- The Washington Times - Tuesday, December 2, 2008



Inmates injure prison guards

Three correctional officers were injured during a fight with inmates at North Branch Correctional Institution near Cumberland, the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services said Monday.

An agency spokesman said the incident occurred about 1 p.m. Saturday as inmates at the maximum-security institution were returning from recreational activities. None of the officers suffered life-threatening injuries.


Trooper shoots, kills violent man

State police identified a Fallston man fatally shot by a trooper during a violent struggle with police.

Police spokesman Greg Shipley said the incident started about 4:30 a.m. Monday after John Abbate, 52, broke into his sister’s home in Fallston and threatened to kill her.

Police said a trooper and two Harford County sheriff’s deputies tried to subdue Mr. Abbate with physical force and batons. An officer then used a stun gun twice, but the 300-pound-man removed the electric prongs from his body.

After Mr. Abbate choked a deputy and tried to grab his gun, Mr. Shipley said Trooper Sean Harris fired at Mr. Abbate.

Mr. Abbate was pronounced dead at the scene. Trooper Harris is on administrative leave and recovering from injuries to his arms and legs.


Fraternal groups want slots

The Ocean City Town Council is being asked to support possible state legislation allowing fraternal organizations to operate slot machines.

Ocean City Elks Lodge Treasurer Jim Flaig said his group has already raised the issue with state lawmakers in the area and hopes to meet with House Speaker Michael E. Busch, Anne Arundel Democrat, and Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr., Southern Maryland Democrat.

Mr. Flaig has sent a letter to the Town Council seeking its endorsement of the proposal.

Maryland voters approved a referendum Nov. 4 to allow as many as 15,500 slot machines at five locations across the state.

A bill that would have allowed fraternal organizations to operate slot machines for their members and guests failed in the General Assembly this year.


Renovations set for historic site

The city of Cumberland is getting a grant of more than $21,000 to fund repairs and improvements at George Washington’s headquarters in Riverside Park.

The city’s historic preservation coordinator said the grant will pay for repairs to the leaky roof and the water line and improvements to the lighting and electrical systems.

The officials also said many of the improvements were recommended by the Daughters of the American Revolution, which takes care of the building. The grant is coming from the Maryland Heritage Area Authority.

The city has asked that the site be included in the National Register of Historic Places. Washington used the log building as his headquarters during the French and Indian War.


Horse found shot on farm

A Wolfsville family said a horse on their property was fatally shot Saturday, the first day of gun season for deer hunters in Maryland.

Vernon Stottlemyer said his sister-in-law’s 12-year-old gelding, Prince, was found with a bullet hole in his stomach Saturday evening.

He suspects a hunter mistook the horse for a deer. Mr. Stottlemyer, who is a hunter, said the horse was killed with a bullet from a high-powered rifle.

Police said they had no immediate suspects.



Man charged in fatal crash

Prince William County police said a Woodbridge man is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of a pedestrian.

Police said Tamarr Williams, 24, was charged Saturday night in the death of Jeffery St. Germain, 44. Police said Mr. Williams was driving on Caton Hill Road about 10 p.m. when he hit a man. Mr. St Germain died at the scene.

Mr. Williams is accused of fleeing the scene of the accident and returning hours later.


State has fewer fires in fall

Virginia’s fall fire season has ended with far fewer scorched acres than the spring edition.

During the 47-day season that ended Sunday, the Virginia Department of Forestry responded to 67 fires that burned 304 acres. In the spring, more than 26,000 acres were burned by 1,244 fires.

Forestry Department Director John Miller said the wet weather this fall made the difference.


Suspect getting third trial

A man suspected in the slaying of a Highland Springs boy will stand trial for the third time.

John Bradley Crawford’s two previous trials ended in deadlocked juries. His third trial was scheduled to start Monday.

The defendant, 47, is accused in the slaying of Alexander Paul Glanz, 6, whose body was found Dec. 6, 1980. He had been sexually assaulted and died of exposure.

Hanover Commonwealth’s Attorney R.E. “Trip” Chalkley III said nearly 60 jurors had been summoned for this latest prosecution of Crawford.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide