but it’s time for them to be replaced with healthy trees.”


Jamestown events draw 63,000 visitors

The three-day commemoration of Jamestown’s 400th anniversary drew about 63,000 visitors.

Organizers had planned for 90,000 when they put together a transportation system to shuttle visitors from satellite parking areas to the anniversary events May 11 to 13.

Kevin Crossett, a spokesman for Jamestown 2007, said a crowd of 63,000 was about right considering the challenges organizers faced. He said the transportation system worked well and folks had a good time.

Jamestown 2007, the state-run agency that planned the commemoration, also announced that a one-hour television program highlighting the Anniversary Weekend events will be shown in more than 60 markets across the nation through July 8.


Thunderstorm knocks out power

A fast-moving severe thunderstorm hit the area before dusk last night, leaving thousands of people without power.

The worst was in Northern Virginia, where Dominion Virginia Power reported 25,000 of its customers have no electrical service.

Potomac Electric Power had about 5,000 in the dark, mostly in Montgomery County.

And Baltimore Gas and Electric said that about 14,000 of its Maryland customers were without power.

The National Weather Service had issued a severe thunderstorm warning, expecting hail the size of pennies and wind gusts of 60 mph.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide