- The Washington Times - Saturday, February 16, 2008

Evangelical leaders for war, survey says

A survey of evangelical Christian leaders this month found a majority support the U.S.-led war in Iraq, but almost as many expressed serious reservations.

Most of those who responded to the National Association of Evangelicals’ survey back the war and want the United States to “stay until the job is done.”

Each month, the NAE chooses topics to measure attitudes of its board of directors, which includes top executives of 60 denominations and representatives of mission groups, universities, publishers and churches.

“Most evangelicals in America subscribe to the theological position called ‘just war’ theory, that it is morally justifiable to go to war under certain conditions,” said Leith Anderson, a Minnesota pastor and president of the NAE. “However, there is also a strong evangelical voice in the ‘peace church’ tradition that opposes all war.”

Pittsburgh lay leaders support chuch split

PITTSBURGH — Nearly 100 lay leaders in the Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh signed an open letter supporting their bishop’s plan to split the diocese from the national church.

The letter was in response to another letter written last month to Bishop Robert Duncan by 12 clergy outlining their opposition to the diocese’s plan to break away from the national Episcopal Church, the Anglican body in the U.S.

But lay leaders said in their letter that the diocese “can no longer travel with a national Episcopal body that is departing from its foundations.” In 2003, Episcopalians caused an uproar in the 77 million-member Anglican Communion by consecrating the first openly homosexual bishop, V. Gene Robinson of New Hampshire. The communion, a worldwide fellowship of churches that trace their roots to the Church of England, is now on the verge of schism.

The Pittsburgh diocese in November took the first of two steps toward breaking off and aligning directly with a like-minded Anglican province overseas.

Farrakhan opposes finance talk in court

HAMMOND, Ind. — Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan is challenging a federal magistrate’s order that he appear in court to explain why payments to his son are not considered income.

A motion filed Jan. 30 seeks to vacate U.S. Magistrate Andrew Rodovich’s order that Mr. Farrakhan and a financial representative of the Nation of Islam appear in court Feb. 25 to answer questions from the lawyer of a Gary couple seeking to collect $350,000 from Farrakhan’s 49-year-old son, Nasir.

Nasir Farrakhan lost a lawsuit after crashing his father’s Hummer into the car of Charles and Gladys Peterson in 2003 and leaving the scene. He has not paid punitive damages awarded, though the couple received $464,000 for their medical expenses from his insurance company.

The younger Farrakhan has said he cannot pay because he has no income, has never been employed and has no checking account or savings. He argues the $1,400 in cash he receives from his father each month is legally considered charity, even though Nasir Farrakhan has acted as head of the minister’s 20-man security force for many years.

The motion filed by Louis Farrakhan’s attorney states that Nasir Farrakhan’s statements did not contain evidence that he is employed by his father or the Nation of Islam. It also argues that the court does not have the jurisdiction to add Louis Farrakhan as a garnishee or the Nation of Islam because it does not derive substantial revenue or benefit from the state of Indiana.

Michael Back, the Petersons’ attorney, said he will file a response.

From wire dispatches and staff reports


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide