- The Washington Times - Saturday, September 22, 2007


FBI to investigate teenager’s shooting

The FBI is taking the lead in an investigation into the death of a 14-year-old boy shot by an off-duty Metropolitan Police officer.

Officers James Haskel and Anthony Clay were searching for a minibike that Officer Haskel thought was stolen Monday from his home. They found DeOnte Rawlings riding the minibike, a kind of small motorcycle.

Police said the teenager began shooting at the officers, who were not in uniform, and that Officer Haskel returned fire, striking DeOnte in the head.

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said yesterday the FBI is reviewing evidence in the case.

Chief Lanier said the FBI’s involvement ensures the investigation will be “entirely independent.” The U.S. attorney’s office will oversee the investigation, which will be led by the FBI and assisted by D.C. police.

Cheetah euthanized at National Zoo

Veterinarians at the National Zoo euthanized an 8-year-old male cheetah because of a rapid decline in the animal’s health.

The cheetah, named Ume, came to the zoo in 2004 from a conservation center in Florida and had survived a lightning strike that killed his sibling. He was brought to the zoo to breed, and sired a litter of five cubs in 2005 — the second litter of cheetahs ever born at the zoo.

Ume had a history of health problems, and zoo staff noticed a significant decline in the animal’s appetite and weight over the past several months. Veterinarians found he had a form of gastritis that is common in cheetahs, but they could not determine the cause of his illness.

Officials made the decision to euthanize Ume after an examination Wednesday. Three male cheetahs and two females remain at the zoo.



Frawley convicted of second DUI

Ousted University of Mary Washington President William J. Frawley was convicted yesterday of driving under the influence — his second conviction this week.

Mr. Frawley, 54, entered Alford pleas in both cases, which means he did not admit guilt but acknowledged sufficient evidence exists for conviction.

A Fairfax County judge gave Mr. Frawley a suspended 30-day jail sentence, ordered him to pay $300 of a $1,000 fine and revoked his driver’s license for a year, all on condition that Mr. Frawley stays out of trouble during that time.

The judge also ordered Mr. Frawley to get substance abuse counseling, and defense attorney Peter D. Greenspun said Mr. Frawley is already receiving treatment.

In Fredericksburg on Tuesday, Mr. Frawley was ordered to pay $500 plus court costs, forfeit his license for a year and attend alcohol abuse sessions. He did not speak at either hearing.

Mr. Frawley, a former George Washington University dean, worked at Mary Washington for less than a year before the university’s governing board fired him on April 30 after he was charged with drunken driving.

He flipped his car in Fairfax on April 10 and left Inova Fairfax Hospital the next morning against medical advice, police said. Authorities issued a warrant charging him with driving under the influence.

Mr. Frawley was then arrested in Fredericksburg the next day after a witness reported seeing him driving a car without a right front tire and police attempted to pull him over. He did not stop until he reached his home, where he was arrested on suspicion of DUI and refusal to take a Breathalyzer test. Authorities dropped the breath-test refusal charge Tuesday.

A police report says the former university president told authorities he had consumed six bottles of cough medicine on the day of his arrest in Fredericksburg.



Woman convicted in prison drug plot

A Baltimore woman has been convicted for her role in a scheme to smuggle drugs into a state prison near Hagerstown.

Dawn Amig, 42, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to deliver contraband to the Roxbury Correctional Institution. She and another Baltimore woman, Theresa Ann Wilson, were charged in March after authorities found heroin and marijuana hidden in Wilson’s underwear during a prison visit.

The conviction carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison.


Man arrested in shotgun shooting

Police have arrested the second of two men who they say shot another man in the chest with a shotgun more than a week ago.

Police charged George Surgeon, 30, of Severn, Md., with first-degree assault, reckless endangerment and related offenses. He was arrested Thursday at about 2 p.m. without incident and is being held on bond.

Onaje Harris, 33, was arrested Wednesday at his home in the 700 block of Newtowne Drive — the same block where police said the two men shot a 24-year-old man in the chest on Sept. 9.

Police said the men also shot out a window of a home and got into an argument with other residents.


Board delays resort liquor license

The hotel at the center of the $2 billion National Harbor development project is facing obstacles in obtaining a license to serve alcohol — and it says that money is the issue.

The Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center applied for a license that would cost $2,750 annually. But the Prince George’s County Board of License Commissioners held up the license, and at a public hearing its chairman said a much larger annual payment would be more appropriate for the size of the project.

He suggested an annual payment ranging from $18,000 to $50,000, but attorneys for the $800 million resort say that if its eight restaurants and bars, 2,000 rooms and 10 acres of meeting space do not have a license by the time the hotel opens in April, it will have a devastating impact.

The Nashville, Tenn.-based resort chain also is saying its license is being held up so the county can wrest more money in license fees. County Executive Jack B. Johnson said he is “absolutely appalled” and “embarrassed” over the holdup, and that politicians should not be meddling with what should be routine approval.


Man hurt in jump from tractor-trailer

Anne Arundel County fire officials say a 42-year-old man was taken to the Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore after jumping off a moving tractor-trailer.

Officials said the man was waiting for a bus in Arnold, Md., around midnight when he became impatient. So fire department spokesman Lt. Shawn Jones said he climbed up a ladder on the back of a tractor-trailer and held on for a ride.

Officials said the driver took a right turn and the man jumped off. Lt. Jones said the man apparently jumped off because he didn’t want to go any further. He was treated at the scene and flown to Shock Trauma for more treatment.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide