- The Washington Times - Saturday, September 29, 2007

Authorities find child in sex tape

LAS VEGAS — A young girl who was seen being sexually assaulted in a homemade videotape has been found and is safe with relatives and sheriff’s officials, authorities said yesterday.

“She looks like a very happy 7-year-old girl,” Nye County Sheriff’s Detective David Boruchowitz said at a press conference late yesterday.

Chester Arthur Stiles, who was being sought for questioning, is now considered a suspect but remains at large, Nye County Sheriff Tony DeMeo said.

Mr. Stiles was tied to the family by a “several-tiered friend connection,” Detective Boruchowitz said.

The crime was committed in Las Vegas, where the girl was found, Sheriff DeMeo said. The girl’s mother was cooperating, he added.

“The mother was not aware of anything that went on with this young girl,” he said.

Court halts man’s execution

HUNTSVILLE, Texas — The U.S. Supreme Court halted the execution of a man convicted of killing his parents in the nation’s busiest death penalty state after agreeing to review another state’s lethal injection procedures.

The high court, which refused a similar appeal earlier this week from another Texas inmate, blocked state corrections officials Thursday night from executing 28-year-old Carlton Turner Jr. The order came less than two hours before the death warrant would have expired at midnight.

Turner’s lawyers had linked his case with an appeal from two Kentucky inmates who argued lethal injection is unconstitutionally cruel. Both states use similar injection procedures employing three drugs.

The justices on Tuesday agreed to consider the Kentucky appeal, and Turner’s case was viewed as a barometer of whether capital punishment in Texas could be placed on hold while the Supreme Court considers that case.

Student in custody after standoff

OROVILLE, Calif. — A student gunman held a high school drama class hostage yesterday, firing shots and holding three of the students for more than an hour before police persuaded him to surrender, authorities said. No one was hurt.

Police would not say what the 17-year-old’s motive might have been, but several students said he was distraught over a breakup with his girlfriend the previous night.

The gunman initially took about 30 students and a substitute teacher hostage in a band room at Las Plumas High School. He eventually released all of them except for three girls, Capt. Jerry Smith of the Butte County Sheriff’s Department said.

Deputies took the boy in for questioning after he surrendered and placed him in custody at Butte County juvenile hall, where he would remain at least until his first court appearance, authorities said.

Patriotic hydrant to be fenced

HILLSBORO, Ore. — The flag-painted fire hydrant that was removed because critics thought dogs would disrespectfully urinate on it is being reinstalled, but with a fence to keep the pooches away.

The hydrant was part of a dog park named for Hondo, a police dog killed chasing a suspect 10 years ago.

“While hydrants are playfully associated with dogs as a ‘target,’ this hydrant was specifically designed and painted to serve as a very personal tribute to a service animal killed in the line of duty,” Hillsboro parks spokeswoman Corinne Bloomfield said.

Since the hydrant was removed earlier this week, the department got responses from dog owners and war veterans in support of the tribute, “which is clearly the intent of this hydrant and does not disrespect Hondo, the U.S. flag or canine officers,” Miss Bloomfield said.

Woman forgotten in scanner for hours

TUCSON, Ariz. — A cancer patient says she was left alone in a CT scanner for hours after a technician apparently forget about her, and she finally crawled out of the device, only to find herself locked in the closed clinic.

Elvira Tellez of Tucson said she called her son in a panic, and he told her to call 911.

Pima County sheriff’s deputies went to the oncology office to assist her, said Deputy Dawn Hanke, a department spokeswoman. The deputies contacted the office manager, who was not aware of the situation.

Miss Tellez was taken to a hospital as a precaution, then released early the next day. She and her family said they wanted an explanation from the medical office, Arizona Oncology Associates. She said the technician did call to apologize the next day.

Ted Eazer, practice director for Arizona Oncology Associates, said yesterday that the group has revised its closing procedures so that no one is left in an office again.

From staff reports and wire dispatches

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide