- The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 16, 2008

ORDWAY, Colo. (AP) — Stunned residents surveyed the smoldering ruins of their homes today after a fast-moving wildfire swept through parts of this farm town on Colorado’s eastern plains, killing two volunteer firefighters, scorching grassland and forcing hundreds of people to flee.

That 14-square-mile fire was 90 percent contained. But another 15-square-mile blaze raged nearly out of control on a remote part of the Army’s Fort Carson after killing a firefighting pilot. And in the mountains of western Colorado, a third fire burned about 1½ square miles, damaged two buildings and slightly injured a fisherman.

Leading into Ordway, utility poles were destroyed, power lines and electrical transformers dangled precariously and grain storage facilities were blackened.

“How can I describe it? It’s really heartbreaking,” said Arthur Montanez Jr., 50, who lost his house and two dogs yesterday. “We worked our butts off to get this place. We spent our last six years to make this our home. And just in a short time for it to be like this, it’s shocking.”

All 1,200 residents of Ordway, about 120 miles southeast of Denver, were ordered to leave as the fire bore down on the town, pushed by 50-mph winds. The cause was unknown.

Eight homes were destroyed, state Sen. Ken Kester said. In all, the fire damaged at least 24 buildings, fire information officer Katherine Sanguinetti said.

By today, dying winds and rising humidity helped firefighters gain ground. Forecasters said rain and snow could fall by tonight.

Volunteer firefighters John Schwartz, 38, and Terry Devore, 30, died when their fire truck plunged into a ravine under a bridge that had been damaged by flames. It wasn’t immediately clear whether the bridge collapsed while the pair were on it or had fallen earlier.

Schwartz and Devore were corrections officers at a state prison outside Ordway and members of the Olney Springs Volunteer Fire Department. Schwartz is survived by three children, and Devore is survived by a wife and four children.

The Fort Carson blaze, about 60 miles south of Denver, was only 10 percent contained by midday today, forcing as many as 800 people to leave their homes. The cause was unknown.

A single-engine plane crashed after dumping fire-retardant slurry on the blaze yesterday, killing the pilot, Gert Marais, 42, of Fort Benton, Mont., said Fort Carson spokesman Maj. Sean Ryan.

Marais worked for a company that supplies aerial firefighting services to Colorado State Forest Service, Ryan said. The National Transportation Safety Board was investigating.

The third fire was burning near Carbondale in the western Colorado mountains, about 120 miles west of Denver. It was about 70 percent contained, and most area residents were returning to their homes Wednesday. That blaze was also under investigation.

George Merritt reported from Fort Carson. Associated Press writers Dan Elliott, Don Mitchell, Steve Paulson and Catherine Tsai contributed to this report from Denver.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide