- The Washington Times - Friday, September 28, 2007


Navy to alter ‘swastika’ barracks

LOS ANGELES — The Navy will spend $600,000 remodeling a set of barracks that resembles a swastika when viewed from above, officials said yesterday.

From ground level, the layout of the four L-shaped buildings at the Navy base outside San Diego is unremarkable. But with the increasing popularity of satellite imagery Web sites such as Google Earth, the barracks’ swastika formation has attracted wide attention.

Anti-Defamation League campaigners requested alterations, and the Navy agreed to remodeling that will “camouflage” the aerial appearance of the barracks, officials said.

“The Navy has budgeted $600,000 for work that will effectively camouflage the appearance of the barracks from above,” Navy spokeswoman Angelic Dolan told Agence France-Presse. “Exactly what shape that work will take has not yet been decided. It could be landscaping, it could be adding solar panels.”


Lawyer admits destroying evidence

BRIDGEPORT — A lawyer admitted yesterday that he destroyed a computer containing child pornography that was evidence in an investigation at a prominent church.

The lawyer, Philip Russell, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to one count of misprision of a felony, which means he had knowledge of a felony but didn’t report it. He faces up to 14 months in prison when he is sentenced in December.

Russell, a former attorney for the Christ Church in Greenwich, was accused of obstructing an FBI investigation that led to the January conviction of the church’s music director, Robert Tate, for possessing child pornography.

Former President George H.W. Bush attended the church while growing up, and funeral services for his parents were held there.


Lab technician fired for biting boy

INDIANAPOLIS — A laboratory technician was fired after the parents of a 3-year-old boy claimed she bit his shoulder during a blood test, a hospital spokesman said.

Faith Buntin took her son Victor to St. Vincent Hospital last Friday to have blood drawn because of recent recalls of toys involving lead. She said she saw the worker put her mouth onto Victor’s shoulder as she restrained him so another lab worker could draw the blood.

“I looked at her like that was the craziest thing that I’d ever seen,” Mrs. Buntin said Tuesday. “She looked at me and smiled and said, ‘Oh, it was just a play bite. He’s not hurt.’ ”

Mrs. Buntin said she saw teeth marks on the boy’s left shoulder after they went home, and her husband drove the child back to the hospital, where he was prescribed antibiotics.

St. Vincent is “reviewing the capabilities” of the employees of the subcontractor that does its blood work, hospital spokesman Johnny Smith said.


11 McDonalds hit in illegals raids

RENO Federal agents raided 11 McDonald’s restaurants in northern Nevada and made more than 40 arrests yesterday as part of an investigation into illegal aliens.

Agents for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement made the arrests in Reno, Sparks and Fernley after raids at the restaurants and a franchise corporate office in Reno, agency spokesman Richard Rocha said.

“They are people suspected of being in the country illegally. As far as I know, they were all McDonald’s employees,” he said.

Mr. Rocha declined to identify the franchise owner or owners, though he did say the investigation was specifically targeted and grew out of an identity-theft complaint. Further details are sealed in federal court documents, he said.

A spokeswoman for McDonald’s Corp. said the company had no comment. Hispanic leaders and representatives of the American Civil Liberties Union scheduled a press conference to respond to the arrests.


Toddler’s body found in field

ENCINO — The body of a missing 15-month-old boy was found in a field Wednesday, a day after his mother told authorities that she lost him when she fell asleep while stargazing.

Search and rescue crews found the body of Richy Willis-Brown near a highway junction in Torrance County in central New Mexico, said state police Lt. Rick Anglada.

Lt. Anglada said an autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death.

Deputies said the boy and his mother had been seen along U.S. 60 before dawn Tuesday. The woman, wearing no clothes, showed up a few hours later in Encino and told authorities her baby was missing.

The boy’s mother was in an Albuquerque hospital Wednesday. Authorities were considering filing charges against the woman, whose name was not released.


Grandson claims art was Holocaust theft

NEW YORK — The grandson of an Austrian woman who disappeared during the Holocaust is demanding restitution for a Gustav Klimt painting now owned by cosmetics magnate Leonard Lauder, saying the artwork was stolen from his grandmother’s home.

Mr. Lauder, who purchased the painting “Blooming Meadow” in 1983 from Manhattan gallery owner Serge Sabarsky, said his investigation found no evidence that the work ever belonged to the man’s grandmother.

The man, Georges Jorisch, 79, thinks the painting was first acquired by his great-uncle, Viktor Zuckerkandl, a Viennese steel magnate and friend of Mr. Klimt. After Mr. Zuckerkandl’s death in 1926, the painting passed to his sister, Amalie Redlich, said Mr. Jorisch’s attorney, E. Randol Schoenberg. Mrs. Redlich was deported to Poland by the Nazis in 1941 and was never heard from again.

Mr. Schoenberg thinks could be worth as much as $20 million.


Firefighters called to own station

BISHOPVILLE — Firefighter Brian Eargle is accustomed to waking up to fight fires.

But Mr. Eargle said he was jerked from sleep Tuesday night by coughing and quickly ended up having to fight a blaze at his own fire station.

Mr. Eargle managed to escape the fire, call for help and drive two trucks away from the burning building. He then pulled a hose from a firetruck parked outside to fight the blaze for about 10 minutes until his fellow firefighters could arrive.

The fire, which started in the lounge of the station, caused about $30,000 in damage, Lee County Fire Chief Mike Bedenbaugh said.


Nurse gives birth to child in SUV

CHARLESTON — David Harrah thought he had time for coffee before racing his pregnant wife and their eight children to the hospital.

Think again, Daddy.

Sherry Harrah gave birth shortly before dawn Tuesday to the couple’s ninth child inside the family’s new Ford Expedition alongside U.S. 119 in front of a Toys “R” Us.

“I told him I wasn’t going to make it,” Mrs. Harrah said Wednesday from her bed at Charleston Area Medical Center’s Women’s and Children’s Hospital.

As a labor and delivery nurse at Cabell Huntington Hospital, Mrs. Harrah said, she knew time was of the essence.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide