TONIGHT’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
The Nationals continue their efforts to play spoiler when they visit the Philadelphia Phillies. 7 p.m., MASN
TODAY ON WASHINGTONTIMES.COM
• Redskins 360 Blog: Is wide receiver Keenan McCardell headed to Washington?
TWT FIVE ” BEST MLB TEAMS TO MISS THE PLAYOFFS
1. 1993 San Francisco Giants: On the last game of the season, the Giants and Braves were tied with 103 wins atop the NL West standings. The Braves beat the Rockies, but the Giants fell to the Dodgers 8-0. With no wild card, the Giants became the last team with more than 100 wins to miss the playoffs.
2. 1980 Baltimore Orioles: Earl Weaver’s crew had one of the most balanced teams in baseball, ranking third in ERA and fifth in runs scored en route to winning 100 games. But a 7-11 record in April made catching the hot New York Yankees a tall order. Baltimore finished three games behind New York for the AL East crown.
3. 1954 New York Yankees:This team featuring Hall of Famers Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle, Phil Rizzuto and Whitey Ford pounded out 103 wins but still finished eight games behind the Cleveland Indians for the pennant. The Yankees have won 19 pennants since, while the Indians have won just two.
4. 1909 Chicago Cubs: One year after winning the World Series (their last), the Cubs won 104 games, allowing a ridiculously low 390 runs all season. But while the Cubs could prevent runs, the Pittsburgh Pirates could score them, allowing the Pirates to finish six wins ahead of the Cubs.
5. 1942 Brooklyn Dodgers: After winning the pennant with 100 wins in 1941, the Dodgers increased their win total by four. But they still finished one game behind the Cardinals for the NL crown. Manager Leo Durocher would be fired before the Dodgers could win another pennant.
WEEKEND PREVIEW ” WHAT TO WATCH FOR IN SPORTS
Pennant race baseball
Nationals at Phillies, Marlins at Mets, Diamondbacks at Rockies, Padres at Brewers. Four series to decide who lives on in the National League. Four series that prove why baseball is still the best sport on earth.
Eagles at Giants
The New York-Philadelphia rivalry is always intense, but imagine the electricity if this game takes place about 18 hours before a one-game playoff between the Phillies and Mets.
Vijay Singh and Ernie Els on the same team? Yeah, it’s arguable this event is much, much cooler than the Ryder Cup. Plus, Americans always fare better. Another win by the U.S. team would give it at least a share of four straight at the event.
No. 6 California at No. 11 Oregon
Here’s a game between two ranked Pacific 10 teams, and neither one is Southern Cal. Whoever wins this game will be playing the Trojans for conference supremacy and possibly even a national title shot.
Women’s World Cup final
The United States got bounced, but Brazilian star Marta makes this worth tuning in. The best part may be that the game will be over before noon, so it’s not cutting into (American) football.