- The Washington Times - Sunday, April 13, 2008

One day after having a two-goal lead erased in a disheartening loss, the Philadelphia Flyers received some uplifting news yesterday.

Forward Patrick Thoresen, who left Game 1 Friday night after taking a slap shot in the groin, was released from the hospital and returned to the team hotel while the Flyers practiced in Arlington.

Thoresen was taken to Washington Hospital Center after the game, and Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said surgery was a possibility. But after multiple tests, there were no procedures done, and Holmgren didn’t rule out Thoresen returning to the lineup today for Game 2 against the Washington Capitals when speaking with reporters yesterday at practice.

“The chance is there because there is nothing wrong right now,” Thoresen said through a team spokesman. “It’s just a matter of pain. Right now it doesn’t feel like I am ready to go because I am very sore. But I will keep icing the area today and keep trying to get the swelling down, and we will see how I feel.”

As he did in the game Friday, R.J. Umberger took Thoresen’s place on a line with Mike Richards and Joffrey Lupul during practice and Sami Kapanen was in Umberger’s old spot on the fourth line.

Thoresen had two goals and six assists in 38 games this season, including the last 17 with Philadelphia after the Flyers claimed him off waivers from Edmonton.

“It is certainly good news that it is something that doesn’t look like it will be long term,” Flyers coach John Stevens said. “We’ll see. We are always going to make sure we have the best interests of the health of the player in mind. We’re not going to put him in harm’s way by bringing him back before he’s ready.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide