- The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 29, 2007


Club remains closed after fatal shooting

A nightclub on the District’s Southwest waterfront remains closed while police investigate a fatal shooting.

Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier used her emergency powers to close down the H2O nightclub after the shooting early Saturday.

Nelson Able, 39, was killed about a block from the club on Water Street, police say. A D.C. police officer shot and wounded Rashod Holmes, 26, who has been charged with second-degree murder.

Investigators said the two men were arguing inside the club, and the shooting happened after they were thrown out.

The club will remain closed through tomorrow. This is the third time this year Chief Lanier has used her powers to temporarily close a club.



Many in Fairfax below self-sufficiency

A report shows that more than 100,000 residents live below the self-sufficiency standard in Fairfax County, one of the wealthiest counties in the nation.

According to the report, an estimated 115,000 residents in Fairfax, or 11.3 percent of its population, live below the 2005 self-sufficiency standard.

The Fairfax County Commu-nity Action Advisory Board compiled the data that shows many residents cannot pay for health insurance and struggle to find affordable housing.

Fairfax County has the second-highest median house-hold income in the United States, but it costs lower-income residents considerably to live in the county.

The report also revealed that requests for county assistance have been climbing. For example, demand for Department of Family Services programs has risen 70 percent since 2001, mostly for Medicaid and food stamps.


Teen killed in boat crash on lake

A teenager riding a personal watercraft was killed Sunday afternoon on a Loudoun County lake.

Officials at the sheriff’s office said the teen was riding a personal watercraft on a lake off Charles Town Pike, near Hillsboro. He was hit by a Byliner boat, occupied by an adult and a child.

The teen died at a hospital. The driver of the boat was being treated for serious injuries; the child’s injuries were not thought to be life-threatening.

The names of the victims were not released. The cause of the crash is under investigation.


Man tried to run over deputy, police say

A Sterling, Va., man has been charged with trying to run over a Loudoun County deputy sheriff with his car.

Shortly before 10:30 p.m. Sat-urday, the deputy was on bicycle patrol near Cottage Road.

Police said the deputy saw a suspicious vehicle and confronted the driver, who put the car in gear and began to drive away. Police said the driver then cut the wheels and tried to run over the deputy, who jumped off his bike to get out of the way.

Police said the driver ignored orders to stop and drove away.

About an hour later, police arrested Lucas Wooden, 26, on charges of felony assault on a police officer. He was released after posting bail.


Two weekend crashes kill seven persons

Seven persons — including four members of a Georgia family — were killed in two traffic accidents in the Roanoke area this holiday weekend.

State police identified the four persons killed early yesterday morning as Blanca Castillo, 50; Gabriel Castillo, 51; Gamil Castillo, 31; and Javier Castillo, 10, all of Dalton, Ga.

They were among nine persons in a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban that apparently swerved to miss a deer on Interstate 81, left the highway and overturned. The driver and two passengers were taken to hospitals, and two other passengers were not hurt.

Police said the victims were not wearing seat belts.

A day earlier, a head-on collision in Bedford County claimed the lives of Justin Brooks, 18, of Salem; Josh Serreno, 25, of Vinton; and Jason Frank Higgins, 68, of Vinton.

Mr. Serreno was driving a Mustang that crossed the center line of Nemmo Road and collided with a Dodge pickup. Mr. Brooks was a passenger in the Mustang, and Mr. Higgins was riding in the truck.

A 17-year-old Salem girl who was riding in the Mustang and Calvin Thomason, 50, a Vinton resident who was driving the pickup, were hospitalized.



Firefighters injured in town house fire

Two firefighters were injured yesterday battling a fire that damaged two town houses.

A propane grill on a deck started the fire about 1 p.m., a fire department official said. It spread to the house next door in the 5000 block of Kemsley Court.

Neither home is habitable.

One firefighter was hurt by falling debris and another had heat-related problems, the official said.


Pilot of capsized boat had abandoned ship

The man piloting a small sailboat found capsized in the Magothy River was found safe, the Department of Natural Resources said.

Sgt. Ken Turner said the man told officials he had trouble with the boat after a storm blew up Sunday night and decided to abandon ship.

The Coast Guard found the 17-foot sailboat near Dobbin Island overturned with the sail out. It had no registration markings.

Sgt. Turner said officials are still investigating. It is not clear what kind of trouble the man was having when he decided to go to shore.


Former Oak Hill chief on trial for assault

The former security chief at the District’s Oak Hill Juvenile Detention Center in Laurel is scheduled to go on trial this week on charges of assaulting a teen who lived in a nearby neighborhood while searching for three escapees.

Henry C. Davis, 45, of Forestville, is charged with second-degree assault and reckless endangerment in the January 2006 incident.

Mr. Davis and two other guards were looking for teens who escaped from the juvenile-detention center when they spotted Julian Jeanty, 17, of Russet, walking to a Citgo on Laurel-Fort Meade Road to buy some chips, according to court documents.

“The officers grabbed him, threw him on the ground and began to strike him with walkie-talkies,” charging documents say. Julian told investigators they stomped on his back and ribs and handcuffed him.

When the guards, who have no authority off Oak Hill property, noticed they had the wrong person, they took off the handcuffs, “and one of the officers patted him on the head and told him to go home,” Anne Arundel County Police Detective Matthew Evans said in his statement.

The three escapees were found on Laurel-Fort Meade Road two hours after the guards’ encounter with Julian.

Mr. Davis told police that no one used excessive force, and he didn’t know how Julian sustained his injuries.

Police did not seek charges for more than 10 months and did not publicize the charges at that time.

The other two guards, Tyrone Bryant and Marvin James, still work at Oak Hill, but have given few details to police. Mr. James said he saw Julian placed in handcuffs, but denied ever touching him.

Mr. Davis no longer works at Oak Hill but was rehired by the District’s juvenile system.

Prosecutors and officials from the D.C. Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services declined comment.

Built in 1967, Oak Hill is a maximum-security facility for offenders 14 to 21 years old.


Two young boys rob pool employee

Two boys stole money from a city pool employee about 6 p.m. Sunday, Frederick police said.

An employee at the pool in Baker Park told officers she was counting money when the boys — who looked like they were about 12 or 13 years old — grabbed the money and ran west on Fleming Avenue.

Officers searched the area but were unable to find the boys.

Anyone with information should call the Frederick Police Department at 301/600-2102.


Motorcyclist killed on northbound I-270

A motorcycle rider was killed yesterday in a single-vehicle crash on Interstate 270.

The accident happened at about 5 p.m. in the northbound lanes between Falls Road and Route 28. The biker, who was about 60 years old, died at a hospital, Montgomery County fire department officials said.

Fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said the crash happened on a stretch of uneven pavement.

It was the second motorcycle accident on that stretch of I-270 in as many days. Another biker was seriously injured Sunday while riding southbound.


Robbers pour gasoline on CVS manager

Police are looking for two robbers who poured gasoline on a CVS store manager after forcing him to open the safe.

Police said the robbers surprised the store manager as he was opening the doors of the store in Riverdale Park at about 7:45 a.m. yesterday. At least one of the men was armed with a handgun.

It was not known how much money was stolen, but police said the safe contained receipts from Saturday and Sunday.

Police said the manager was not set on fire or seriously hurt. Police said the robbers probably poured the gasoline on him to scare him.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide