- The Washington Times - Sunday, February 10, 2008

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Space Shuttle Atlantis and its astronauts delivered a sparkling new lab to the International Space Station yesterday, but had to delay installing it because of a crew member’s medical problem.

One of the two spacewalking astronauts who was to help install the $2 billion European science lab, Columbus, was pulled because of a non-life-threatening condition. The installation won’t take place until today.

NASA officials would not say why German astronaut Hans Schlegel, 56, was being replaced, but Atlantis’ commander, Stephen Frick, requested a private medical conference with flight surgeons shortly after reaching the space station.

“I will just say it’s not going to impact any of the objectives of this mission,” said John Shannon, chairman of the mission management team. “It will cause us to rearrange a few activities.”

Mr. Shannon refused to elaborate, citing medical privacy. Mr. Schlegel’s status for the second spacewalk of the mission was still uncertain, he said.

Mr. Schlegel, a two-time space flier, was supposed to venture outside with American Rex Walheim on the first two spacewalks. Crewmate Stanley Love was supposed to go out with Mr. Walheim on only the third spacewalk.

Just a few hours after the station and the shuttle linked up, Mission Control informed the astronauts about the delay. Mission Control said Mr. Love would take the German’s place.

The delay in installing Columbus and carrying out the first spacewalk prompted NASA to add a 12th day to the mission. Yet another day could be added; NASA had hoped to spend an extra day at the space station to help set up Columbus.

The two spacecraft linked as they passed more than 200 miles above Australia. Just over an hour later, the 10 space travelers — seven shuttle astronauts and three station residents — threw open the hatches, laughing and shouting.

Just before docking, Atlantis did a 360-degree back flip so station commander Peggy Whitson and her crew could photograph the shuttle’s thermal shielding. Nearly 300 photos were beamed back to Earth so engineers could look for signs of launch damage.

Mission Control requested extra pictures of a torn thermal blanket on Atlantis’ right orbital maneuvering system pod, back near the tail. The small tear was along a seam, and occurred during the launch, said flight director Mike Sarafin.

Engineers were analyzing the tear and whether it posed a hazard for re-entry at flight’s end. The exact size of the peeled-up section was unknown, but it appeared to be smaller than one that required spacewalking repairs last June. Coincidentally, that tear was in a blanket on Atlantis’ left orbital maneuvering system pod.

“It’s probably not that big of an issue, but we’re off looking at it,” Mr. Sarafin told reporters.

The photos of the shuttle’s thermal shielding tiles are standard procedure, ever since the destruction of Columbia in 2003. Columbia’s wing was gashed at liftoff by a chunk of fuel-tank insulating foam. Only a small amount of foam is believed to have come off Atlantis’ tank, and none of it appeared to seriously damage the shuttle.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide