- The Washington Times - Monday, December 22, 2008

JERUSALEM | Israel’s top security official warned Sunday that Gaza militants can hit more Israeli cities with longer-range rockets, on a day when rockets exploded in border towns and a coastal city after an Israel-Hamas truce expired.

Only one Israeli was lightly wounded in the barrage of 19 rockets and three mortars by nightfall. But after a weekend of heavy rocket attacks - and two Israeli air strikes in response - Israel’s government threatened to strike back hard.

One rocket exploded in Ashkelon, a city of about 120,000 on the Mediterranean coast 10 miles north of Gaza. In the past, Israel has responded harshly to attacks on Ashkelon.

Yuval Diskin, the head of the Shin Bet security service, warned Israel’s Cabinet that Hamas now has rockets that can reach the larger city of Ashdod farther north on the Mediterranean coast and even the outskirts of Beersheba, 30 miles to the east. Such attacks would increase the likelihood of an Israeli invasion of Gaza.

“The scenarios are clear, the plans are clear, the determination is clear, and so are the ramifications of each of the steps,” Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said at his Cabinet’s weekly meeting. “A responsible government is not happy to go to war, but does not evade it.”

The government has been under heavy pressure to react to the rocket fire, but the military has so far been wary of doing so for fear of casualties. In the past, large operations have not succeeded in stopping the rockets.

A truce between Israel and Gaza’s Hamas rulers expired Friday after six months. The truce had frayed since early November, and rocket fire at Israeli towns has been increasing steadily in recent days.

“The Hamas government in Gaza must be toppled, the means to do this must be military, economic and diplomatic,” said Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, who is in the running to become prime minister in elections Feb. 10. “Whenever they shoot at Israel, Israel must respond.”

Hamas spokesman Ismail Radwan blamed Israel for the collapse of the truce and said Palestinian factions would “respond to any aggression against our people.”

Israel has largely kept the crossings into Gaza closed in response to the rocket fire, a move that has caused shortages of fuel and basic goods in the territory of 1.4 million Palestinians.

On Sunday, one rocket scored a direct hit on a house in the town of Sderot, scattering rubble and furniture inside. “Everyone is traumatized,” the house’s owner, Maya Aviar, told Associated Press Television News.

No one was injured in that attack, but the Israeli military said a worker at a farming community near Gaza was lightly wounded in a separate rocket hit.

The Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad took responsibility for Sunday’s rocket fire. Abu Ahmad, a spokesman for the group, said Israeli citizens would “not sleep peacefully as long as Gaza children are not enjoying water, electricity, medicine and peace.”

Israel carried out two air strikes Sunday aimed at rocket launchers in Gaza, the military and Palestinian officials said. No one was hurt. Militants typically prepare rockets for launch and then fire them from cover a safe distance away.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide