- The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 19, 2007



Former college chief pleads guilty to DUI

The former president of the University of Mary Washington was convicted yesterday of driving under the influence.

William Frawley entered an Alford plea, which means he did not admit guilt but acknowledges sufficient evidence exists for a conviction.

He will pay $500 plus court costs, lose his driver’s license for a year and he must attend alcohol-abuse sessions.

He is scheduled to appear Friday in Fairfax County General District Court for another DUI charge.

The university’s governing board fired Mr. Frawley on April 30 after he was charged with drunken driving for separate incidents on consecutive days in Fairfax County and Fredericksburg.

According to a police report, Mr. Frawley told authorities he consumed six bottles of cough medicine on the day of his arrest in Fredericksburg.


Preschoolers caught in driving shootout

A bus carrying 14 preschoolers got caught in a rolling shootout Monday.

No one on the bus was injured in the incident Monday afternoon that left a bullet hole in the city school bus, just below the driver’s door.

Richmond school system spokeswoman Felicia Cosby said driver Arlene Smyre told the children to get down and maneuvered the bus through crossfire at an intersection where people in two cars were shooting at each other.

The children on the bus were 3 and 4 years old.

Police think a man who showed up at a Richmond hospital with a gunshot wound was involved in the shootout.


Fumes on campus send 4 to hospital

Fumes sent four persons to the hospital yesterday and led the College of William & Mary to evacuate the Campus Center building.

The fumes came from a mixture of cleaning products being used in a kitchen, school spokesman Brian Whitson said.

Mr. Whitson said four food-service employees complained of nausea and respiratory problems and were taken to a hospital.

About 50 to 60 people were in the building when the fumes were detected at 9:30 a.m. The building was closed and reopened two hours later after being ventilated and tested.



Charges dismissed in inmate’s death

A federal judge dismissed charges against seven of 14 Maryland prison employees accused of wrongfully causing an inmate’s death in 2004.

The U.S. District Court’s ruling leaves wrongful-death claims intact against the seven remaining defendants, but it narrows the number of other issues for a jury to decide.

The lawsuit was filed by the family of Ifeanyi Iko, a Nigerian immigrant who died after he was doused with pepper spray while wearing a cloth “spit mask” during a cell extraction at the Western Correctional Institution near Cumberland.

An autopsy concluded Iko died of asphyxiation, but the defense contends he had a heart attack.

Iko was serving time for drug distribution and attacking a correctional officer.


Driver in I-70 chase found in stolen car

A man who led a trooper on a high-speed chase along Interstate 70 on Monday and then stole another car to make his getaway, was arrested yesterday, state police said.

Prince George’s County police found Deron McDonald, 45, of Upper Marlboro, sleeping in the stolen car in the parking lot of a Home Depot.

Police said Mr. McDonald was speeding Monday afternoon and refused to pull over. The trooper followed him for more than six miles, at speeds up to 120 miles per hour, until Mr. McDonald drove onto a median near Clear Spring and fled on foot.

About 2 p.m., a vehicle was reported stolen in the area. Mr. McDonald was found in the same car yesterday afternoon. Police had found an identification card with Mr. McDonald’s name on it in the first car.

Police expect to charge Mr. McDonald with auto theft, fleeing and eluding police and other related charges. He has open warrants in other jurisdictions, they said.


Man pleads guilty in crash that killed 2

An illegal alien pleaded guilty yesterday to causing a crash that killed a Marine and his date near Columbia on Thanksgiving last year.

Eduardo Raul Morales-Soriano’s blood-alcohol level was four times the legal limit at the time of the crash at the intersection of Routes 175 and 108, police said.

Morales-Soriano, 26, pleaded guilty in Howard County Circuit Court to two counts of negligent manslaughter in the crash that killed Marine Cpl. Brian Mathews, 21, and Jennifer Bower, 24.

He faces up to eight years in prison at sentencing in November.

Prosecutors think Morales-Soriano came here illegally from Mexico and expect him to be deported after he serves his sentence.


Officer hurt in crash during chase

A Baltimore police officer was injured in a crash during a pursuit late Monday night, police said.

Police said the officer suspected the driver of a black Acura on West Baltimore Street was involved in drug activity and chased him in his cruiser.

The car struck other vehicles, then hit the cruiser, then sped away.

The officer was treated at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore for back injuries.


Missing boys found, father arrested

Two young boys reported abducted from their mother were found unharmed in Baltimore, and their father was taken into custody.

A Baltimore police spokeswoman said the boys were found at about 8 a.m. yesterday in the first block of North Carrollton Avenue.

Baltimore County police think Rashae Clansy, 25, drove the children to Baltimore after assaulting their mother in Dundalk.

The boys were identified as Nehemiah Clansy, 2, and Malachi Clansy, 1.

They were taken Monday evening near Meadow Avenue and Mornington Road.


Woman, 79, sickened by tainted water

A 79-year-old woman apparently was poisoned when she drank what she thought was bottled water, the Queen Anne’s County Sheriff’s Office said.

The woman became ill last Wednesday. She had trouble breathing, and paramedics found her with burned and swelling lips. Family members said the bottled water had a chemical odor.

The bottle was turned over to investigators.

The woman remains hospitalized in stable condition.

The sheriff’s office said the poisoning appears to be an isolated incident. The bottle and other containers from the home were sent to the FBI for testing.


Police investigate student shooting

Police are investigating the shooting death of a student at Morgan State University,

University spokesman Clinton Coleman said the 24-year-old registered for classes this fall. He also had been a student at the school in 2002 and 2003.

Police said the man was shot several times at about 11 a.m. Monday near the Marble Hall Gardens apartment complex. The complex is at Cold Spring Lane and Loch Raven Boulevard near the campus.

Mr. Coleman said the university is not releasing the victim’s identity until his family is contacted.


Man guilty of killing in botched robbery

A Laurel man was found guilty in the shooting of a 7-Eleven clerk in Odenton during a botched robbery.

A jury Monday convicted Brandon Thomas, 22, of attempted second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, attempted robbery and use of a handgun during a violent crime in the March 2006 shooting.

Thomas’ defense attorneys said there was no real police investigation done. They said police never analyzed Thomas’ gloves to see whether they contained gunshot residue and police did not compare Thomas’ tire tread to tracks found at the scene.

His attorneys said they may appeal on the grounds that a search of Thomas’ car was illegal.

Thomas will be sentenced Nov. 27.


Water break closes court buildings

D.C. court buildings were closed all day yesterday because of a water-main break.

D.C. Superior Court, U.S. District Court and court buildings A and B and court offices in Gallery Place were closed.

The courts are scheduled to reopen today, when they are expected to double up on case loads.


Alibi falls apart in shooting

A Delaware man charged in the firing of a shotgun blast at his estranged wife’s sister’s house had a perfect alibi, until his accomplice admitted the scheme to police.

Joseph Thomas, 32, is accused of having a 12-year-old boy fire the shot Aug. 3, while Mr. Thomas and James Zerzeles, 26, went to Midway Slots in Harrington, Del., where their images would be captured by security cameras.

State police said Mr. Zerzeles told investigators about the plot.

Mr. Thomas and Mr. Zerzeles were arrested Aug. 13 in Delaware. Both face charges of reckless endangerment and conspiracy and a firearm offense. The boy also was arrested.

Thomas faces additional charges in a drug arrest Sept. 14 on the Delaware side of the Maryland line.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide