- The Washington Times - Wednesday, May 30, 2007



Death-row inmate on trial for murder

Jury selection began yesterday in the death penalty trial of a man charged with killing two George Washington University students in 1988.

Alfredo Prieto, 41, was on death row in California’s San Quentin prison when DNA evidence linked him to the murders of students Rachael Raver and Warren Fulton.

Authorities said the students were abducted from an alley outside a D.C. bar and taken to Reston, where Miss Raver was raped and both were killed.

If convicted, Prieto’s attorneys said they would argue that he is mentally retarded and ineligible for execution.

DNA evidence also linked Prieto to the 1988 rape and murder of a woman in Arlington County.


Bank robbery suspect arrested after chase

A bank robbery suspect was in custody last night after a chase through Arlington into the District.

Arlington police said the man held up a United Bank on Ninth Street yesterday morning. An officer gave chase as the man drove off across the 14th Street Bridge, reportedly throwing cash and a weapon out the window into the Potomac River.

The suspect crashed his car near the Capitol, where he was arrested by U.S. Capitol Police.

D.C. Harbor Police divers were searching the river for the money and weapon.


Illegal aliens jailed on drug charges

Police said three illegal aliens are in jail after an investigation into a cocaine trafficking operation.

Moises Rosalio-Ortega, 31, is charged with possession with intent to distribute cocaine and transportation of cocaine into Virginia.

Fredericksburg and Stafford police raided his Stafford home Saturday and met resistance from two men who were also there.

Police said Mr. Rosalio-Ortega was bringing large amounts of powdered cocaine into the area from North Carolina. The cocaine had a street value of $100,000.

Juan Carlos Morales, 36, is charged with obstruction of justice and assault and battery on a law-enforcement officer. Gustavo Sandoval Rojas, 19, is charged with obstruction of justice.

All three were being held without bail in the Rappahannock Regional Jail.



Woman wounded by sword; son held

A man attacked his 51-year-old mother with a samurai-style sword yesterday, nearly amputating one of her arms, police said.

The man called police shortly after 10 a.m., saying he was suicidal, and asked police to meet him, said Cpl. Debbi Carlson, a Prince George’s County police spokeswoman.

He gave no indication he had hurt anyone when police and firefighters met him a few minutes later and took him to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, said Mark Brady, a county fire spokesman.

The mother called police from the same address on Gorman Avenue at about 10:30 a.m. to report that her son had attacked her and run off. “The officers and dispatchers put two and two together,” Cpl. Carlson said.

The woman was taken to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Police did not release either person’s name.

It was not clear whether the attack happened before the man called police or between the phone call and the time he was taken into custody, Cpl. Carlson said.

Charges against the son will be determined after the psychiatric evaluation is complete, Mr. Brady said.


Vandalized buses cause school delays

Three county school bus lots were broken into and buses were vandalized overnight, causing major delays for student pickups yesterday morning, Anne Arundel County school officials said.

About 30 buses were damaged.

Officials said there will be no bus service in some areas and major delays in others.

South River, Annapolis and Broadneck were expected to sustain the greatest impact.


Police arrest man in killing, failed suicide

Baltimore County police arrested a man who they said killed a woman found Monday at a house on Riverthorn Road.

Police said Jerry Banks, 28, is charged with strangling Shukura Akilah Abdullah Alleem, 21, after an argument early Monday morning.

Mr. Banks was denied bail and was being held at Franklin Square Hospital. Police said he will be committed to a state hospital.

Police said Mr. Banks led them to Miss Alleem’s body. Police said he approached an officer about 9:30 a.m. Monday near a shopping center and told him that he had killed someone and had tried to kill himself. Mr. Banks was taken to Franklin Square Hospital.


Trooper punched, disarmed in cruiser

A trooper was disarmed and just missed being shot by a man he had picked up along Interstate 68 while driving his squad car home from work, state police said.

Police said Jeffrey Burns, 25, of Elwood City, Pa., rode peacefully in the passenger seat for about six miles early Sunday morning and then started punching Trooper Christopher Toey in the face and grabbed his pistol.

During the ensuing struggle, officials say Mr. Burns fired the weapon into the seat next to Trooper Toey’s leg.

Trooper Toey then drove onto the highway shoulder, where Mr. Burns got out and ran into a wooded area. Trooper Toey and another trooper found him and took him into custody.

Mr. Burns remained at the Allegany County jail yesterday with bail set at $500,000. He is charged with first- and second-degree assault and attempting to disarm an officer.


Man, 18, found dead in the road

A young man was found dead in the road near his home, the victim of an apparent hit-and-run accident.

A driver discovered the body of Bret Wesley Carr, 18, at about 5 a.m. Sunday.

Police said they had no suspects.

Mr. Carr’s mother, Mai Anh Carr, said her son was walking to a friend’s house at about 3:30 a.m.

“They had gotten into an argument over something about cigarettes,” she said. “He had no cell phone, no car, no nothing. He was alone.”

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide