- The Washington Times - Monday, September 10, 2007


Man saws through his leg

MALVERN — A man under house arrest on rape and child exploitation charges sawed into his leg bone, then called for help, authorities said.

Jerry Scholes cut through his right calf and into the bone before he dialed 911 and paramedics took him to a hospital, where he remained Friday, police said.

He had been wearing an electronic monitor on that ankle, but prosecutor Richard Garrett said he thought the sawing was an attempt by Mr. Scholes to show that he was incompetent for trial and not an effort to remove the monitor.

Mr. Scholes was to have gone to trial Thursday on three counts of rape and one count of engaging children in explicit video or print. Instead, he was expected to plead guilty Friday to the explicit material charge and one rape count, charges that carry a combined sentence of up to 50 years in prison.

Mr. Garrett said Mr. Scholes was still wearing the electronic monitor. “My understanding is the probation department moved the monitor to his other leg.”


Employee jailed over salted burger

UNION CITY — A McDonald’s employee spent a night in jail and is facing criminal charges because a police officer’s burger was too salty, so salty that he says it made him sick.

Kendra Bull was arrested Friday, charged with misdemeanor reckless conduct and freed on $1,000 bail.

Miss Bull, 20, said she accidentally spilled salt on hamburger meat and told her supervisor and a co-worker, who “tried to thump the salt off.”

On her break, she ate a burger made with the salty meat.

“It didn’t make me sick,” Miss Bull told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. But then police Officer Wendell Adams got a burger made with the oversalted meat, and he returned a short time later and told the manager that it made him sick.

City public information officer George Louth said Miss Bull was charged because she served the burger “without regards to the well-being of anyone who might consume it.”


Tot tumbles out of repossessed car

AURORA — A repossession crew got a surprise when a 4-year-old boy leaped out of the sport utility vehicle they were towing away.

Fashawn Parker of Naperville was sitting in the back seat of a Ford Excursion that was parked outside of a house on Thursday when the repo crew approached, hooked the car to a tow truck and began driving away, Aurora police spokesman Dan Ferrelli said.

Fashawn opened the door and jumped out into a construction area, Mr. Ferrelli said. It was not known how fast the truck was going, Mr. Ferrelli said, but the truck was moving in slow traffic because of construction.

Fashawn was treated for minor injuries and released from a nearby hospital.

The tow truck stopped after a colleague in a separate car phoned the driver to tell him that someone had fallen out of the back seat of the SUV, Mr. Ferrelli said.

No charges were filed against the two men driving the repo truck, police said, adding that the men checked the back of the truck and did not see the boy inside.


Naturalists to visit Creation Museum

FRANKFORT — The chief state naturalist is planning a group field trip to the new Creation Museum because of a growing number of park visitors challenging naturalists with what they learned at the museum.

“Visitors are asking, ‘Well, it said this at the Creation Museum, but you all are saying something different,’ ” Carey Tichenor said.

The Creation Museum in Petersburg was built by the Answers in Genesis Christian ministry and presents the Bible’s creation story as fact supported by science.

“The theory of creationism is that the world is only 6,000 years old,” Mr. Tichenor said. Park naturalists interpret the geologic history based on science and talk about history that dates back millions of years, Mr. Tichenor said.

As many as 18 park naturalists are planning to visit the northern Kentucky museum on Nov. 1. Their goal is to better understand what visitors are asking, not to challenge religious beliefs, Mr. Tichenor said.

The Creation Museum, which opened in May, is welcoming the opportunity.


Pregnant woman fatally stabbed

NORTH BAY SHORE — A pregnant woman fatally stabbed another pregnant woman after a brawl at the homeless shelter where they were living, police said.

Shantelle Scruggs, 21, was arraigned Saturday on manslaughter charges in the killing of Barbara Santos, 26. Both women were eight months pregnant and lived at the Project ReDirect homeless shelter with about 20 other people. Attempts to save Miss Santos’ baby were not successful.

Police did not say why the two women were fighting Friday night.


Man shoots officers; kills 2, injures 1

ODESSA — Two police officers responding to a domestic disturbance were killed and a third was critically wounded by a gunman who led authorities on an hours-long standoff, authorities said.

Investigators said a woman leaving the home Saturday night told the responding officers that her husband had hit her. When the officers were unable to enter the house through the front door, they tried to go in the back door, where a man came out shooting at them, said Tela Mange, a Department of Public Safety spokeswoman.

The gunman went back into the house, where he held police in a four-hour standoff until he surrendered about 10 p.m., Miss Mange said.

The Texas Rangers are investigating the shooting deaths of Odessa Cpl. Arlie Jones, 48, and Cpl. John “Scott” Gardner, Miss Mange said. Cpl. Abel Marquez remained hospitalized in critical condition after being shot in the face, Miss Mange said.

Larry White, 58, who was shot in the abdomen and was in stable condition at a hospital under police guard, likely will face two counts of capital murder and attempted murder of an officer, Miss Mange said. It was not clear who shot Mr. White.


Hundreds attend memorial for miners

HUNTINGTON — Hundreds came to an interfaith service yesterday in the heart of Utah’s coal country to say a public goodbye to six miners who were entombed in a mine after an earthshaking collapse.

Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr., a Republican, said he hoped the memorial service would allow the families, who spent almost a month hoping the rescue efforts would turn up some sign of the missing men, to begin the process of healing.

Kerry Allred, Don Erickson, Luis Hernandez, Carlos Payan, Brandon Phillips and Manuel Sanchez were working more than 1,500 feet underground in the early morning hours of Aug. 6 when there was a collapse so powerful it registered magnitude 3.9.

For nearly four weeks, crews from Cleveland-based Murray Energy Corp., a co-owner of the mine, searched for the miners. The search was officially called off on Aug. 31.

Rep. Jim Matheson, a Democrat, told the crowd that he was still hopeful that someday the bodies could be recovered.

“We cannot bring them back, but we can at least bring them home,” Mr. Matheson said.


Tribe condemns shooting of whale

NEAH BAY — The Makah Tribal Council yesterday denounced the killing of a California gray whale that was harpooned and shot several times off Washington’s coast, calling it “a blatant violation of our law” and promising to prosecute those responsible.

But one of the men suspected in the killing said yesterday that he was “feeling kind of proud” and that whaling is “in the blood.”

“We are a law-abiding people, and we will not tolerate lawless conduct by any of our members,” the council said.

The U.S. Coast Guard detained five men thought to have killed the whale on Saturday, then turned them over to tribal police for further questioning.

The council said the men, whose names it did not release, were booked into the tribe’s detention facility and released after posting bail. The council said the men will stand trial in tribal court but did not set a date.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide