- The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 24, 2008

CHICAGO | On one of the biggest travel days of the year, hundreds of Amtrak passengers bound for holiday destinations hunkered down in waiting rooms - some for nearly 24 hours - as snowstorms and Arctic cold delayed their trains and disrupted other Christmas traffic.

Don and Barbara Seifert, of Prophetstown, Ill., spent a sleepless, frustration-filled night at Chicago’s Union Station with hundreds of angry customers.

After waiting 12 hours for their New York-bound train to depart, their breath visible in the frigid indoor air, the Seiferts finally abandoned plans to visit their son and his family for the holidays.

“It’s spoiled our Christmas, sure,” Don Seifert, 73, said Tuesday before he and his wife headed back to their western Illinois home.

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said crews in some cities headed out with picks and shovels to clear snow-packed track switches; elsewhere, trains were held back to give lavatory pipes time to thaw.

Each train delay caused a ripple effect, with other trains and their crews at other points having to wait or readjust, he added.

“A combination of all those things is what presented this situation - about which we’re very regretful,” Mr. Magliari said.

Around 600 passengers in Chicago waited for up to 22 hours before finally boarding their delayed trains - the Lake Shore Limited, which was bound for New York, and the Seattle- and Portland, Ore.-bound Empire Builder.

Amtrak says several trains scheduled to leave Chicago on Tuesday were canceled. Passengers on shorter-distance trains were put on buses instead.

Many passengers weren’t happy with how Amtrak dealt with the delays.

Sydney Cochran, 68, was heading to Rochester, N.Y., to visit family and complained that Amtrak didn’t offer blankets, pillows or food overnight. She added that no one provided clear answers about when the train might leave, if at all. “I’m furious,” she said.

Barbara Gruenbacher of Manhattan, Kan., said she, her husband and four children shivered through the night despite wrapping themselves in blankets as they slept in the station.

“The lack of heat is what put people over the edge,” said Mrs. Gruenbacher, who was also heading to New York to visit family.

Mr. Magliari said Amtrak wanted to hear from any disgruntled passengers. “We want to document what occurred here to develop a better response next time,” he said.

Meanwhile, freezing rain was making driving hazardous Tuesday across parts of the nation’s midsection, including Kansas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Arkansas.

The Chicago Department of Aviation said more than 250 flights were canceled at O’Hare International Airport because of the weather, and many others were delayed.

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, the Pacific Northwest’s largest, was jammed with thousands of stranded travelers Sunday night and Monday morning. But most air service was restored Monday, and the number of people sleeping in the terminal early Tuesday was down to “a hundred, if that,” said Perry Cooper, an airport spokesman.

Greyhound buses began leaving Seattle at midday Tuesday after service was halted over the weekend, stranding some passengers at the station and at homeless shelters.

Los Angeles International Airport reported scattered delays Tuesday morning, including several flights to Seattle that were delayed.

&#8226: AP writers Tim Fought, Tim Klass and Daisy Nguyen contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide