- The Washington Times - Monday, December 8, 2008

PESHAWAR, Pakistan

Militants torched 160 vehicles, including dozens of Humvees destined for U.S. and allied forces fighting in Afghanistan, in the boldest attack so far on the critical military supply line through Pakistan.

The American military said Sunday’s raid on two transport terminals near the beleaguered Pakistani city of Peshawar would have “minimal” impact on anti-Taliban operations set to expand with the arrival of thousands more troops next year.

However, the attack feeds concern that insurgents are trying to choke the route through the famed Khyber Pass, which carries up to 70 percent of the supplies for Western forces in landlocked Afghanistan, and drive up the cost of the war.

It also dents faith in Pakistani authorities already under pressure from India and the U.S. to act on suspicion that the deadly terrorist attacks in Mumbai (Bombay) were orchestrated by Islamic extremists based in Pakistan.



The owner of one of the terminals hit Sunday denied government claims that security was boosted after an ambush last month in which bearded militants made off with a Humvee and later paraded it in triumph before journalists.

“We don’t feel safe here at all,” Kifayatullah Khan told the Associated Press. He predicted that most of his night watchmen would quit their jobs out of fear. “It is almost impossible for us to continue with this business.”

The attack reduced a section of the walled Portward Logistic Terminal to a smoldering junkyard.

Mr. Khan said armed men flattened the gate before dawn with a rocket-propelled grenade, fatally shot a guard and set fire to 106 vehicles, including about 70 Humvees.

Humvees are thought to cost about $100,000 each, though the price varies widely depending on armor and other equipment, meaning Sunday’s losses may exceed $10 million.

An AP reporter who visited the depot saw six rows of destroyed Humvees and military trucks packed close together, some on flatbed trailers, all of them gutted and twisted by the flames.

Mr. Khan said shipping documents showed that the vehicles were destined for U.S. forces and the Western-trained Afghan National Army.

The attackers fled after a brief exchange of fire with police, who arrived about 40 minutes later, he said.

Nine other guards who stood helplessly aside during the attack put the number of assailants at 300, Mr. Khan said. Police official Kashif Alam said there were 30.

At the nearby Faisal depot, manager Shah Iran said 60 vehicles destined for Afghanistan as well as three Pakistani trucks were also burned.

The attacks were the latest in a series highlighting the vulnerability of the supply route to the spreading power of the Taliban in the border region, which is also considered a likely hiding place for al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

The U.S. military in Afghanistan said in a statement that an unspecified number of its containers were destroyed but that their loss would have “minimal effect on our operations.”

“It’s militarily insignificant,” U.S. spokeswoman Lt. Col. Rumi Nielsen-Green said.

Still, NATO is seeking an alternative route through Central Asia, which it acknowledges is more expensive.

Pakistan halted traffic through the Khyber Pass for several days in November while it arranged for troops to guard the slow-moving convoys.

Shahedullah Baig, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry in Islamabad, insisted Sunday that the extra security covered the terminals.

“They are fully protected, but in this kind of situation such incidents happen,” Mr. Baig said.

Peshawar has seen a surge in violence in recent weeks, including the slaying of an American working on a U.S.-funded aid project. On Saturday, a car bomb detonated in a busy market area of the city, killing 29 people and injuring 100 more.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide